Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Don't Upgrade to MacOS Catalina Yet! #3011380 10/07/19 05:22 PM
Anderton Offline OP
MP Hall of Fame Member
OP Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
Just in case you haven't seen the mass emails sent out from various companies, iZotope, Presonus, Native Instruments, Audient, Serato. et al, don't upgrade to Catalina until you get an "all clear" signal that applications, plug-ins, and drivers have been updated. A lot of this is due to the excising of any vestiges of 32-bit code. More info:

https://www.musictech.net/news/gear/apple-macos-catalina-upgrade-remove-32-bit/
https://cdm.link/2019/09/macos-cata...-your-music-software-heres-what-to-know/

Re: Don't Upgrade to MacOS Catalina Yet! [Re: Anderton] #3011414 10/07/19 09:21 PM
Bone Muskeleton Offline
Triple Secret Banninated
20k Club
Triple Secret Banninated
20k Club
There are some cool apps that will tell you what apps you have still have 32-bit code and won't work. Here's my favorite.

I'm 90% sure (not 100% - yet) that the "Automatically Update" switch in the Software Update System Pref will not upgrade you to Catalina. You have to click to specifically do that.

The great thing about music is that there's always something to learn. The frustrating thing about music is that there's always something to learn!
Re: Don't Upgrade to MacOS Catalina Yet! [Re: Bone Muskeleton] #3011418 10/07/19 09:52 PM
KuruPrionz Offline
Originally Posted by Bone Muskeleton
There are some cool apps that will tell you what apps you have still have 32-bit code and won't work. Here's my favorite.

I'm 90% sure (not 100% - yet) that the "Automatically Update" switch in the Software Update System Pref will not upgrade you to Catalina. You have to click to specifically do that.

Thanks for the link!!! I've got 79 apps with 32 bit code in them and 346 that are fully 64 bit.
Oddly, some of the un-installer programs are/have 32 bit code but the plugins they uninstall are 64 bit.

I'll just stay right here for now, running High Sierra. Some of these will just go away, Painter 2016 barely got used so I won't be upgrading.
I'm migrated from MOTU to Presonus for my interface so I don't need their software anymore. Quite a few of them are drivers for printers I don't have and never will.

IK Multimedia Custom Shop and Authorization Manager are both 32 bit, Izotope Product Portal is 32 bit, Adobe Application Manager and other Adobe stuffs is 32 bit, Native Instruments Service Center is 32 bits.

And quite a list of Apple goodies that are 32 bits. I think it is fairly safe to assume the Apple stuff will take care of itself.
Some apps are easily discarded and won't be missed. Others are pretty "iffy" at the moment, especially the recording software and Adobe.

I was not able to print to .pdf or copy and paste the list of 32 bit apps. I tried to drag the list to another program, no love there either. Reveal in Finder is a massive spew of windows showing one app each for the most part.

Switching to All Executables and Rescanning shows 549 32 bit files and 2,881 64 bit files.

This could become a nasty mess!!!!

Would be nice to have a way to isolate all 32 bit files but I don't expect that to become available.

I'll start with MOTU and the printers etc. I won't miss any of them anyway.

Just found this, have not tried it yet. Looks good so far: https://uninstallmacapp.com/motu-universal-audio-install-removal.html

Last edited by KuruPrionz; 10/07/19 09:59 PM. Reason: Added information

There is never enough time to be in a hurry...
Re: Don't Upgrade to MacOS Catalina Yet! [Re: Anderton] #3011442 10/08/19 01:37 AM
Anderton Offline OP
MP Hall of Fame Member
OP Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
It's Mac-using DJs who are really screwed until their applications are updated. iTunes was the de factor way for DJs to organize music, and export XML playlists to use in various programs.

https://www.theverge.com/2019/10/7/...e-breaks-xml-file-support-removal-update

"Additionally, according to Apple a previously reported fix saying users can manually export XML files in the Music app is incorrect. Essentially, if you’re a DJ and you have put tons of time into sorting music in your iTunes playlists for whatever software you use, upgrading to Catalina will likely erase all your hard work."

On the bright side for NI, anyone using a Mac with Catalina is going to have to upgrade to the latest version of Traktor smile Might be a nice income stream for people on earlier versions and who aren't eligible for a free upgrade.

And frankly...why should the upgrade cost be borne by NI? They're not the ones who decided to get rid of iTunes and eliminate XML export.

Last edited by Anderton; 10/08/19 01:50 AM.
Re: Don't Upgrade to MacOS Catalina Yet! [Re: Anderton] #3011446 10/08/19 02:41 AM
harmonizer Offline
Gold Member
Gold Member
The Nord app for downloading new sounds to their keyboard products is among the apps that are not yet 64-bit, and thus are not yet ready for Catalina. The topic has been discussed extensively in the Nord User Forum:
https://www.norduserforum.com/gener...-t-support-sound-manager-t17850-100.html

Re: Don't Upgrade to MacOS Catalina Yet! [Re: KuruPrionz] #3011450 10/08/19 03:10 AM
KuruPrionz Offline
Originally Posted by KuruPrionz
[
Just found this, have not tried it yet. Looks good so far: https://uninstallmacapp.com/motu-universal-audio-install-removal.html

Turns out to be what I call "sneakware". Downloaded, installed, started it up.
I chose a MOTU program. It showed what the files were that it could delete but demanded to be registered prior to the deletion.
They want $30.

Fair enough but I have a list of all 32 bit programs. I can just hunt them down myself.

There is never enough time to be in a hurry...
Re: Don't Upgrade to MacOS Catalina Yet! [Re: Anderton] #3011503 10/08/19 06:49 PM
Bone Muskeleton Offline
Triple Secret Banninated
20k Club
Triple Secret Banninated
20k Club
Originally Posted by Anderton
It's Mac-using DJs who are really screwed until their applications are updated. iTunes was the de factor way for DJs to organize music, and export XML playlists to use in various programs.

https://www.theverge.com/2019/10/7/...e-breaks-xml-file-support-removal-update

Similarly, I just found out today that Music doesn't seem to support multiple libraries like iTunes did. I use an app called PowerTunes that managed them for me. I kept one library with my main stuff, but I have separate libraries for tunes I don't want shared to iCloud such as my collection of concert recordings. If Music never supports separate libraries, I don't know what I will do. frown

The great thing about music is that there's always something to learn. The frustrating thing about music is that there's always something to learn!
Re: Don't Upgrade to MacOS Catalina Yet! [Re: Anderton] #3011665 10/09/19 05:42 PM
Anderton Offline OP
MP Hall of Fame Member
OP Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
Apparently nothing from Ableton or NI works with Catalina. Funny, I used my MacBook Pro for DJ gigs because I figured that because my library was in iTunes, it would work better in its native environment than with a Windows laptop...

Re: Don't Upgrade to MacOS Catalina Yet! [Re: Anderton] #3011846 10/10/19 06:16 PM
Anderton Offline OP
MP Hall of Fame Member
OP Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
Well, the article I read must have been wrong, because Ableton Live 10 is compatible with Catalina, but no other version of Live is. Of course, that doesn't guarantee your plug-ins or drivers will be compatible. Sweetwater has done a great job of identifying what does and doesn't work in this article.

Moderated by  Anderton