Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Behringer comes through

Well, I have to hand it to Behringer! They have really come through with their promise of making affordable clones of classic synths. The pro one is finally being released. They just released their KS-20, a rack version of the KORG MS-20. They have had success with the release of the MS-1 the VC340, and the RD-8, and Odyssey. I"m looking forward to the UB-XA and 2600.

Uli even managed to get and engineer from KORG of all places.

So, Uli is building affordable clones of vintage synths. I mean let"s face it, vintage synths will never come down in price.

Also building their own synthesizers as well. I wish them luck! :hugegrin:

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I have to hand it to Behringer! They have really come through with their promise of making affordable clones of classic synths.

Okay, Paul, how much did Uli pay you to post that? :poke: I'm available for the right price.... :2thu:

-Tom Williams

{First Name} {at} AirNetworking {dot} com

PC4-7, PX-5S, AX-Edge, PC361

Yeah, I like Behringer in this mode alot better. Not so long ago B was all about selling cheaply, but these days they seem to have moved on and still are price leaders, but with longer warranties and better overall quality.

But I don't understand how many of these synths anybody can build. I've never been into synths, so I speak from ignorance, but the music market is relatively small. I've been amazed at how many different boutique synths I hear about, and now B comes out with an endless stream of re-creations at a cheap price. I guess I profoundly underestimated the market for synths.

Numa Piano X73 /// Kawai ES920 /// Casio CT-X5000 /// Yamaha EW425

Yamaha Melodica and Alto Recorder

QSC K8.2 // JBL Eon One Compact // Soundcore Motion Boom Plus 

Win10 laptop i7 8GB // iPad Pro 9.7" 32GB

But I don't understand how many of these synths anybody can build. I've never been into synths, so I speak from ignorance, but the music market is relatively small. I've been amazed at how many different boutique synths I hear about, and now B comes out with an endless stream of re-creations at a cheap price. I guess I profoundly underestimated the market for synths.
I"d never be accused of being in touch with pop culture, but I think the trends in music production across a lot of genres over the past ten or fifteen years have been very heavily synth-driven, vintage or not. So Behringer"s focus on vintage synth clones probably appeals to a much wider audience than, say, a Hammond clone.

Samuel B. Lupowitz

Musician. Songwriter. Food Enthusiast. Bad Pun Aficionado.

I'm still waiting for the ARP 2600 clone. It's already been at least two years (I think) since the first hints emerged and if there's any solid news as to when it will come out, I've missed it.

Back to twiddling my thumbs.

Grey

I'm not interested in someone's ability to program. I'm interested in their ability to compose and play.

I just went over and checked out my friend's Deepmind 12D (module). Very well-made, built-in power supply, easy to program (I didn't get all that "deep" into making crazy sounds, just tried some basic poly and lead sounds).

I think the keyboard is now right at $700--which is pretty silly considering it's supposed to be a decent keybed with aftertouch... (I've played it once, can't recall how much I liked/dislike as I wasn't in buy mode)...that's not all that much more than a decent midi controller.

I have to say I'm pining after the Novation Summit as well as the Hydrasynth, but the deepmind seems like the best deal for the type of analog sounds I need. I truly regret selling my Virus B...bought and sold it for around $620 used, only sold to afford a keyboard with a better organ. That was a great "analog" keyboard that was super high-quality construction and keybed. Really one of those "doh" moments, especially considering that now I'm gigging a lot more and $600 comes along pretty quickly...

I thought I heard Behringer was making some kind of Oberheim clone? Wouldn't mind them trying to tackle b3 organ :)

One thing I like about the Deepmind is that even though it's "like" a Juno, it also has its own thing going on.