Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Waldorf Kyra released

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It is an amazingly capable machine. It doesn't offer sounds that I couldn't make on my Solaris, and I don't need the 128 voices it offers. But if anyone doesn't have the traditional subtractive analog sounds taken care of, it certainly seems like a powerful and flexible way to get them.

I like it! Of course. :)

Seems like perhaps they fill space left by Access Virus now that it"s been some years since they"ve been releasing new synths. Although I saw a rumor from August that they have something in mind...

http://www.synthanatomy.com/2019/08/access-music-is-working-on-new-electronic-music-instruments.html

At the same time we have the Peak and Summit from Novation... that Summit peaked my interest too.

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

I'd say it sounds good! Incredible specs and capabilities.

Now the bad news $2299.00

LOL

Another example of having Moog taste but a Behringer budget!

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

Hopefully, because the proper spelling in that case would be "piqued".
Did you already know that answer, or did you peek? (ducking)

If you"re duckling, the appropriate spelling is Peking. :cool:

I"m glad the Kyra is finally out but I lost all interest somewhere along the way. Good specs on paper, but between not supporting any form of wavetable scanning and demos that seem pretty vanilla, it"s just not what I was hoping it might be. For all their polyphony and timbral limitations by comparison, I find the UDO Super-6 and ASM Hydrasynth much more compelling (for very different reasons.)

Acoustic: Shigeru Kawai SK-7 ~ Breedlove C2/R

MIDI: Kurzweil Forte ~ Sequential Prophet X ~ Yamaha CP88 ~ Expressive E Osmose

Electric: Schecter Solo Custom Exotic ~ Chapman MLB1 Signature Bass

I"m glad the Kyra is finally out but I lost all interest somewhere along the way. Good specs on paper, but between not supporting any form of wavetable scanning and demos that seem pretty vanilla, it"s just not what I was hoping it might be. For all their polyphony and timbral limitations by comparison, I find the UDO Super-6 and ASM Hydrasynth much more compelling (for very different reasons.)

That's an interesting take on the Kyra Lady Gaia. From what I have read of some of your previous Posts, you go for high quality, top of the line equipment. I am a bit surprised that the UDO Super 6 and the Hydrasynth interest you. I am not familiar with the gentleman that demonstrates the Super 6, but that company should get someone that can actually play keyboards, his demos amount to Pontificating but not playing anything. The Hydrsynth demos are better, but the Hydrasynth sounds much too digital to my ears. Different Strokes, I suppose.

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

If you"re duckling, the appropriate spelling is Peking.

peking-duck-recipe-12.jpg

When an eel hits your eye like a big pizza pie, that's a Moray.

That's an interesting take on the Kyra Lady Gaia. From what I have read of some of your previous Posts, you go for high quality, top of the line equipment. I am a bit surprised that the UDO Super 6 and the Hydrasynth interest you.

I tend to obsessively research everything that catches my eye, regardless of whether I"m actually in the market for what it has to offer. In the Hydrasynth"s case, it"s the presence of a poly aftertouch keyboard for the first time in quite a while that was the hook. I agree that the sound is aggressively digital and not really to my taste but it"s clearly far more flexible than what the Kyra is offering (and at roughly a third the price for the desktop module, I find the voice count and timbral limitation pretty easy to forgive when compared to the Kyra.)

The Super-6 is being demoed by an engineer so I"m not expecting a virtuoso performance, just a showcase of tonal quality and on that front I"m impressed. The binaural 'super' mode for oscillators play some nice stereo perception tricks that appear to involve coordinating a pair of oscillators in a way I can"t readily reproduce. The analog filters it uses have a lush quality that I already know I adore, as it uses the same SSI2144 ICs I know and love from my Prophet X. They"re on display in fine form in the demos I"ve heard for the Super-6. It does seem to be geared more to establishing an inherent character and being performance friendly rather than feature-richness, but they"ve also hinted at making more possible through companion software including multi-timbral operation. I don"t know that I have space to devote to a 4-octave keyboard with this kind of focused purpose, but I do like what I hear from it.

Acoustic: Shigeru Kawai SK-7 ~ Breedlove C2/R

MIDI: Kurzweil Forte ~ Sequential Prophet X ~ Yamaha CP88 ~ Expressive E Osmose

Electric: Schecter Solo Custom Exotic ~ Chapman MLB1 Signature Bass

. The Hydrsynth demos are better, but the Hydrasynth sounds much too digital to my ears. Different Strokes, I suppose.

The digital "extras" of the Hydrasynth (and poly-AT) are what make it interesting. I feel "full" of traditional subtractive synthesis. I have four excellent hardware analog/VA synths. The innovation in synthesis is happening in digital and in modular (again mostly digital). It's not that there are no new sounds in subtractive synthesis. But some of the "main" sounds are now becoming traditional and associated with certain use.

We don't have a shortage of affordable or exotic analog subtractive stuff. Really innovative digital is thinner on the ground, I suppose because of the "not analog enough" nature of the current internet commentariat. We musicians have our own conservatism for "past hits".

I know I'm looking for new and different in synths. I suppose that's why my last purchase was a Non-Linear Labs C15. It doesn't even have MIDI! But it does have significant expressive potential and a brand new digital synthesis engine that isn't derivative of anything else. Horses for courses, I suppose. No doubt they will sell more Kymas than C15s in the short run. But for unique and expressive textures, I think I'll take the C15. (All of which is more about me than about either instrument, I suppose).

We don't have a shortage of affordable or exotic analog subtractive stuff. Really innovative digital is thinner on the ground, I suppose because of the "not analog enough" nature of the current internet commentariat.

I agree, knobby, innovative digital synths are a really a few; personally, i have an OB-6 that completely fullfil my analogues needs :->.

But i look with interest to toys like the Prophet X, or more the Quantum, looking for something different.

For exemple, it would be about the time to build an hardware, knobby synth based on radical physical models, something like an hardware implementation of AAS software.

May be the problem is that digital innovation is easier and less risky in the software instruments domain ? After all, what justify the existence of an hardware instrument if the exact

algorithm can run on a laptop ?

Maurizio

Nord Wave 2, Nord Electro 6D 61,, Rameau upright,  Hammond Pro44H Melodica.

Too many Arturia, NI and AAS plugins

http://www.barbogio.org/

• 9 months later...

You reminded me of an old Benny Hill sketch where he demonstrates "Peeking Duck". Has not aged well.

Sounds great on pads. Filter cutoff sweep sounds very smooth. $2300 - ouch. ASM Hydrasynth managed a $1299 price point.

The Hydrasynth is one part only. It has no multi-timbral function.

The Kyra is 8 part multi-timbral. That means you can design 8 instruments and they can play a midi file simultaneously, or respond to a sequencer.

If you don't care, the Hydrasynth is fine, and has some unique features. If you do, there is no comparison. The Kyra is extremely powerful.

The Kyra suffered from lots of bugs at first, like the Access Virus TI, and many synths we know, LOL. It was not a Waldorf only thing, but a colaboration.

The latest Waldorf bad boys are the Quantum and the new Irridium, equally cheap ;)

But in fact they really are cheap, when you consider the numbers. Hydrasynth was designed to sell alot of copies, and many choices were made to facilitate that. Like being a single part digital synth :(

I'm interested to hear the latest demo.

RT-3/U-121/Leslie 21H and 760/Saltarelle Nuage/MOXF6/MIDIhub, 

SL-880/Nektar T4/Numa Cx2/Deepmind12/Virus TI 61/SL61 mk2

Stylophone R8/Behringer RD-8/Proteus 1/MP-7/Zynthian 4

MPC1k/JV1010/Unitor 8/Model D & 2600/WX-5&7/VL70m/DMP-18 Pedals

Natal drums/congas etc & misc bowed/plucked/blown instruments.