Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT: Favorite Movie Genre

Movie Genre  

69 members have voted

1. 1. Movie Genre

I know we all watch different movie genres at different times, depending on mood, season, etc. But if you didn't know what you wanted to watch, and decided to browse something like Netflix or other services by Genre, what would be your go-to genre more often than not?

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Make the O/p more to 'media ' . Some of us actually read or listen to books and authors.

Anything FBI Profiling, psychopath/socio path. Dexter and James Patterson are examples.

Why fit in, when you were born to stand out ?

My Soundcloud with many originals:

[70's Songwriter]

Now that there have been some votes, I'll elaborate a bit as to my curiosity, as well as ask a followup question.

It seems often there are some common interests within this group - like the recent cooking thread. I was curious if anything jumped out in this group with movie tastes, and clearly it appears to be SciFi. Doesn't really come as a surprise.

Next, have you noticed fans of a particular genre tend to be any more evangelical than others? You know the jokes about knowing if somebody does crossfir because they'll tell you......constantly? I could readily identify several friends from Facebook who are horror fans because they are always posting stufff. I'd say the same is true for some types of sci-fi - namely Star Wars, Star Trek, and any kind of D.C. Or Marvel superhero stuff. Can't say the same about other genres...."oh that Bill, he's a real sucker for those comedies".

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

Make the O/p more to 'media ' . Some of us actually read or listen to books and authors.

Anything FBI Profiling, psychopath/socio path. Dexter and James Patterson are examples.

Really? I recoil every time I see a new movie or tv series made that focuses on what sick people do, esp the smart ones, it seems like there's an endless parade of this focus and fascination on the unfeeling or vicious or inhuman characters. I've also been very averse to horror movies- it's like, why would I program myself to be paranoid and suspicious, expect the worst, see the absolute worst in people-?

I enjoy FBI profiling as well, I really enjoyed The Black List with James Spader, seeing the entire squad of top fbi agents begin to become less black and white about what it means to be the good guy.

And lots of the super hero stuff is top shelf as well, as a genre it's really come a long ways. Speaking of which, watched part of Superman Returns, 2006, and it just doesn't cut it. To see how boring people were in the 50's and 60's, so conservative with little flair and edge, even freakin' Superman acts like a timid wuss who never gets laid (as Clark Kent). I suppose if you're raised on a farm and have always been an outsider you might be like that, but must have been rough for the script writers to make it interesting.

It's just all the damn violence I object to, to have to see yet one more scene of people beating on each other- i usually just fast forward thru that unless it's super well done.

Numa Piano X73 /// Kawai ES920 /// Casio CT-X5000 /// Yamaha EW425

Yamaha Melodica and Alto Recorder

QSC K8.2 // JBL Eon One Compact // Soundcore Motion Boom Plus 

Win10 laptop i7 8GB // iPad Pro 9.7" 32GB

You left out my favorite sub-genre: Submarine Movies!!!

"Ryan, be careful what you shoot at; most things in here don't react well to bullets."

Muzikteechur is Lonnie, in Kittery, Maine.

HS music teacher: Concert Band, Marching Band, Jazz Band, Chorus, Music Theory, AP Music Theory, History of Rock, Musical Theatre, Piano, Guitar, Drama.

Really? I recoil every time I see a new movie or tv series made that focuses on what sick people do, esp the smart ones, it seems like there's an endless parade of this focus and fascination on the unfeeling or vicious or inhuman characters.

really ? So you are not interested in Dexter ?

Yes, I understand psychopaths/sociopaths are anti-society , a mental illness.

To connect the dots, FBI Profiling gets at the root of this.

While this topic is entertainment, the arts reflects real life.

If you don't like a genre, ignore it. Thats perfectly ok.

I like the bigger picture, I don't believe all of us should stick our heads in the sand .

Someone has to be interested in deeper/difficult problems, which are worth solving.

Why fit in, when you were born to stand out ?

My Soundcloud with many originals:

[70's Songwriter]

Um, this kind of question is fatally a bit too generic. I am a sci-fi fan, for example, but not a big fan of Star Wars or Star Trek. I love good movies in many different genres.

Many people seem to appreciate tv series lately, but I still prefer movies. And most sci-fi movies *must* be seen in a theatre.

Btw, having to make a choice, my vote goes to sci-fi, simply because I watch more sci-fi movies than any other genre.

Really? I recoil every time I see a new movie or tv series made that focuses on what sick people do, esp the smart ones, it seems like there's an endless parade of this focus and fascination on the unfeeling or vicious or inhuman characters.

really ? So you are not interested in Dexter ?

Yes, I understand psychopaths/sociopaths are anti-society , a mental illness.

To connect the dots, FBI Profiling gets at the root of this.

While this topic is entertainment, the arts reflects real life.

If you don't like a genre, ignore it. Thats perfectly ok.

I like the bigger picture, I don't believe all of us should stick our heads in the sand .

Someone has to be interested in deeper/difficult problems, which are worth solving.

Only watched a few episodes of Dexter. I find the premise of being a serial killer that hunts down serial killers pretty OK in my book. Vigilantes don't always get it right, but the criminal justice system is probably even more flawed. Have never seen James Patterson.

I was reacting more to the psycho/sociopaths. There seems to be a ghoulish fascination with truly awful people who do the most heinous things or take perverse pleasure in inflicting pain. The TV series Gotham was pretty entertaining up until they started having this round robin of psychotic/mentally ill folks who always laugh maniacally when they're doing something shitty- very boring and stupid. At least the Riddler and Penguin in that series are real people that have a back story.

But yeah, point taken, everyone has a different take on any given tv/movie. I'm a bit like my mom, she was a total lightweight, didn't like too much violence (or sex!). So what are some of your fav book genres?

Randy

Numa Piano X73 /// Kawai ES920 /// Casio CT-X5000 /// Yamaha EW425

Yamaha Melodica and Alto Recorder

QSC K8.2 // JBL Eon One Compact // Soundcore Motion Boom Plus 

Win10 laptop i7 8GB // iPad Pro 9.7" 32GB

Sci-fi here. Star Trek, StarGate (shows and movie; didn"t like Universe though), Star Wars (I actually like the prequels better than the main trilogy - sacrilege I know), Lost in Space, Twilight Zone, Independence Day, Jurassic Park series, etc. Definitely some crossover here and there, like there"s a Three Stooges alien film, and documentaries on things like the Aurora, TX incident.

Comedy is my second choice, but old comedy more often than not.

What category are dog movies in? That might be number two actually.

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76, PC4 (88) | Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments

Sci-fi, horror, documentaries, music/musicians, baseball.....like all that stuff.

Favorite "genre" would be old, crappy, usually foreign monster movies. Bad flix can be just as entertaining as great ones.

I'd rather watch Buckeroo Bonzai than The Great Gatsby.

Professional musician = great source of poverty.