Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT: You can play the keys. But can you cook ?

Music became my profession ... cooking became my hobby.

What did you do, steal my life?

I was sous-chef in a 4 star restaurant & playing in a very popular (i.e. busy) regional band when I made the switch. At the time (35 years ago) I was making more money (& having much more fun) playing than cooking. Plus I no longer had to get up at some ungodly hour in the morning to head to the farmer's market looking for the best ingredients for that night's menu.

BTW - for db and the other lasagne aficionados, after spending a year in Tuscany, I altered my recipe to include thin layers of prosciutto and fresh spinach.

Well let make it simple: i'll leave up to the first forumer to pass in Paris to check if i can cook.

Just write me a week before or so. And i hope you like italian food :->

Maurizio

Nord Wave 2, Nord Electro 6D 61,, Rameau upright,  Hammond Pro44H Melodica.

Too many Arturia, NI and AAS plugins

http://www.barbogio.org/

Not a chef, but I am the cook in my family and its been a hobby. Like musicians there a lot of toys. Smoker, Flat Top Grill, knife set etc. I started when I was in the Air Force, I took a Cajun and Creole Cooking course at the Community College outside Barksdale AFB in Louisiana on a lark and I was hooked. In fact my lunch today is my leftover Crawfish Tail Jambalaya from last night! I have lived in both South Korea and Germany and had learn the cuisine. I'm the type who sees something on the cooking channel and has to try it. I guess being slightly OCD has helped me in music, definitely in Computer Engineering and Cooking. My wife is the baker she grew up working with her mother in a bakery.

Boards: Kurzweil SP-6, Roland FA-08, VR-09, DeepMind 12

Modules: Korg Radias, Roland D-05, Bk7-m & Sonic Cell

fun to read the importance of the family connection to cooking.

My grandparents owned a family style restaurant/tavern in Chicago. Their many [ 11] children worked there, my Mom

was a cook. She would drag me to work , 5 days a week, riding the bus, to the restaurant when I was 4 until age of 10.

during my childhood, I bussed tables , cleaned floors, washed dishes, even worked behind the bar [ it was Chicago]

My grandparents paid me 25 cents a week. They said I ate to much food and hurt their profit. It was funny.

Many great memories

Why fit in, when you were born to stand out ?

My Soundcloud with many originals:

[70's Songwriter]

My cooking is similar to my music playing. More or less equal parts creative improvisation and theoretical training. If I use a recipe at all, I will scan through it to capture the essence, then envision the flavor profiles, textures, and techniques in my mind. Final step is to carry that vision to the market, or more likely, to scan my pantry and fridge for suitable ingredients to make the vision a reality. Then, let the fun begin! I love to cook, and unlike a couple of previous posters, I enjoy cooking with my girlfriend. We complement each other well, and the end result is typically greater than the sum of the parts. I'll admit that we do have a large kitchen which probably helps to reduce the number of knife wounds and body slams.

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.

-Mark Twain

Well let make it simple: i'll leave up to the first forumer to pass in Paris to check if i can cook.

Just write me a week before or so. And i hope you like italian food :->

Maurizio

would love to take you up on this my brother. I'm going to keep this in my back pocket. :)

:nopity:

Sure Greg, like many students where I studied, I cooked since, I don't know 22 or so.

Nowadays it's possible but often hard to find components that are (preferably certified) organic, sustainable, possibly somewhat locally produced, varied, and not unnecessarily cruel to animals and affordable. Quite the challenge, but only healthy and unpoisoned and not genetically ruined food is quite a better feeling, though it may take up to 7 years to get all the rubbish out, once you started..

I like to use ceramic to cook and bake, which is also quite the challenge to find an maintain pristine, but luckily possible.

Even simple meals can be quite attractive without all the undesired components, it's quite recommendable since it's also better for the fields growing the food, after a while.

I've never had an organic Whiskey yet, though...

T

Sure Greg, like many students where I studied, I cooked since, I don't know 22 or so.

Nowadays it's possible but often hard to find components that are (preferably certified) organic, sustainable, possibly somewhat locally produced, varied, and not unnecessarily cruel to animals and affordable. Quite the challenge, but only healthy and unpoisoned and not genetically ruined food is quite a better feeling, though it may take up to 7 years to get all the rubbish out, once you started..

T

you make a good point and I agree 100%. It takes knowledge and work to avoid processed, food factory items.

[70's Songwriter]

I've always loved cooking but getting signed up for Blue Apron about 4 years ago has really opened up my world. A 2 day lasagna project sounds like a ton of fun, but I don't see me having that kind of time anytime soon. Because their basic approach is the same for most of their meals, Blue Apron has taught me to make a nice 40 minute meal for two with a few hundred subtle variations of protein choices and preparation along with tons of approaches to veggie sides. Now it's to the point where I can make something out of whatever is laying around, or I can kind of execute something new and different on the fly.

I wish I had time to do Bon Appetite Mag half day multi step gourmet preparations (I did do a few ciabattas earlier this year after overdosing on Great British Baking Show). But the day in day out application of cooking with a quick 20-40 min quality meal and constant cycle of buying whatever meat is on sale is what has really served me well.

Kawai C-60 Grand Piano : Hammond A-100 : Hammond SK2 : Yamaha CP4 : Yamaha Montage 7 : Moog Sub 37

My latest album: Funky organ, huge horn section

https://bobbycressey.bandcamp.com/album/cali-native

Ha! I misunderstood the title of this thread... I thought it was another 'sure, you can read music, but can you actually play anything?' thread. But that would have been on topic. Or not, technically.

Here for the gear.

I can tuna fish, but I can"t tune a piano.

(I"ll be here all week, thank you. Try the veal)

"a keyboard guy has to know his limits"

- Clint Easwoods piano teacher

[70's Songwriter]

Ha! I misunderstood the title of this thread... I thought it was another 'sure, you can read music, but can you actually play anything?' thread. But that would have been on topic. Or not, technically.

That is a good on topic. It will be fun.

[70's Songwriter]

So there's something that's a pretty big deal here in the Bay Area, Dungeness Crab season opens Nov 4th. I will be dropping crab pots about 4 miles out from the Golden Gate, let them soak for 3-4 hours, and we'll be hauling up fresh crab. That night (and many after) we'll have crab feasts, freshly steamed, pretty damn great.

dungeness-crabs-in-a-crab-trap.jpg

Some music I've recorded and played over the years with a few different bands

Tommy Rude Soundcloud

Some of what I"ve made in the past weeks:

15lbs double brisket smoked over applewood for 16 hrs

English muffins from scratch

Focaccia with olive oil and sea salt

Roast chicken with shallots and caramelized lemons

Falafel crusted halibut

Eggplant parm

Grilled salmon over ratatouille

Butternut squash and Granny Smith apple soup

Split pea soup

Lentil soup

Chicken soup with matzah balls (ok, my wife made the matzah balls)

Ciabatta rolls

Old school Jewish brisket (braised with onions and carrots)

Fettuccine cacio e pepe

Michael Chiarella"s shaved Brussels sprout salad with almonds, egg, pecorino, and lemon vinaigrette

My new favorite pancake recipe. Make these. You"ll thank me. https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1020121-chez-ma-tantes-pancakes

with all this talent, I can see a " Keyboard Corner CookBook "

...or, at the very least, some fun recipe sharing. :idea:

This is always dinner Friday night after Thanksgiving in my house.

TURKEY TETRAZZINI

1/2 c. butter

1/2 c. flour

1 1/2 tsp. salt

¼ tsp nutmeg

¼ tsp cayenne

2 c. milk

1 can (12 oz.) chicken broth

2 egg yolks

1/2 c. light cream

1/3 c. dry sherry

1 pkg. (16 oz.) spaghetti

4 c. cooked turkey, in large pieces

1 can sliced mushrooms

1/2 cup celery

½ cup diced onion

1 c. grated sharp cheddar cheese

Parmesan cheese

Bread crumbs

Make sauce: Melt butter in saucepan stir in flour, salt, nutmeg and cayenne pepper until smooth. Gradually stir in milk and chicken broth; bring to boil, stirring constantly. Boil gently, 2 minutes or until mixture is slightly thickened.

In small bowl beat yolks with cream. Gently beat in a little of the hot mixture. Return to saucepan and cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until sauce is hot do not boil. Remove from heat and add sherry.

Cook spaghetti as to package directions; drain. Add 2 cups sauce to drained spaghetti and toss until well blended. Add turkey, celery and mushrooms to remaining sauce.

Turn spaghetti into 12 x 8 x 2 inch baking dish. Spoon turkey mixture over top. Sprinkle with cheddar cheese, then cover top with Parmesan cheese and bread crumbs.

Bake in preheated 325 degree oven covered 25 minutes; uncover and bake 10 minutes more or until piping hot.

Serves 8.

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Butternut squash and Granny Smith apple soup

:noway::drool:

Recipe? :idk:

Most of my cooking is without a recipe but here"s what I do:

1 diced onion

3-4 Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored, diced

1 large butternut squash, peeled, seeded, cut into 1' chunks (I buy it already cut up)

1-2 tbsp brown sugar (light or dark), optional

Homemade or store bought vegetable stock (Trader Joe"s has good balance of salt)

For the amount of squash vs apples, I like 2-2.5 parts squash to 1 part apples.

In a soup pot with 1-2 tbsp canola oil, sauté onion until translucent. Add apples and sauté until lightly colored. Add brown sugar (optional) & squash. I season with cinnamon, nutmeg, thyme, and kosher salt all to taste. Add enough stock to cover the squash. Cook on medium heat until squash is done. Purée with an immersion blender or cool then use a blender or food processor. If it"s too thick, add a little more stock. It freezes well. You could roast the squash and apples before adding to sautéed onions followed by the stock.

Since dB asked about the butternut squash soup, here"s my all time favorite recipe using butternut squash. Purists will say this isn"t chili. I don"t care. It"s freakin" amazing. Brisket tends to fall apart when cooked. Ordinary beef stew meat will hold together. Either is great. Your choice.

https://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Texas-Beef-Brisket-Chili-350108

Good old epicurious. One of my favorite online resources. That recipe is surprisingly similar to my chili without the squash. May have to give that a try, though as you say, it ain't really Texas roadkill chili...

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.

-Mark Twain

One of the great benefits of Epicurious is the archiving of recipes from all the magazines to which I once subscribed and saved in my basement. For example, the link for the chili recipe was from Bon Appetit October 2008.

Here"s the turkey recipe I"ve made every year since it appeared in Bon Appetit November 1994!

https://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/roast-turkey-with-herb-rub-and-shiitake-mushroom-gravy-801

My stuffing is made with challah and includes hazelnuts.

Doubled up a really nice pesto recipe last night and just grilled our monthly allotment of rib eye steaks today with a side of roasted brussel sprouts and garlic mashed potatoes.

�Ah, music," he said, wiping his eyes. "A magic beyond all we do here!�

J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone

Well, I don't have a problem necessarily with factory processing, as long as the components are organic preferably there are no nasty additions and the processing isn't too extreme (like very high temperature and poisonous catalysts to break the normal food structure).

In Holland, there's a "star" system to rate the animal friendliness (less meanness) as compared to those horrible farming practices most people have seen stomac turning film of. 3 stars is best, so I try to get eggs, meat, etc with 3 stars, which is possible in most cases.

T.