Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Working with other songwriters/composers

As musicians we get to wear many hats. I really enjoy wearing that arranger cap and working with other songwriter/composers and sharing in someone else's song. Last week I had the opportunity to work with Barbara Perry on a tune of hers. I was given a piano/vocal and the task of going "Disney" with it. The song is very well written and the vocal to die for so that makes my job easier. Anywho...here's the score as I wrote it...it could be cleaned up a bit, but you can see how the song is constructed if you follow along. I think she's written a great tune here. I used the Spitfire Orchestra and for rhodes glue the '85 preset in Rhodes Affair and the Ac piano is Keyscape.

• 3 weeks later...

• 3 years later...
  • 5 months later...

I'm with bill5 on this one! Last time I worked with other people was in an original prog band...I wound up paying for the rehearsal space, wrote all the material...even started piano lessons because we had a hard time finding a keyboardist and I had some basic skills and knowledge(I was playing just guitar at first)...now years later those piano lessons led to drum lessons and now I do everything myself in a home studio :)

Bill

• Like 1

http://www.billheins.com/

Hail Vibrania!

Wow you're where I wish I could be but realistically never will, musically. I guess I'm thinking more lyrically. For me I think it's just that I'm a possessive mother with my material and don't play well with others. :)  I dunno, I guess I just feel like whatever I write may not be great, but I at least want it to be "mine"....someone else coming in and changing things makes me feel like I'm letting some other guy nail my musical spouse and it's a bastard song. Maybe if I came into an existing song of someone else's and they were open to changes, I could work that way, but my stuff? Don't even go there lol 

4 hours ago, bill5 said:

For me I think it's just that I'm a possessive mother with my material and don't play well with others. :)  I dunno, I guess I just feel like whatever I write may not be great, but I at least want it to be "mine"....someone else coming in and changing things makes me feel like I'm letting some other guy nail my musical spouse and it's a bastard song. Maybe if I came into an existing song of someone else's and they were open to changes, I could work that way, but my stuff? Don't even go there lol 

Same here