Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Decent midi controller for dorm room practice

Hello everyone,

I"ve read through a lot of threads on the topic of controllers here and on several other forums prior to posting 'another controller thread'. Long story short I am transferring to another college to further my education (yes, I"m sadly a member of Gen Z/tail end of the Millennials :sick:) this coming Fall (next August actually), this time over six hours from my music studio and gear. I will be living on campus as opposed to in an apartment or something else. It is required sometimes and the school will be in an area with frequent weather issues. Hence not being too far away is rather important.

Space in dorm rooms is pretty minimal, especially when you have a roommate as will likely be the case here. I will be at this college full time, but I am not majoring in music, so practice room access will be an issue. I don"t want to lose the muscle memory of over 15 years of playing and besides, music is a huge part of me and I sort of 'think' in music if you know what I mean. It"s also good stress reduction. I might literally go crazy without some creative outlet. :crazy::laugh:

So, I"m looking at midi controllers. Due to space issues, I think the largest I can fit would be a 61-key model; I need no less than 49 keys however as I am not really an Edm or hip hop person, I"m an actual pianist/keyboardist/organist and that"s the bare minimum I can play much on. I can buy Mainstage for $30 (since I"ll no doubt need a laptop anyways) or use the iPad in a pinch, so I don"t need built-in sounds. I"m needing this to be pretty compact, so I can accept pitch bend and mod wheels up above the keys instead of next to the keybed on the left (my preferred setup for gigging). I also want this to be something that will be useful after college, not just a toy; hopefully to use with hardware gear then.

Lots of stuff can be set in software, but I would like to have the following features in the controller hardware:

- decent keybed (aftertouch would be nice - again with the usefulness later aspect) - needs to have even velocity response as I do play piano aside from synths, organs etc, but as above I don"t need hammer action

- pitch and mod controls (wheels are preferable)

- eight or nine faders (nine is preferable for drawbars)

- some assignable knobs

- sustain and expression pedal inputs

- pads for patch changes and drums

- 5-pin and USB midi both

- (edit) Bus power as well as DC would be preferred

This will be my main keyboard for the next few years so I want to have a lot of options and not to outgrow it. I also hope to get plugged into a church band in the area, and maybe start a club on campus depending on the music situation, so it needs to be gigworthy and built decently. Plastic is fine, just not really flimsy or where everything flexes when pressed and played. My budget is up to $500.

I"ve done a bunch of research and so far the contenders seem to be the Arturia Keylab MKII, the M-Audio Code 61, and the Akai MPK249/61 (eight faders however). Anybody with experience with any of these, please comment.

I will start a different thread about the Code as I have a question about it but that doesn"t really pertain to this thread as much and it would get off topic here.

Suggestions, comments, thoughts?

Thank you,

-Max

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76, PC4 (88) | Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

"I will be at this college full time, but I am not majoring in music, so practice room access will be an issue."

Sorry to derail, but definitely check that. I bet there's some way you can get access to pianos.

And as a non-music major there's still probably lots of other ways you can take advantage of the music department--don't pass them up!

Like Domi shows the old saying..... Where there's a will there's a way. I like how she has the chart taped to the closet wall. There's a more recent YT of her guess she got access to a piano, but has her laptop in the music stand to sightread her transcription of OP.

[video:youtube]

Heck, I go to college practice rooms of a university I don't even go to, and they even know I don't go there! At night they have a monitor and you can just give them your ID in exchange for a key. During the day, it's unlocked and I can go any time. You're might be more strict, but I would definitely check in with the music department, often you can get to know people and talk them into letting you use the facilities.

Now, about a controller... definitely a good thing to have, even if you have access to a dorm. I had a TEENY TINY dorm room, the size of a large closet, I rearranged it so that I had the maximum space (had to put my bed on the floor to turn it sideways to fit). But I had an 88key Alesis QS8. Great lower-end workstation back in the late 90s, but kind of a beast being an 88. I typically find the physical length difference between 61/72/88 to not be so much of an issue as the depth. You can find yourself some really thin 88key controllers, some really fine ones too, and they'll probably take up less space in your room than most 61key boards. The StudioLogic Studio 88 is extremely compact, with full hammer action. If you're willing to trade the fully-weighted keys for an, even smaller footprint, lighter, and internal sound engine, the Numa Compact 88 looks great too. The Roland FP-10 looks to be in that range too.

Now, if you're dead set on a 61 key, I'm a big Arturia fan myself, and the Keylab61 mk2 looks to be a fantastic controller. I have the Keylab88 (mk1), which I love (built-in laptop rack ftw!), but is probably a little large for your needs.

Puck Funk! :)

Equipment: Laptop running lots of nerdy software, some keyboards, noise makersâ¦yada yada yadaâ¦maybe a cat?

Now, if you're dead set on a 61 key, I'm a big Arturia fan myself, and the Keylab61 mk2 looks to be a fantastic controller. I have the Keylab88 (mk1), which I love (built-in laptop rack ftw!), but is probably a little large for your needs.

I have the Keylab MKii 88 but if I were looking for a 61 I wouldn"t hesitate. I was seriously looking at one, but as I already had a 61 non-weighted controller per sé in a Mojo61, I went with the 88 weighted.

Here for the gear.

Allow me to point you towards the M-Audio Hammer 88 and Jon Regen's excellent Keyboard review of same. It offers a nice piece of editing/setup software, 2 pianos, does a few zones and has Jon's approval as a pianist himself. That makes it one to consider. If I still had piano-capable hands, I'd make a pilgrimage to Sweetwater so I could FEEL it and make The Big Decision. It seems like a perfect solution from my personal view.

KB review / Hammer 88

"I want to be an intellectual, but I don't have the brainpower.
  The absent-mindedness, I've got that licked."
        ~ John Cleese

I own an Arturia miniLab and it's build quality is awesome. I've heard nothing but good things about the brand.

If you end up changing your mind and getting an 88-key version, I'd consider a Nektar LX88+. It's semi-weighted and I use it at church.

Just in case and since you mentioned MainStage, be aware that it doesn't run on an iPad and isn't available for PC. Also worth noting is that many plugin producers are warning against updating to the Catalina OS, so something to consider if you go shopping.

The college I went to didn't have any music programs, but there was one in the student center (if you didn't mind the chance you would likely have an audience) and another tucked away in another building used for the choir club.

MainStage; Hammond SK1-73; Roland XP-80, JV-90, JV-1080, JV-1010, AX-1; Korg microSAMPLER;

Boss DR-880; Beat Buddy; Neo Instruments Ventilator; TC Electronic ND-1 Nova Delay

I don't own one (yet) but I'm eyeing the Behringer Deepmind 12 for less than 6 bills....my buddy is getting his in Friday so we plan on putting it through its paces. Build quality is good from what I remember, though it does have fans that some have complained about in a quiet spot, though they can be adjusted (I'd use it live so this isn't an issue). It has aftertouch as well, and you'd have a synth if you need one! 49 keys though.

Like Domi shows the old saying..... Where there's a will there's a way. I like how she has the chart taped to the closet wall. There's a more recent YT of her guess she got access to a piano, but has her laptop in the music stand to sightread her transcription of OP.

Yikes, I'd be afraid of that laptop coming down! Interesting solution but probably not good for the wrists.

Heck, I go to college practice rooms of a university I don't even go to, and they even know I don't go there! At night they have a monitor and you can just give them your ID in exchange for a key. During the day, it's unlocked and I can go any time. You're might be more strict, but I would definitely check in with the music department, often you can get to know people and talk them into letting you use the facilities.

Now, about a controller... definitely a good thing to have, even if you have access to a dorm. I had a TEENY TINY dorm room, the size of a large closet, I rearranged it so that I had the maximum space (had to put my bed on the floor to turn it sideways to fit). But I had an 88key Alesis QS8. Great lower-end workstation back in the late 90s, but kind of a beast being an 88. I typically find the physical length difference between 61/72/88 to not be so much of an issue as the depth. You can find yourself some really thin 88key controllers, some really fine ones too, and they'll probably take up less space in your room than most 61key boards. The StudioLogic Studio 88 is extremely compact, with full hammer action. If you're willing to trade the fully-weighted keys for an, even smaller footprint, lighter, and internal sound engine, the Numa Compact 88 looks great too. The Roland FP-10 looks to be in that range too.

Interesting...my impression is that it's pretty strict at the three schools I'm applying to so far, but I will definitely check with the individual departments. Good to know. Thanks!

That Studiologic looks great, but...pitch and modulation wheels are essential. Not for straight piano but I use a mod wheel especially for layers, filter sweeps, etc. I'd just like to have that as an option. Even the SL Mixface accessory doesn't have wheels, even with all the faders, knobs and buttons that it has. Pads for patch changes would be another piece of gear if I wanted them too. If only there were standalone wheels... :deadhorse:. The Keylab 88 is a little large for sure. Looks like a nice board though. Thanks.

I have the Keylab MKii 88 but if I were looking for a 61 I wouldn"t hesitate. I was seriously looking at one, but as I already had a 61 non-weighted controller per sé in a Mojo61, I went with the 88 weighted.

Ok, good to know. Thanks! Will definitely keep that one on the list (it's at the top right now).

I can"t imagine that you couldn"t stand an 88-key controller up in a closet and slide a decent foldable x-stand under your bed or something like that, to take out and set up whenever you want to practice?

I'll have to take measurements once I go back. Great idea though...could be really nice. Thanks!

Allow me to point you towards the M-Audio Hammer 88 and Jon Regen's excellent Keyboard review of same. It offers a nice piece of editing/setup software, 2 pianos, does a few zones and has Jon's approval as a pianist himself. That makes it one to consider. If I still had piano-capable hands, I'd make a pilgrimage to Sweetwater so I could FEEL it and make The Big Decision. It seems like a perfect solution from my personal view.

KB review / Hammer 88

Totally forgot about that one...no aftertouch but that's not essential. Does have the wheels, expression input, not terribly heavy. I would definitely have to try one out as the one thing I'm kind of picky about is weighted keybeds. I can play anything pretty much, but enjoying it is different. :-)

I own an Arturia miniLab and it's build quality is awesome. I've heard nothing but good things about the brand.

If you end up changing your mind and getting an 88-key version, I'd consider a Nektar LX88+. It's semi-weighted and I use it at church.

Just in case and since you mentioned MainStage, be aware that it doesn't run on an iPad and isn't available for PC. Also worth noting is that many plugin producers are warning against updating to the Catalina OS, so something to consider if you go shopping.

The college I went to didn't have any music programs, but there was one in the student center (if you didn't mind the chance you would likely have an audience) and another tucked away in another building used for the choir club.

Yep, I'm aware of Mainstage's compatibility/lack of such. I am not a big Windows fan (although Apple has slowly been making me dislike them more and more), so if I went for a laptop it would probably be a Macbook Pro (I hate the dongles now though...maybe a used refurbished one; off topic anyway). Thanks for the reminder on the OS. I wonder when they'll be shipping with Catalina. Probably not immediately.

How are the keys on the LX88+ compared to the LX49+? had an opportunity to play live on a friend's connected to Mainstage. In my opinion it was unusable due to the shallowness and touch sensitivity (although he might have just had the sensitivity set strangely - no dynamics at all). I elected to use the older low-end Casio digital piano they had instead if that gives you a hint.

Some of the colleges I've noticed have buildings with a piano in the basement somewhere - listed on their site. Nice but people might not enjoy my practicing of certain styles anyways.

I don't own one (yet) but I'm eyeing the Behringer Deepmind 12 for less than 6 bills....my buddy is getting his in Friday so we plan on putting it through its paces. Build quality is good from what I remember, though it does have fans that some have complained about in a quiet spot, though they can be adjusted (I'd use it live so this isn't an issue). It has aftertouch as well, and you'd have a synth if you need one! 49 keys though.

Didn't even think about that...cool idea. That said it's not really what I'm looking for...might as well have a dedicated controller eventually anyways...interesting idea though. Thank you.

I think the M-Audio is out. WAY too many issues I'm finding online now.

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76, PC4 (88) | Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments

• 3 months later...

Update: I've declared a music minor and have an audition later in the month. Looks like I'll need to practice on an acoustic regularly, or at least a full-88-key board.

In the meantime, any other suggestions/thoughts? I'm still debating the whole 61-key thing. As some of you have mentioned, there are some pretty narrow 88s out there depth-wise, which is very tempting so I'm not constrained so much. :idk: I've price-checked what an SL88 Studio plus needed accessories (compact stand, pedal unit, AKAI LPD8, Korg NanoKontrol 2, computer plate, music rest [saves on space]) comes to. It's about $1000 with tax, and that's before a carrying case/bag which probably adds on an additional $300 or so. A Keylab 88 MKII plus a stand is about forty dollars more, but has all the controls integrated, and wheels vs the joystick things on the SL. Add forty dollars for a sustain pedal if my current ones don't work. Only <1" difference in dimensions, and a 1lb weight difference. Of course I have to add on the cost of a suitable computer (which I'll need for more advanced classes anyways), and an audio interface that works (my current one is Thunderbolt 2, and I hear that apparently it doesn't work well with adapters). Part of me thinks maybe I should just get an SP6 or something like that with a variety of built-in sounds, but then you've got more depth issues and all that fun stuff. I figure I'll need a computer to use anyways for the rest of classes, so I had might as well use Mainstage or Analog Lab or something in that vein anyways.

M-Audio Hammer 88 lacks a lot of controls, but has my preferred pitch and mod wheel position. Not so easy to add on controllers, and it's longer overall than the others. If I'm going to go full Mainstage etc, it would be nice to have a lot of controllers available to make the most of that. It's got a really nice price though. All this is complicated by my discovery that some old music friends of mine are in a college worship band in the area, and would like me to play with them if I can. It's really too bad I can't just bring my Motif and Krome rig but there's no way. :nopity: I'm used to running tons of layers and splits with high-quality sounds, but looks like Mainstage or whatever can cover that fine. So it's just about the keyboard now.

More thoughts? Thanks so much!

As you have found for the total cost of a good quality you could buy a digital piano like a Roland FP30, Yamaha P125 or for its sheer lack of size a Casio S1000. All 88 keys and liveable with their actions, especially the Roland.

As a temporary and easily moved keyboard I recently bought a Yamaha P121 which is the 73 key version of the P125, connected up my iPad and I have all the Apps available to use and at 23 lbs it is quite light.

I did briefly have a Roland A800 controller with 61 keys which had a good action and assignable aftertouch. Out of the box you need to change a setting to get the iPad to see it, but all the Apps worked well, setting it up to the iMac was a bit more of a task.

Col

You are perfect candidate for Studiologic Numa 2CX or the cheaper Numa compact 2.

Take a Look here

Jack gets better all the time:

Above is the 2x, below the 2 (which lists at $499, and you can ask for at least 15% off that, same with the more expensive X) My favoriite (except for Chuck) reviewer: hit cc for subtitles:

Here is the special soft case not too much $$$

88 keys of course. The numa case works for either has a backpack mode. Very light. I have one, nothing is perfect, but it's pretty good for a light 88. You can power it USB and headphones are fine, normally it's plugged in to wall, but it can also use a small battery which will drive the onboard speakers and amp. Check the long thread if you get that far, I put links to batteries in there, on big one and one small one I think. The small battery is about $35 on amazon. The onboard speakers are totally usable in a small area for practice. For any gig you want more speaky: I use iLoud with it, and you could play a small room with just them.

It's 4 part (the X--you must check parts on the 2--not sure), and USB audio/midi, so your phone will play straight through, and a MIDI track could run it's drums. Nothing really beats these for the money. Onboard sounds are OK, not a huge number. I don't know the plain one, but the X will play two on board parts and 2 midi parts at the same time, and of course you could sequence the other two internal parts. X sliders easily programed to DAW or synth, but some aspects of MIDI a bit unfinished. The usual. Making knobs send midi might be hard, but a good DAW might recognise them.

Most cheap Hammer actions have far less MIDI and other options than these. The keys should have lighter springs, I think, but I'm used to them now. That might be a plus if you play alot of piano.

There are also some very good discontinued controllers, including fully weighted 7x versions of both Studiologic and Roland: no sounds with. You could find them used easy, and maybe one of these too. But it is very nice to have a practice board that does not need a computer or speakers, and you can ride a bike with that case, but you might have to lean forward ;)

RT-3/U-121/Leslie 21H and 760/Saltarelle Nuage/MOXF6/MIDIhub, 

SL-880/Nektar T4/Numa Cx2/Deepmind12/Virus TI 61/SL61 mk2

Stylophone R8/Behringer RD-8/Proteus 1/MP-7/Zynthian 4

MPC1k/JV1010/Unitor 8/Model D & 2600/WX-5&7/VL70m/DMP-18 Pedals

Natal drums/congas etc & misc bowed/plucked/blown instruments. 

• 1 month later...

Thanks everyone! So to update this thread, I had my audition and had a chance to talk with some of the faculty and take some measurements.

I ended up buying a used Kurzweil PC3 (76) for about $700 with a case from the classifieds here. No pads or knobs but it has everything else (wheels, pedal inputs, usb & 5-pin midi, nine faders) and 76 keys, plus nice built-in sounds, a good organ, and good build quality. Weight is manageable too and it"s not huge. I"ve been happy to find out that I can get a nicely-sized music locker to store my gear on campus so that"s a bonus.

In case anyone else is in the same situation and looking around, if I hadn"t found the PC3 I was going to go with the Arturia Keylab MKII 61 for size plus cost reasons. The Numa was too wide and the joysticks bug me...never put hands on them but I don"t like the Yamaha CP73/88 ones. The SwissSonic (thanks Synthoid!) had numerous complaints of the keybed failing after a year or so, and really no good reviews to offset it unfortunately; otherwise that looked nice.

Thank you everyone for your help!

Just catching this thread now...

Congrats on the purchase!

Make sure you get a good lock for the locker. Too many people have lost thousands worth of gear because of a cheap lock being too easy to bust.

Thanks for the suggestion! Anything in particular I should avoid? I have a few combination locks but they might not be heavy-duty enough to keep someone from cutting through them.