Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Jacob Collier - All Night Long

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hahah. Another everything and the kitchen sink arrangement from Jacob.

This is where he excels, launching off of an extremely well known song.

I enjoy everything that went into it, and am in awe at the way it was all put together.

But this time, I think honestly I"d have been content to hear the pit orchestra arrangement alone, separate from all the other layers. A bridge too far perhaps. But inspiring to anyone who enjoys arranging, surely.

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

In Amadeus, wasn"t it Salieri who whispers to the king, 'Too many notes!'?

This is something different than a party track. I think if he did a full stage version at Avery Fisher hall the audience would be gobsmacked.

And yes, by the end of the track I"m weary.

But I"m old!

Well, it was over 7 minutes- I really enjoyed it, but it would have been less tiresome if it'd been condensed to 4 minutes. He already bedazzled with everything he did there, you always want the audience to want more, not less!

Numa Piano X73 /// Kawai ES920 /// Casio CT-X5000 /// Yamaha EW425

Yamaha Melodica and Alto Recorder

QSC K8.2 // JBL Eon One Compact // Soundcore Motion Boom Plus 

Win10 laptop i7 8GB // iPad Pro 9.7" 32GB

I find it truly inspiring the way he looks at and uses harmony in his music. It's really mind boggling to think how much work he put into this. But on the flip side, there is such a thing as "too much" and to be honest, this is just too much. Trying to fit all this into one song just obstructs the freedom of flow. It stagnates because of the constant barriage of musical content. A real shame.
Trumpet player by trade, but fell in love with keys too.

Guess I'm an old fart but he comes off as annoying to me. A very masterful young musician on his way to being a master artist, but like most of us when we were pups tends to use everything in the toolbox at once because he can... I respect the awesome raw talent for sure, but not the lack of discipline. To be fair he's discovering who he is right now & we happen to be witness to it, when the childish dust settles he'll be churning out some excellent music for sure.
You don't know you're in the dark until you're in the light.

It inspired me to go back and enjoy the original again with fresh ears. The original, in turn, inspired me to work out a solo arrangement I"ve been performing. So it was enjoyable in a roundabout way. Collier always impresses yet I"ve never wanted to listen to any of his tracks more than once.

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

All the brilliant arranging in the world can"t substitute for Lionel Ritchie"s voice. That"s why I commented that it led me to listen to the original with fresh ears. A song like that gets overplayed to the point you don"t want to hear it anymore. But after listening to the Collier version, I just wanted to hear Lionel again. Fantastic!

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

I listened to the music without watching the video. There's too much irrelevant, disjointed, and distracting Stuff going on. You don't hear the song. You hear a lot of ... well, just random Stuff. What's the point? It's like the guitar player shredding at the jam, showing off everything he can do in a few solo choruses. It doesn't convey any feeling or meaning or soul. It's just Stuff.
These are only my opinions, not supported by any actual knowledge, experience, or expertise.

Amazing arranging chops. Harmonies and voicings are incredible. Take 6 is brilliant. Not a fan of the lower register of Jacob"s voice. I understand why some want to listen to the original. I feel good when I hear the original and always enjoyed playing it back in the day. After hearing Jacob"s version I"m exhausted. Too much information for me.

Jacob Collier will, I hope, become something even more amazing after he spends a few years:

- falling in love

- getting his heart broken

- spending time in Black church (to paraphrase Stevie)

- becoming a father

- wanting something more than he can breathe

- getting it, and realizing the only thing worse than not getting what you dream of...is getting it

And such.

Unlike me (and others like me), Collier already has a arsenal of musical tools that seems bottomless. And I'd like to see that put in service of saying things about life that are deeply personal and unique to him.

Having said all that, it still startles me to see what he's capable of.

Good points because will see if anyone will care in 20 years. Sorry but music is such a disposable commodity nowadays. I don't see him setting the world on fire.

"Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

noblevibes.com

I think he might be my "Hiromi," in that I find him endlessly brilliant and also completely unlistenable. Tim gets at some of it: I can't find the person in there. I am amazed at his genius, and also don't care at all about a single product of it.

Now out! "Mind the Gap," a 24-song album of new material.
www.joshweinstein.com

I hope we're not in an echo chamber here in KC, but I'm with the consensus opinion: technically remarkable / emotionally unappealing. I did enjoy around the 1:15 mark where Quincy is holding the piece of paper that gives the re-harmonization in real time.

I really dug his Tiny Desk concert that was previously posted in another thread about him. It was cool to see him play songs live with a full band. He clearly has a ton of energy and is having fun. He"s creative, intelligent, and seems like a good guy and willing to share what he knows too. Despite not loving all that he does, I look forward to seeing his work in the future.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI