Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

California

California in 2016 I should say.

I did a couple workshops out that way in 2013-2015. Mojave and Fresno. Then the workshops dried up so I went out there by myself in 2016. February full moon. Haven't been back since though due to a parent in a nursing home...

Yermo's most-photographed gas station:

nTGXMI.jpg

I hear this is gone now and there's now a giant new restaurant/truck stop/convenience store here:

x62abY.jpg

The Dixie Inn... Everyone's shot this, but its a must-see anyway:

PKEXZ5.jpg

Out on Route 66, closed for decades: The constellation Orion looms above.

zad3BD.jpg

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Very cool, nicely done, Lou!

I've been to many of the same areas to photograph at night as well.

271.thumb.jpg.95d220c58a9eac065573eb9d01a7fa88.jpg

272.thumb.jpg.e15866318dfc92f070564dbd08cf1f82.jpg

Nice work!

My grandparents lived in Mojave, I wasn't a photographer then.

I took many photos IN Fresno but not many OF Fresno. The linked photo is from a store front downtown with a signboard that said "White Trash Museum".

One of the two display windows was filled with the top halves of mannequins, the other side had the bottom halves.

Linked because nudity, NSFW. We went very early and moved quickly. Double exposure on an RB67.

https://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/44588372

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

Thanks guys! Fresno was pretty cool I think. Lots of neat old stuff there like the motel sign seen here below. And its downtown still has a trapped-in-the-past feel, not helped at all by its struggling pedestrian mall.

Troy Paiva was the one doing the workshops. Well, him and Joe Riefer. If I had to guess, Joe was probably the one who wanted to call it quits.... But I don't know. I did notice however that both workshops I did were filled with mostly repeat attendees so maybe for the instructors the job turns into a repetitive chore when its mostly the same faces each time. So the last one they did was in 2015.

A couple years later I signed up to do a workshop with Lance, but eventually cancelled when my mom had a stroke about a week before the workshop. She pulled through - but has been in a nursing home ever since.

I did find time to do Tim Little's one-night Cape Cod lighthouse workshop in 2018. The price was right... And I gotta burn up some airline points somehow! LOL It was fun.

K7suC6.jpg

Thanks guys! Fresno was pretty cool I think. Lots of neat old stuff there like the motel sign seen here below. And its downtown still has a trapped-in-the-past feel, not helped at all by its struggling pedestrian mall.

Troy Paiva was the one doing the workshops. Well, him and Joe Riefer. If I had to guess, Joe was probably the one who wanted to call it quits.... But I don't know. I did notice however that both workshops I did were filled with mostly repeat attendees so maybe for the instructors the job turns into a repetitive chore when its mostly the same faces each time. So the last one they did was in 2015.

A couple years later I signed up to do a workshop with Lance, but eventually cancelled when my mom had a stroke about a week before the workshop. She pulled through - but has been in a nursing home ever since.

I did find time to do Tim Little's one-night Cape Cod lighthouse workshop in 2018. The price was right... And I gotta burn up some airline points somehow! LOL It was fun.

K7suC6.jpg

Night photographers...sometimes a small world. I am friends with both Lance and Troy, and have gone photographing with both of them, and will see Lance in a few weeks.

I have never met Joe but am familiar with his work. Unfortunately, I hear that he is no longer doing night photography, but is instead doing something with cars, I believe it was.

Tim does a lot of those workshops. I just saw him, photographing with him just over the weekend!

Please lemme know if you have an IG or Flickr or FB page.

Tim does a lot of those workshops. I just saw him, photographing with him just over the weekend!

I bet that was fun! Hope you had some good moonlight.... And neat skies!

I was on Flickr but eventually got annoyed by it; various people and businesses were taking my photos without permission and without crediting me, even places that should know better like a TV station in Ohio for example. I had some good Urbex stuff "borrowed" that way, and other subjects. So in 2013 I made everything private... I haven't decided yet, I might switch back eventually.

And I'm not on FB at all. I'm trying to keep a low profile on the internet, starting by keeping off of Facebook. That's also why I use fake names on forums. Yes, I'm not really named Lou Gehrig. My real name is Charles.

Obviously the "fake name" idea gets awkward though when we're trying to talk about mutual friends... But I never predicted that would happen on a totally unrelated forum like this one!

Got it, all good. I was just hoping to see more of your work possibly. Anyway, hello Charles! Oh, by the way, Tim remembers you flying out and taking his workshop! Very cool! Small world indeed. And yes, who could predict you could run into this circle of people on an unrelated forum like this?

Do you continue to take night photos?

Do you continue to take night photos?

I do! But around here, there's a lot more light pollution and such and its rare I get to do much with the full moon. Busy schedule sometimes, I couldn't get out this past weekend when the moon was full! To keep in practice, I often drive into Chicago and cruise through desolate industrial areas and seedy retail strips and shoot as much as I can with available urban lighting. That lets me shoot on cloudy nights too, but I miss the creativity of the long exposures in moonlight and using the Protomachine.

I should make a new thread of urban night photos.

Yes, please create a thread like that. That would be interesting.

I photograph ghost towns, of course, but not really urban or industrial areas that much.

And cool, glad that you continue to create night photos!!

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...
Apparently, you have to be logged in to see the preview, KuruPrionz.

My apologies, Sir Ken and everybody.

I moved a few Fresno shots and one San Francisco shot to Flickr so you can take a look.

Because there is a bit of nudity I've linked again instead of posting.

Not sure why the link has to be copied and pasted. So it goes.

Link

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

Great, looks good, and now we are able to see it. I fixed the lack of a link for you now on your post above.