Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Smallest computer device for gigging with PianoTeq?

I have a Casio PX-360 for solo cocktail piano gigs and am considering using PianoTeq on these gigs.

What is the smallest lightest, most portable, easiest computer device for using PianoTeq on live gigs?

The mini-laptops are the current solution? A USB memory stick would be ideal, but I think that's impossible.

Find 660 of my jazz piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book."

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I used a Core Duo laptop @ 1.8GHz years ago that worked fine using Kontakt and PianoTeq.

It the synths and VST FX that will gag a slower laptop.

Look into the little ITX Bricks from Gigabyte and Intel NUCs.

Magnus C350 + FMR RNP + Realistic Unisphere Mic

I have a Casio PX-360 for solo cocktail piano gigs and am considering using PianoTeq on these gigs.

What is the smallest lightest, most portable, easiest computer device for using PianoTeq on live gigs?

Voxpops has had good experience running it on a Surface Pro.

See post #2561403 at https://forums.musicplayer.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/2551271/Re_Is_anyone_here_making_music

and

post # 2574262 at https://forums.musicplayer.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/2506550/3/Windows_Tablet_as_a_Sound_Modu

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

The mini-laptops are the current solution? A USB memory stick would be ideal, but I think that's impossible.

The idea of running an O.S. from a USB stick is intriguing, operating systems can be virtualized, but I don't know what the limitations are. Input/output would be problematic. It's probably impossible as you say.

However, according to This Youtube Vid, it's possible to install a bootable Windows 7 on a USB stick. I'm not sure what they mean, exactly. I haven't tested this myself, I'm highly skeptical.

http://www.microcenter.com/product/440932/TW802_Tablet_-_Black

I own one worked with Pianoteq demo, though I use Galaxy D with it. Better sound to my ears. You will need a sound card with it and usb .

I use this because it is the smallest and cheapest I could find and sounds great.

BEHRINGER U-CONTROL UCA222

Also would Need something like this to expand USB ports

http://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-4-Port-USB-2-0-Ultra-Mini/dp/B003M0NURK/ref=sr_1_7?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1449517468&sr=1-7&keywords=usb+hub

The Tablet has two USB ports but one is a mini - you could use an adapter there. You need tow USB ports one to go to your keyboard and one to go to the soundcard.

You can certainly boot windows and other operating systems from usb, but you still need a computer to run it. A usb stick doesn't have a cpu or memory. It's also REAL slow running from USB as the i/o is not even close to even an old ATA type hard drive, let alone an SSD found in most tablets. It's good for testing an o/s without installing it, or using it to recover from a disk error or other troubleshooting methods, but you wouldn't want to run from it.

There isn't any way you could plug a usb with Pianoteq into the usb port of a keyboard and access it.

Live: Korg Kronos 2 88, Nord Electro 5d Nord Lead A1

Toys: Roland FA08, Novation Ultranova, Moog LP, Roland SP-404SX, Roland JX10,Emu MK6

www.bksband.com

www.echoesrocks.com

I am using a MacBook Air with an Intel I5 that I purchased new a few months ago. I did find it necessary to purchase a Presonus AudioBox USB as the 16 bit converters on the MacBook Air headphone jack sounded very dull to my ears. I velcro both to the top of my Acuna 73 for a very portable digital piano. Works great for jazz combo gigs. I never seem to tax the CPU past 25% - 30%.

I did consider embedding a NUC running Linux inside of the Acuna 73. But, at the end of the day, I decided velcroing the MacBook Air to the top of keyboard was easier, cheaper, quicker, and probably more reliable.

Yamaha CP-73, Hammond SK Pro 73, Yamaha MODX 7, Roland Fantom 06, Roland VK-8M, Yamaha FS1R

Its doable but I haven't tried yet.

A coworker of mine was working on it for a dual boot that was transportable.

You just take your stick and go.

We like the PowerBook form factor and screen.

And yes you can keep both Windows and OSX

running on the Mac but this is truly

Plug and Play.

I'll ask him if he finished, how it's done,

and what are the limitations.

John Peterson

DanL beat me to it. It sounds like you've tried this and it didn't fulfill your needs

This is interesting: Intel Compute Stick

Shaped like a USB stick, it has a CPU, it's a miniature computer. Maybe it's not exactly there yet for gigging with virtual instruments, but it might have promise.

Uses an HDMI port to plug into a TV or monitor.

Sells for approx $150. PC Mag review Here.

Interesting topic as I just tried Pianoteq 5 and it's the first version I've played that comes close to the big sampled pianos to my ears.

I think Pianoteq runs under Linux. I've just setup a Raspberry Pi as a media centre with IQAudio DAC+ for about $100. The Pi-2 has a 4-core ARM processor running at 900MHz with 4 USB ports. That would be a very cool solution if it could run Pianoteq. The IQAudio DAC+ sounds superb - Ti Burr Brown 384kHz DAC with 110dB S/N for £30.

Pianoteq recommend an i5 minimum. You need to take into account whether you will running it in stereo and the sample rate you wish to use. Pianoteq has many tweaking options. It would be a shame to compromise playability by running it on a sub optimal machine.

I am not certain that it is optimised for touch screens so a tablet may not be an option. A laptop will be best solution, built-in screen and keyboard and enough USB ports to plugin an external audio interface, if required, plus controller,

A misguided plumber attempting to entertain | MainStage 3 | Axiom 61 2nd Gen | Pianoteq | B5 | XK3c | EV ZLX 12P

I really doubt if Raspberry Pi would reliably run Pianoteq 5, even if it was possible to run it at all. Raspberry Pi is more of an experimental barebones computer for teaching computer concepts to students.

I'd go for a MacBook Air, like Rougarou mentioned, unless you're OK with Pianoteq crashing in the middle of your set. ;)

My understanding is that Linux version of PianoTeq is compiled for Intel and AMD processors only. I am pretty certain I read that somewhere, I just can't remember where at the moment. Even if it did run on a Raspberry Pi, I doubt those processors have enough power to be useful for PainoTeq. Although I run PianoTeq on a MacBook Air for gigs, in the studio I use a Windows 7 laptop. I have loaded and used PianoTeq with Linux. After testing a few versions of Linux, I found Ubuntu Studio to be the best.

Yamaha CP-73, Hammond SK Pro 73, Yamaha MODX 7, Roland Fantom 06, Roland VK-8M, Yamaha FS1R

I had it going on a $150 Linx Windows 8 tablet at very acceptable latencies. Think I went straight from my controller usb midi out to the tablet USB A in. The only issue was high polyphony settings but Pianoteq gives you the option to cap them anyhow.

I went straight from the headphone jack to my stage monitor. I can't remember what processor or RAM the tablet had sorry but I should hope that some of the newer ones would handle it capably.

That would be the route I'd explore if I wanted to take Pianoteq live. I should mention that my tests were done from the comfort of my dining room and not on location with all the heat, beer and sweat associated with a live venue ;)

Gosh I can't remember but I don't like to play with more than 128 samples for latency. What the system was racking up in total latency would be another thing.

More than anything the purpose of my post was to just share that indeed it can run on some modest Intel Atom Win 8 (mine was not Win RT) tablets.

edit/ Controller was a Studiologic VMK-161 Org

Intel NUC (DC3217BY) running Ubuntu Studio (Linux)

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/nuc/overview.html

http://wiki.team-mediaportal.com/@api/deki/files/3852/=nuc04.jpg

Find 660 of my jazz piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book."

Intel NUC (DC3217BY) running Ubuntu Studio (Linux)

Would you be confident gigging that with no screen? (Because if you need a screen, I'm thinking that the Microsoft Surface approach kind of solves the problem in a device that is basically the same size as the screen, no additional box needed.)

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

I don't think I need a screen for solo digital piano performances.

"If you just temporarily plug a keyboard, mouse and monitor at home just to install Pianoteq and do your live setup, you won't need them on stage at all... So then all you need is NUC, power cord and audio cables to connect it to a mixer."

E.D.

iPad mini would be nice, but PianoTeq is not there yet.

I don't think I need a screen for solo digital piano performances.

"If you just temporarily plug a keyboard, mouse and monitor at home just to install Pianoteq and do your live setup, you won't need them on stage at all... So then all you need is NUC, power cord and audio cables to connect it to a mixer."

E.D.

There's more to using a VST then just the CPU. How will you open the program? Tweak the parameters? Changing parameters of sound card? etc?

AvantGrand N2 | ES520 | Gallien-Krueger MK & MP | https://soundcloud.com/pete36251

Would be neat if the Peavey MuseBox ran Pianoteq. I wonder if anyone has hacked it yet to run whatever VSTs you like. I have a strong suspicion it's possible to do that - for any Receptor actually. I just did a search for "hack muse receptor", found a few links but nothing substantial. Maybe the market for interested Linux guys isn't big enough.

That said, my second choice would be a Mac MINI with a small touch screen LCD monitor. There are lots of solutions for hanging a Mac MINI on the back of a monitor. clonk

touch-base.com keeps a running list of touch screen monitors that work with their drivers for OSX.

Apple already made MainStage. Done.

Heck, I like this idea so much, I might do it myself.

If you're a Windows guy, a NUC might do the trick for VSTs with the right host.

NUC mount, clonk.

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

• 3 years later...

Elmer J, this is exactly what I have been doing for quite a few years. The Mac MINI is the last 2012 machine Quad Core i7 with 2 SSD"s inside. I don"t think you can fit more SSD"s inside the current crop but the new SSD"s are so small now that an external one hanging off one of the USB C ports is not inconvenient. I use an old iPad for my screen (the few times I need it) with 2 different apps - a VNC app called Screens and another called Duet Display. Driving the mac with a touch screen is not always ideal so sometimes I carry a bluetooth keyboard and mouse to make that easier during rehearsals when I"m still modifying things.

My 20212 i7 quad core is still very fast for running MainStage and BIG concert setups with things Like Ivory, Keyscape, Arturia V collection etc. The current crop of mac MINI"s would be stupid fast but watch the cost ballon on the current models once you start to pay Apple for their ram and bigger internal SSD. If you team this power with a feedback capable top keyboard like a Nektar Panorama and the weighted action of your choice underneath it"s a dream machine.

Paul Najar

Jaminajar music production

www.jaminajar.com

I play Pianoteq with an old Surface Pro 2 that I bought used for $200. It has the smallest footprint of all the Surface Pros as far as I can tell and sits on my top of my Acuna controller easily.

Numa X Piano 73 | Yamaha CP4 | Mojo 61 | Motion Sound KP-612s | Hammond M3

Zombie thread....

Well, it IS close to Halloween....

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

I ran PTeq on 1.8GHz Core 2 Duo laptop years ago.

Used a POS M Audio ES88.

Walk in set up use house system in front of the theater @ Planet Hollywood, play for 2 45 minute sets, pack up and add to 150 USD to my daily gross as I gig at night too.

A PX-5S would be just as viable.

Magnus C350 + FMR RNP + Realistic Unisphere Mic