Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Autotuned?

hey gang, came across this tune, a piece of pop magic in my view. The girls' vocal during the chorus sounds like it might be autotuned, not sure. In any case, autotuning vocals is obviously controversial and sacrilege to many (including me), But seems if used thoughtfully and supports the song and message, it is a formidable production and songwriting weapon. In this case - if it is true, it's used really effectively.

[video:youtube]

Some music I've recorded and played over the years with a few different bands

Tommy Rude Soundcloud

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Excellently produced. Beyond polished.

The vocals sound like they were indeed judiciously tuned, but tastefully...probably Melodyned as well. They're doubled or tripled via what sounds like a plugin or two. It doesn't sound like vocal multi-tracking...which gives this an interesting sound.

Great video effects too.

Excellently produced. Beyond polished.

The vocals sound like they were indeed judiciously tuned, but tastefully...probably Melodyned as well. They're doubled or tripled via what sounds like a plugin or two. It doesn't sound like vocal multi-tracking...which gives this an interesting sound.

Great video effects too.

Ahh... Melodyne, I had to look that up (been out of the studio for about 2-3 decades). Gives a whole new meaning to "fix it in the mix!"

Tommy Rude Soundcloud

I think it's hard to find a song, pop or not, that hasn't had at least some pitch correction these days. I think the factor is, "is it done tastefully and allow the singer's organicism to come through". To me, music isn't a sport, I don't really care how much has been tweaked or if the musicians did every minute thing correctly, as long as it sounds good in the end. My only real reservation with autotune is that done incorrectly it can obscure otherwise great inflections.

Autotune as a creative effect is fine. T-Pain really had something there, major props to him, he made it part of his own voice... until everyone came along and copied him. But T-Pain wasn't using it to cover up vocal problems, he was using it for a creative sound. Now it's just boring.

Puck Funk! :)

Equipment: Laptop running lots of nerdy software, some keyboards, noise makersâ¦yada yada yadaâ¦maybe a cat?

I think it's hard to find a song, pop or not, that hasn't had at least some pitch correction these days. I think the factor is, "is it done tastefully and allow the singer's organicism to come through". To me, music isn't a sport, I don't really care how much has been tweaked or if the musicians did every minute thing correctly, as long as it sounds good in the end. My only real reservation with autotune is that done incorrectly it can obscure otherwise great inflections.

Autotune as a creative effect is fine. T-Pain really had something there, major props to him, he made it part of his own voice... until everyone came along and copied him. But T-Pain wasn't using it to cover up vocal problems, he was using it for a creative sound. Now it's just boring.

right right... In this song's case it has to be completely intentional. This is a masterfully crafted, produced and performed song, listening to this with some volume - holy crap! The parts that caught my ear happen just a few, very brief moments - the high notes when she's singing the chorus "solid gold", there's a slight 'chipmunk' tinge to it.

Tommy Rude Soundcloud