Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

GSi new piano for Seven and Gemini

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Can I have a small portion of those Venice Grand samples replace the Acoustic Piano samples in my Mojo 61?

Find 660 of my jazz piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book."

Cudos. The demos show the source instrument has a nice timbre, they captured a variety of dynamic levels that seem to switch smoothly,

I personally did not love the action on the Seven for acoustic pianos - but I did not have a manual and opportunity to adjust its velocity curves - although I am not sure that feature is included on the instrument.

I believe you can adjust velocity response in the modeled instruments. Maybe an owner can chime in on this.

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

Well it sounds pretty good on the videos but so did the original Venice grand...

The original gsi gemini grand and then the original Venice grand both sounded good on their videos and their website but they just didn't translate into good sounding piano's on my spacestation through my Kurzweil controller.

Whether it's my hardware or my personal taste I'm not using either because i find even the old triple strike piano is better, so it will be interesting to see how this new one sounds.

Odd because all their other sounds in the Gemini desktop unit have been stellar.

Kurzweil PC3K8/ GSI Gemini Desktop/ ESI UNIK 8+ monitors/ QSC K8.2/ Radial Key Largo/ CPS Spacestation 

Well it sounds pretty good on the videos but so did the original Venice grand...

The original gsi gemini grand and then the original Venice grand both sounded good on their videos and their website but they just didn't translate into good sounding piano's on my spacestation through my Kurzweil controller.

Whether it's my hardware or my personal taste I'm not using either because i find even the old triple strike piano is better, so it will be interesting to see how this new one sounds.

Odd because all their other sounds in the Gemini desktop unit have been stellar.

Perhaps your Kurz piano sounded OK, but in general it's well-known that the SS falls short as a piano amp, but is mostly OK for everything else. Have you tried these pianos with an amp that is more piano friendly?

Numa Piano X73 /// Kawai ES920 /// Casio CT-X5000 /// Yamaha EW425

Yamaha Melodica and Alto Recorder

QSC K8.2 // JBL Eon One Compact // Soundcore Motion Boom Plus 

Win10 laptop i7 8GB // iPad Pro 9.7" 32GB

The one annoying feature (to me) on every acoustic piano has been that the sustain pedal oversustains. Holding down the sustain just becomes a wash of sustained notes that doesn't sound good at loud volumes. This is the first acoustic piano that sounds as though he's tempered the sustain pedal so that if you hold it for more than 1/2 of a second the sound doesn't turn into a wash of noise. I'll only know when I run it through my rig at high volume whether this will hold true (when he releases it for the Gemini). I hope so. I sometimes also go to the triple strike on piano solos for this very reason.

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil Forte7 & PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

The one annoying feature (to me) on every acoustic piano has been that the sustain pedal oversustains. Holding down the sustain just becomes a wash of sustained notes that doesn't sound good at loud volumes. This is the first acoustic piano that sounds as though he's tempered the sustain pedal so that if you hold it for more than 1/2 of a second the sound doesn't turn into a wash of noise. I'll only know when I run it through my rig at high volume whether this will hold true (when he releases it for the Gemini). I hope so. I sometimes also go to the triple strike on piano solos for this very reason.

A piano note should decay identically whether the sustain pedal is down or you are merely holding notes down with your fingers. Do you find these pianos similarly decaying insufficiently when you just hold keys down while playing others? If that seems fine, I wonder if the "wash" could be from the implementation of pedal-down sympathetic resonances, and there might be an adjustment for that?

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

When I mentioned this to Guido he suggested in a post a year ago about backing off the resonances which in this case is the piano harp in the "sample player". I have the harp setting on minimum but it is still over the top. However the venice grand open appears to be far less resonant than the others. We'll see when he releases it for the Gemini.

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil Forte7 & PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

I have the harp setting on minimum but it is still over the top.
Do you play find the problem more noticeable when playing in mono than when playing in stereo?

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

The Gemini doesn't have mono, just panning. So I have panned the organ one way and all other instruments the other way. So there are still some residual stereo effects coming from the other output but barely noticeable. The possibility does exist that the stereo effect being pushed out of one output could contribute to the problem.

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

Perhaps your Kurz piano sounded OK, but in general it's well-known that the SS falls short as a piano amp, but is mostly OK for everything else. Have you tried these pianos with an amp that is more piano friendly?

No, I havent. I realize the Spacestation isn't the best amp to be using when it comes to pianos, but it's what I have at the moment.

I'm looking to upgrade to a pair or maybe even a single QSC k8.2 powered speaker but have held off till I can afford it. I hate to sell the Spacestation to finance the QSC just in case I'm unhappy with it and end up regretting the move. As you know there is so much discussion on this site about which speakers are superior so I have held back on my next purchase while digesting everyone's comments about what they recommend.

The Spacestation is a good all round little unit and I would recommend it to anyone that isn't solely using it for piano amplification.

Kurzweil PC3K8/ GSI Gemini Desktop/ ESI UNIK 8+ monitors/ QSC K8.2/ Radial Key Largo/ CPS Spacestation 

I find the SS pretty decent for piano, the stereo image thing in particular is very nice when playing solo or in small combo only putting vocal into small PA.

It lacks some low end, and some like to put a sub under it.

Of course 2 PA speakers with wide frequency range set to V out is a step up, but an SS when doing AP, EP, Organ accompanying is quite nice.

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

Can I have a small portion of those Venice Grand samples replace the Acoustic Piano samples in my Mojo 61?

It may be unfounded to assume that a version small enough to replace the existing sample set would be any better than what's there in any technical sense, rather than just different. Though there's always a subjective element to just which of two piano timbres someone may prefer which could make an option worthwhile regardless. That's essentially the idea behind Nord offering so many options even if comparably sized, after all.

I'm looking to upgrade to a pair or maybe even a single QSC k8.2 powered speaker but have held off till I can afford it. I hate to sell the Spacestation to finance the QSC just in case I'm unhappy with it and end up regretting the move.

If you're really thinking about a pair anyway, then maybe get one QSC to start, and then decide whether to sell the Spacestation to get a second. But also, there are a number of players in the big SS thread who talked about actually liking combining a single QSC (or similar) with the Spacestation in a vertical stack of some sort, to kind of get the best of both.

EQ can help get a better piano sound out of the SS itself. I remember being impressed with what I could do with about a 3 dB dip on my mixer channel, though I don't remember the frequency (the board's EQ was semi-parametric).

I just installed it in my DMC/Gemini. No problem with oversustain, but I need to tweak the velocity curve some more, right now it have to much bite :crazy:

Will try it from a HA keyboard later.

I am normally using another keyboard for AC piano, but it are nice to have the all in one option.

But I have a general problem with all the Gemini AC piano`s from the sample player, they are all so damn loud when I recall them from a preset. I have tried to turn them down in the preset, or set the channel to ignore preset volume, still they can waken up the house when going from another sound to a piano preset.

/Bjørn - old gearjunkie, still with lot of GAS

Remember there is the option to load preset with saved volume. So you can adjust the volume of any of your presets if they are too loud. Just remember to check that option is selected on the home page of the Gemini editor. I like the fact the mellotron samples aren't looped.

Remember there is the option to load preset with saved volume. So you can adjust the volume of any of your presets if they are too loud. Just remember to check that option is selected on the home page of the Gemini editor. I like the fact the mellotron samples aren't looped.

Yes I realize that and is what I have done. They are very good Mellotrons as well.

• 2 weeks later...
I've used the Venice Open in two shows. A little crisper than the original Venice and much better balanced across the keyboard. Definitely sounds different and better than the original Venice. I thought it was a little compressed , the dynamics were mild. I moved the velocity parameter out to about 77-80 and it feels more natural. The sustain on this piano does not overly sustain meaning holding down the sustain does NOT sound like a mush of notes, it sounds much more natural,. With the original Venice I had to move the harp to zero, with the open I have left it at 64. This piano is definitely more usable than the previous three.

Delaware Dave

Exit93band