Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Anyone remember Gorilla amps?

I do. Another amp that I really hated to have to play through years ago was a SS Peavey Bandit; besides the plastic and cardboard tone, those made my fingers hurt, and made my guitar somehow sound out of tune no matter what!

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Not with any fondness!!!!

I still see them here and there at Starvation Army and Goodwill.

If I was a kid with nothing and got a Gorilla amp and a guitar, I would be thrilled.

So there is a place for them, just not at my home!!

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

Not with any fondness!!!!

I still see them here and there at Starvation Army and Goodwill.

If I was a kid with nothing and got a Gorilla amp and a guitar, I would be thrilled.

So there is a place for them, just not at my home!!

Yeah they were so bad! Somehow though, I'm on this mission to see if I can make a song or part of a song using that tone. I think it's cuz I could barely play when I had one, so now I want to conquer the past.

Music With Marky - A YouTube Channel For Guitarists Who Want To Make Better Music

I remember Gorilla amps, but I have been an all tube guy since 1966 with a very few forays into modeling (I once had 4 modelers at different times, as well as a tube modeling amp hybrid) So I never tried the Gorillas, if no tubes I ain't into it. I understand that the new modelers and profilers are wonderful tools, but I use 3 sounds, clean, tube overdrive stomps, and reverb pedals, I use the reverb pedals in both my clean and overdrive sounds, so I have no need of $1500+. modelers or profilers.

One thing that made them sound perfectly awful was that the kids who bought them tended to crank them.

Funny, how some stuff that seemed like junk in its time eventually became collectable, like DanElectro Guitars? No fear of that with Gorilla Amps . . .

"Monsters are real, and Ghosts are real too. They live inside us, and sometimes, they win." Stephen King

http://www.novparolo.com

https://thewinstonpsmithproject.bandcamp.com

Gorilla was my first amp - in 1986. Sounded pretty bad but good enough for a beginner at the time. I remember the "Tube Stack" dial!

Should have been called the "Tube Pile" dial, no?

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

The rhythm guitar tracks on the Ratt 'Out Of the Cellar" album was recorded on a Gorilla. ð¦

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

The rhythm guitar tracks on the Ratt 'Out Of the Cellar" album was recorded on a Gorilla. ð¦

No way?! Is there an article where they talk about that somewhere online? That's amazing!

Similarly, while widely known as a 50 watt Marshall stack player (a 1977 Marshall model-1987 JMP MK II), Michael Schenker used a little 5 watt, 1x5" Pignose portable battery-powered amp, sometimes with a Cry Baby wah (an old Italian-made Jen), for rhythm and melodic lead and fill tracks all over U.F.O.'s classic Obsession album. Honking, nasal midrange tones, especially with the wah. The little amp's hinged back may or may not have been opened to a 'sweet-spot' to further fine-tune the overall tonal qualities...

• Like 1

No way?! Is there an article where they talk about that somewhere online? That's amazing!

No. I just made that up. But Zappa did record with a Pignose.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

No. I just made that up. But Zappa did record with a Pignose.

In the words of Eddie Murphy, "You got me. My mouth was open."

Music With Marky - A YouTube Channel For Guitarists Who Want To Make Better Music

• 2 weeks later...

Had that exact model, as kid in the early 80s. Sounded bad, but was starting point.

The pignose on Obsession is legendary

Lok

1997 PRS CE24, 1981 Greco MSV 850, 1991 Greco V 900, 2 2006 Dean Inferno Flying Vs, 1987 Gibson Flying V, 2000s Jackson Dinky/Soloist, 1992 Gibson Les Paul Studio,

Had that exact model, as kid in the early 80s. Sounded bad, but was starting point.

I am trying to remember this one brand of cheesy cheap and awful SS '80s amp that seemed everywhere in the early/mid '80s... I guess they were probably better than Gorilla, but that wouldn't take much...

The pignose on Obsession is legendary.

I'm thinking that I'll have to get one of those, someday... I wonder, would there be any point of its being a "vintage" specimen, over a new or more recent one? Hmmmm... I'd think that they'd probably be more or less the same...

By the way...

[video:youtube]

I had a Pignose 30 and it was a great little practice and campfire amp till the battery gave way. Cost a lot to replace the battery so I just sold it to a guy at a swap meet for what I paid for it new. It still worked great plugged in with the power supply. It probaby put out about half of the 30 watts but when I kicked in a compressor in front of an OD in front of the amp, it blew the room away and kept up with the bass and drums when I kicked it in...it surprised everyone in the room including me LOL! :cool:
Take care, Larryz

Lots o' folks I know have Gorillas still in their gear rooms... their first amps, that they loathe but keep around for some reason.

My first amp was a Holmes Minipicker 12, a 15-watt solid state amp with a 12" speaker, made in neighboring Mississippi, and LOUD!!! And it actually sounded GOOD!!! Especially when craked to 10, much to the misery of my household and neighbors... I saw a pic of Eddie Van Halen as a kid with a Marshall 4x12" cab face down in a recliner, which was how he keep the volume down in the house, so I would put the Holmes in the closet and put pillows and sofa cushions in front of the speaker... still loud, though. A master volume would've ruled.

My stepdad traded me a late 70's Acoustic combo - 2 x 10", 50 watts, solid state but it sounded VERY tube-like - for the Holmes and handed it down to my late stepbrother to use with his bass, and after he consistently tried to leave it places or put it in the trash while begging for another amp, one day my mother watched him douse it with gasoline in the backyard and set it on fire. They didn't get him another amp. He was a tough kid to like... RIP.