Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

AXS Rock Documentaries

Okay. Old man huff here. Admittedly.

But, man, every time I happen upon an AXS so-called documentary about rock music, my tush hurts. I can't say this happens with ALL documentaries broadcast by the channel, but the ones I have seenâfor the 5 minutes or so that I could stomach themâtypically trigger 5 pain points for me:

[1] Bland, vacuous, and, at times, silly intel about artists that could have been curated from Wikipedia with zero depth, no surprises, and very little informational value for anyone who would have 3.7-percent knowledge of the musician(s) being profiled.

[2] Young pretty peeps who appear to have little concept of what they are talking about beyond reading a script culled from, well, one guesses Wikipedia, but they DO look nice babbling on at least.

[3] Redundancies R US. Sigh.

[4] Annoying sound byte designed quotes abound. "You know, Brian Wilson wrote songs while SITTING IN AN ACTUAL SANDBOX." Oh boy...

[5] Even the on-screen "professional musician/producer/manager/sideperson/roadie" talent that should know betterâor possess deeper information on the subject at handâare edited for sound bytes and sadly appear far less-eloquent than they really are. Are brains devalued that much on these things?

I wish I owned a big-ass media company in order to produce well-researched and valuable data on the community I love.

Or maybe not.

Old-man relevance issues surging upward: Perhaps that endeavor would fail miserably because popular culture today values brief nothings far more than deep data.

Your thoughts?

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I pretty much stay away from You Tube vids and documentaries. I only watch a little comedy on the TV, Netflix, and Prime. Pretty much the rest of TV including most documentaries bores the heck outta me. Secondly I only have over the air TV, no cable, no sattelite, I do not have AXS TV whatever that is.

Pluto is a Free streaming service on Roku that has a whole channel of music docs.

I had music docs where they didn't pay for or obtain the rights to the music, so they don't ever actually play any of the artists music or have live clips. Just narration with pictures, interviews from others on historical record, and pictures and video with other background music.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

I'm with DBM - I watch very little on YouTube, and none of their channels. Too many pointless "unboxing" vids, or gear demos by people who should learn to play their instrument, first.

In fairness, I seldom see any Rock Doc that's in any way revealing or ground-breaking, doesn't matter what it's on.

"Monsters are real, and Ghosts are real too. They live inside us, and sometimes, they win." Stephen King

http://www.novparolo.com

https://thewinstonpsmithproject.bandcamp.com

I'm a member of Amazon prime so on occasion I click on some Docs and take about 5 minutes to know whether or not I can tolerate it for the eve. Most, I just click off and remove - one I'm viewing at the moment though - a Beatles doc "Love Me Do" , is pretty cool - but it is an exception - I agree with the OP , for the most part it's just a bunch of drivel.

One particular music 'Documentary' , if you want to call it that, "Bandstand Days", 1 hr length - after about 15 minutes, just turn it off. Basically all the focus was on the dancers - and rehashing their interviews ad-nauseam - no clips on the actual performers. It drew me in thinking that we'd get view some great footage, NOT.

Another : "Lynyrd Skynyrd: Rock Case Studies" - True Skynyrd fans, stay away - total nonsense , nothing informative.