Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Only 1 keyboard influence on desert island?

If you are stranded on desert island and you don't have a soccer ball but you do have the music of only one keyboard influence on MP3*, who would that be?

*Of course by some miracle you have an unlimited supply of fresh batteries and an MP3 player, and maybe some self powered monitors.

castaway533.jpg

AvantGrand N2 | ES520 | Gallien-Krueger MK & MP | https://soundcloud.com/pete36251

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Herbie Hancock. Thrust and Speak Like A Child are my desert island albums without a doubt; add to that all the Miles Davis classics plus his guest spots with Stevie Wonder and Milton Nascimento, I'm set for a while on that desert island.

My Site

Nord Electro 5D, Novation Launchkey 61, Logic Pro X, Mainstage 3, lots of plugins, fingers, pencil, paper.

That"s a hard one. Would have to decide between Cory Henry, Scott Joplin, and Peter James.

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76, PC4 (88) | Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments

Herbie Hancock. Thrust and Speak Like A Child are my desert island albums without a doubt; add to that all the Miles Davis classics plus his guest spots with Stevie Wonder and Milton Nascimento, I'm set for a while on that desert island.

Same here as they say you want to learn history of great jazz musicians get either all of Miles Davis albums or Art Blakey and Jazz Messengers everyone great was on those albums at some point. So for piano/keyboard for me it's Herbie Hancock from his BlueNote days as a sideman playing more traditional, on to Mwandishi band that morphed into the Headhunters, to his mixture of Jazz, Funky, EDM, and Pop. Duo with Chick Corea, Gershwin album on to today with Robert Glasper he covers it all. Plus he was a media composer about the time he was getting out of college and thanks to advice from Donald Bird he never signed away his royalties he financed he own career. He went to college on a piano scholarship, but love electronics switched majors and that is why he was a pioneer of synthesizers in Jazz.

Sadly for me it was in my aspiring recording engineer days I got to hangout with Herbie for a bit at one of the Milton Nascimento sessions. I wish I had know I would be heading back to playing, I would of had more to try and talk to Herbie about.

Herbie is da man.

[video:youtube]

Find 660 of my jazz piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book."

Tricky. I learned a ton as a kid by listening to (and aping) Jimmy Smith; it was my foot in the door for playing with some very skilled folks. I will always be grateful.

However, even though I am occasionally critical of some of his playing, there's a heck of a lot of compositional and improvisational chops to be gained from Keith Emerson -- not to mention an implicit course in 19th and 20th century music history.

Emerson by a nose.

-Tom Williams

{First Name} {at} AirNetworking {dot} com

PC4-7, PX-5S, AX-Edge, PC361

I'm not sure you'd need to worry about having to listen to just one artist. Assuming you can dig in the sand, the island will be riddled with buried Nord Leads from centuries ago, so you can make your own music.

I"d want to keep a positive attitude, so Scott Joplin. Or Walter Wanderley.

The fact there's a Highway To Hell and only a Stairway To Heaven says a lot about anticipated traffic numbers

People only say "It's a free country" when they're doing something shitty-Demetri Martin

Nord legs. Oh, sorry. Well, its a heretical view for a progger who reveres Patrick Moraz's duet period with Bill Bruford, but for sheer breadth and fascination, its a toss-up between Zawinul and Chick Corea. The former made synths uniquely lyrical and Chick's piano accompaniment on Stanley Clarke's "A Song For John" is a serious pinnacle.

"I want to be an intellectual, but I don't have the brainpower.
  The absent-mindedness, I've got that licked."
        ~ John Cleese