Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT: Yellowjackets

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The band is killer live. Will Kennedy is an awesome and one of my favorite jazz drummers.

Sorry about your hand. Take some allergy drugs (antihistamines) and hopefully the swelling will go away soon.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

OH MY GOD!

I felt physical pain when you said that. little bitches are FUCKS! My town of Fairbanks, Alaska had Yellowjacket infestations every few years and I would get stung every so often. Unlike bees, little shits seek you out. My family had a "yellowjacket killing contest" one year when I was a kid, all of us devising methods of killing the little fuckers. My mom won with an old Eskimo oil trap (milk jug, meat screwer, oil in the bottom, piece of fish). My dad broke my mom's hair drier trying to build a "bee o-matic" to suck up the jackets. She was not happy.

I had an interesting childhood.

Puck Funk! :)

Equipment: Laptop running lots of nerdy software, some keyboards, noise makersâ¦yada yada yadaâ¦maybe a cat?

The band is killer live. Will Kennedy is an awesome and one of my favorite jazz drummers.

Saw them open for Larry Carlton in the late 80s at Ruth Eckerd Hall in Tampa. Excellent show.

The fact there's a Highway To Hell and only a Stairway To Heaven says a lot about anticipated traffic numbers

People only say "It's a free country" when they're doing something shitty-Demetri Martin

Hey, make sure your yellowjacket swelling is just due to the poison, and not infection. Those little guys often play in the trash; when they do, the filth and germs may be more dangerous than the allergens.

-Tom Williams

{First Name} {at} AirNetworking {dot} com

PC4-7, PX-5S, AX-Edge, PC361

Hey, make sure your yellowjacket swelling is just due to the poison, and not infection. Those little guys often play in the trash; when they do, the filth and germs may be more dangerous than the allergens.

Oh, that's not the news I wanted to hear!

I got stung on the forehead once, just above my eye. Half my face swelled up. Fortunately it subsided after a couple hours.

One of those guys got me on the hand as well, it was hanging out under my door handle.

It was either one of these or a paper wasp (can't recall) that got me at a gig...outdoor resort, we were walking around before the show and *blam* right on my right index finger. Started swelling up, the resort people had something to put on it that helped a lot. Made it pretty hard to play though.

I got it on the lip once, playing an outside gig. Went on break, took a sip of my beer, and he was inside the bottle.

Edit: I can"t say for sure it was a Yellowjacket. Could have been a wasp. It wasn"t a bee.

The fact there's a Highway To Hell and only a Stairway To Heaven says a lot about anticipated traffic numbers

People only say "It's a free country" when they're doing something shitty-Demetri Martin

Those buggers usually make nests in the ground. I've gotten nailed several times cutting grass or working in the yard.

The worst adventure was the time yellow jackets built a nest behind the vinyl siding close to the front door of our house. Bug spray wasn't working so I tried jamming a cotton ball soaked with insecticide into the hole. Did that a few times but they managed to remove anything placed inside. I was afraid I'd have to call an exterminator until one afternoon I came across some wasp spray at the local hardware store with a little plastic straw attached to the can (like WD40). Brought that home and flooded the nest.

Perfect solution... hallelujah! :w00t:

The only downside was the horrible dead bug odor that came in around the indoor light switch. Smelled like rotten potatoes for a few days

When an eel hits your eye like a big pizza pie, that's a Moray.

This is post-Haslip but still very cool. I like them better live than in studio.

[video:youtube]

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Jimmy was our bass player in high school. Damned overachiever.

Wow, very cool. Must've been some grooving jams coming up.

Truthfully, it wasn't apparent that he would even make a career out of it back then. I recall that he spent a good part of senior year with his leg in a big cast, busted it playing school football. Maybe that's what made up his mind, lol.

Yamaha P515 & CK88, Pianoteq, Mainstage, iOS, assorted other stuff.

I once backed a tractor into a barn lean-to and disturbed a yellow jacket nest. They came boiling out of the nest and made for me, chasing and stinging me for 100 yards. I hadn't moved that fast in 20 years, but it still wasn't fast enough to outrun them. I probably had 20 stings and it hurt like a mother.

Moe

---

I got it on the lip once, playing an outside gig. Went on break, took a sip of my beer, and he was inside the bottle.

Edit: I can"t say for sure it was a Yellowjacket. Could have been a wasp. It wasn"t a bee.

A yellowjacket is a kind of wasp with bee-like coloring. (Indeed, according to Wikipedia, outside of the USA they're just called "wasps.")

-Tom Williams

{First Name} {at} AirNetworking {dot} com

PC4-7, PX-5S, AX-Edge, PC361

Jimmy was our bass player in high school. Damned overachiever.

You must know a lot of the same people I do, as I know a bunch that knows Jimmy from way back. I never met him myself, though.