Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

keyboard bench chair with backrest?

Anyone using a keyboard bench with a back rest? Been having back problems with using a standard bench. Any recommendations. I've looked at the

On-Stage Stands DT8500 Throne with Backrest at Sweetwater http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Throne/

and

ProLine PL2100 Musician's Performance Chair http://www.music123.com/accessories/proline-pl2100-musicians-performance-chair

at music 123 (this one I tried at Sam Ash and didn't like it much.

Nord electro 3 73, Casio Px-5s, Yamaha SY-85, A&H ZED FX mixer, 2 QSC K8.2s

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My drummer has extremely serious back problems, crushed discs between L7 and L1. He uses a drum throne with lumbar support, it's built like a bike seat with a lip at the back. You might look into something like that, too.

BTW a back rest is not the answer, depending on the type of back problem you have. Check with a PT/ergonomist if you are serious about a solution.

Hammond: L111, M100, M3, BC, CV, Franken CV, A100, D152, C3, B3

Leslie: 710, 760, 51C, 147, 145, 122, 22H, 31H

Yamaha: CP4, DGX-620, DX7II-FD-E!, PF85, DX9

Roland: VR-09, RD-800

Fellow keyboard player - as distinct from a bored player 0_0

highly recommended this small company

http://www.soundseat.com/ and yes they have a back support not inexpensive though

You don't have ideas, ideas have you

We see the world, not as it is, but as we are. "One mans food is another mans poison". I defend your right to speak hate. Tolerance to a point, not agreement

I use an old office chair like RABid uses. It doesn't give me back support while playing but at least offers a backrest between songs.

'57 Hammond B-3, '60 Hammond A100, Leslie 251, Leslie 330, Leslie 770, Leslie 145, Hammond PR-40

Trek II UC-1A

Alesis QSR

• 6 years later...
+1 for the Gibraltar suggestion. I use what I believe is the 9608HM and while it doesn't have a backrest, it's very comfortable.

I second the Gibraltar suggestion. I had 9608HM for several years, was using it both for practice and gigs. But during this February I got injured and started having problems with my back and legs. My keyboardist suggested me this page about choosing the best drum throne for back problems. In his opinion I should pick either Roc-n-Soc nitro which he uses or Gibraltar 9608MB. I tried both and liked both, but decided to stick with a familiar brand, because it's sturdy and definitely suits a 220 lbs guy like me.

If you believe very strongly in something, stand up and fight for it.

I"m on my 3rd On-Stage Stands DT8500. But I had to stop using it as my only seat because it will screw up your hips and your back over time. I"m 5"10'. Maybe if you"re over 6" it won"t be an issue. I actually brought it into the office of both my chiropractor and my massage therapist and they both told me to stop using it because of the way I needed to sit on it in order to use a sustain pedal. It"s really an acoustic guitarist"s seat, made to put your foot or feet up on the bar. I now use it about 30% of the time, along with an Ultimate Support JamStands padded bench. But I may be an outlier, as I play a lot of gigs. If you"re not playing full-time it prolly won"t be an issue.

The fact there's a Highway To Hell and only a Stairway To Heaven says a lot about anticipated traffic numbers

People only say "It's a free country" when they're doing something shitty-Demetri Martin

I'm thinking about possibly going with the Gibraltar 9608MB. I have one question that I cannot seem to find the answer to - What is the weight limit on this? I weight 300 lbs, and will sometimes bounce a bit during a more enthusiastic solo, so I need to make sure my bench can handle the weight.

"In the beginning, Adam had the blues, 'cause he was lonesome.

So God helped him and created woman.

Now everybody's got the blues."

Willie Dixon

When I started playing I had a cheap Yamaha slab with an X-stand and used a office chair with wheels. When I got my RD-2000 came with the Roland adjustable bench as part of the package I got. I used the bench for awhile, but it was really hurting my back so switched back to using the office chair and so much better on my back having some support. Also I'm a big guy weight wise and that bench the padding wasn't doing much for my "sit bones" as I've heard people refer to them as.

I notice in YouTube a lot of people using high back office chairs or gamers chair both with arms that can be lower way down or removed. Something like that may be in my future as age is causing some back issues.

The back issues are why I'm looking to make a change.

During the gig, it does not bother me most of the time, but by the time I get home, my back is so stiff I can barely move.

And it gets worse the older I get.

"In the beginning, Adam had the blues, 'cause he was lonesome.

So God helped him and created woman.

Now everybody's got the blues."

Willie Dixon

I have not found a bench with a backrest that was easily portable and reasonably affordable, so I built my own.

Here's a pic of my previous bench, modified from a lowly X bench. The back rest really helped with my back pain.

http://www.hotrodmotm.com/images/newrig/backrest2.jpg

Moe

---