Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT: You can play the keys. But can you cook ?

Listen up, creative ones.

If you are creative with your music, it could cross over to other areas.

Yeah, yeah, no one has time, gigs, band drama, practice, etc etc.

Not buying it.

If you eat, you can make time to cook.

Today, I made beef stroganoff, and substituted zucchini for pasta noodles.

Thats the secret, I bought 6 huge zucchinis and shredded them, cooked them

in olive oil, salt pepper. Until these guys got reduced.

Might be fun to see other cooking ideas. From musicians.

Thanks !

Why fit in, when you were born to stand out ?

My Soundcloud with many originals:

[70's Songwriter]

I love to cook. In my younger years I was a cook at a local family owned Italian restaurant and picked up a lot of good tips. Over the years, I've expanded my capabilities with Mexican, Chinese, and Thai. I'm not one to cook from recipes....I make it up as I go. One of the most difficult things sometimes if finding good fresh ingredients.

Here's a tip for fish: If you can find them, buy banana leaves. Season to your liking - could be mango and coconut milk, butter and garlic, whatever floats your boat. Wrap it up in the banana leaf and stitch it shut with a bamboo skewer and cook it on the grill. Everything steams inside the leaf and the fish will come out cooked perfectly.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

OK, I'll play. I am the cook for my household of 6, 5 adults and 1 teenager. Today I made meatloaf and mashed potatoes, with roasted broccoli and cauliflower. American comfort food. I actually have Michael Lee Aday's (known professionally as Meat Loaf) meatloaf recipe. True story. I got it 30 years ago and it's always been a family favorite.

I've mentioned this over the years when this topic comes up. I cook more than I play keys. I'm a much better cook than a keyboard player. Wish it were different, but that's the cards I have been dealt. :sigh:

:nopity:

I absolutely love to cook. My pride and joy is my lasagna. Takes a few days to make it right.

dB

That's how you know you're doing it right!!! Same for me. Prep and Sauce alone is the better part of a day. Assembly and baking usually finishes out that day and you can eat then if you want, but it's BEST to chill it overnight, then cut slices, put them in a pan with additional sauce and cheese and bake it again! That's usually a Saturday/Sunday process for me. Oh, and anybody who uses cottage cheese in lasagna is dead to me!!!

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

I rediscovered cooking during my decades-long bachelorhood after divorce. What started as necessity became comfort, became fun and exploration.

Nowadays my wife does the bulk of the cuisine, and is gently working to help me lose some poundage.

But this weekend I made Chinese barbecued lamb chops and spicy garlic eggplant - turned out quite well my lovely wife says.

I absolutely love to cook. My pride and joy is my lasagna. Takes a few days to make it right.

dB

Oh yes. I don't like to brag. But what the hey.

My wife had 10 of her girl friends over.

I made my lasagna.

After, they told my wife, she better be nice to me or else they are available.

I don't think they are serious but you never know with women. They also enjoy my Sound Cloud.

[70's Songwriter]

Oh, and anybody who uses cottage cheese in lasagna is dead to me!!!

kinda like using zucchini in beef stroganoff. :doh::D

some of us are more creative than others. ;)

a spiralizer will reduce your carb intake. You should know, processed pasta is carb heavy. etc etc

Here is the spiralizer:

[70's Songwriter]

One of the best things you can do for yourself and the planet is to cook (and where possible, grow) your own food.

that is a home run. or a hat trick in hockey.

[70's Songwriter]

Another KB player here who also loves to cook. :cool:

with all this talent, I can see a " Keyboard Corner CookBook "

Then again, no one here needs money from book sales so maybe its just a good idea ;)

I also make killer chili. And home made pizza.

Restaurants miss me.

[70's Songwriter]

YES!!! I'll brag. Cooking is just an extension of arranging patch making. I'm crazy about cooking. Love TexMex and Indian probably the best, though. Just made a batch of hot pepper sauce the other day that will give you the Emersons for days. Enchiladas, Palack Paneer, and various unethical concoctions with Eggs are my mainstays. Just give me some eggs and various ingredients and we'll have a feast.

Puck Funk! :)

Equipment: Laptop running lots of nerdy software, some keyboards, noise makersâ¦yada yada yadaâ¦maybe a cat?

YES!!! I'll brag. Cooking is just an extension of arranging patch making. I'm crazy about cooking. Love TexMex and Indian probably the best, though. Just made a batch of hot pepper sauce the other day that will give you the Emersons for days. Enchiladas, Palack Paneer, and various unethical concoctions with Eggs are my mainstays. Just give me some eggs and various ingredients and we'll have a feast.

thats really cool.

Us keyboard folks are enthusiastic and passionate about our music and it extends to cooking.

For me, it also extends to gardening. I consider my yard to be a huge palette of color and diverse growth.

All this is great work worth doing and very satisfying.

[70's Songwriter]

In all seriousness, I do think that arranging and mixing ingredients comes from the same place. It combines creative mixtures of differing elements to create a greater whole... along with the technical realities of what works and what is possible. I've always viewed patch construction and writing keyboard parts as an extension of arranging. Some guitarists are totally into that end of things too, the 'active' gear heads who actually experiment and use their equipment. I bet they make a damned good soufflé!

I should note that my wife can't eat meat, and I didn't grow up eating a lot of it every day. I'm teaching myself to cook a good steak, but my forte tends to be legumes, eggs, and veggies, with a WHOLE LOT OF SPICES. I probably grill an average of one onion a day.

Equipment: Laptop running lots of nerdy software, some keyboards, noise makersâ¦yada yada yadaâ¦maybe a cat?

I don't even let my wife in the kitchen.

Tonight was turkey burger steaks with mushroom gravy, mashed potatoes, and broccoli, cauliflower, carrot, and squash vegetable blend.

About once every few months I'll roast a turkey to keep my skills honed.

"In the beginning, Adam had the blues, 'cause he was lonesome.

So God helped him and created woman.

Now everybody's got the blues."

Willie Dixon

I"m a good cook, and sometimes regret not pursuing that instead of music for a living. Until I remember the hours, the heat, the stress.

I just finished the Audible of Anthony Bourdain reading his breakout book, 'Kitchen Confidential" and can"t recommend it highly enough. But you can"t let your mind wander - he"s a fast talker, full of information. And I found out what days to order what food in restaurants. You"ll be disgusted to learn why no fish on Mondays!

The fact there's a Highway To Hell and only a Stairway To Heaven says a lot about anticipated traffic numbers

People only say "It's a free country" when they're doing something shitty-Demetri Martin

I stole Grandma's White Castle Turkey Dressing and every year I need more.

48 double cheeseburgers last year, this year 64.

It keeps me thinking MIDI, but 2020 will be extremely festive with 128.

I love to cook.

Imagine Italians and Mexicans in the kitchen.

Magnus C350 + FMR RNP + Realistic Unisphere Mic

I started cooking as soon as my mother was convinced I wouldn't burn down the house. When I played with an 11 piece funk band I was one of three who cooked and we took turns feeding everybody. Over the course of our marriage I've cooked more than my wife has. She's catching up, though. I don't bake much or grill, but my range top cooking is quite passable. Many of my wife's co-workers are Indian, and we've gotten into the cuisine. She bought me Madhur Jaffrey's "An Invitation to Indian Cooking" a few years ago. The Butter Chicken recipe is ridiculous. I've done her saag gosht, biriyani, and a few others as well. We tried making naan and got the flavor right, just the wrong texture. Not far from my house is a Lebanese grocery/restaurant where you can special order halal meats and they stock spices from all over the the Middle East and Asia. That's where I get the boneless lamb shoulder. I don't cook Indian often because it's fairly labor/time intensive, but the kitchen is a happy place when I do.

9 Moog things, 3 Roland things, 2 Hammond things and a computer with stuff on it

I don't even let my wife in the kitchen.

Not a chance. We've got a one-butt kitchen, every time she comes in there while I'm cooking I feel my stress level go up. "This kitchen ain't big enough for the two of us!"

I encourage her to do baking, cuz I don't have the patience for that jazz. But mostly, she should get back in the office and make us some more money, worman! (Gender roles were made to fuck with)

Pretty much every musicians I've played with loves to cook, I think they go hand-in-hand. Every single one of my dirty rock band is like a gourmet chef with tons of personalized recipes that we pass around. We need to do an "Elephant Cookbook"

I love to cook. Amongst a number of dishes cooked inside, my two specialties are wings on the grill and one of the most tender steak you ever had on the grill. The wings are covered in a special sauce and the steak is marinated all day with a combination of seasoning and sauces. Both cooked on customized combination gass / wood grill.
Montage 7, Mojo 61, PC-3, XK-3c Pro, Kronos 88, Hammond SK-1, Motif XF- 7, Hammond SK-2, Roland FR-1, FR-18, Hammond B3 - Blond, Hammond BV -Cherry

I'm available to come over and eat. Can only make popcorn, and my wife seldom cooks.

I thought I had the simple life. My wife orders those huge containers of flavored popcorn. So we got that covered, thanks

Maybe bring your fav keyboard over ?

The wives can watch Dirty Housewives of Orange County or other reality TV stuff.

[70's Songwriter]

In all seriousness, I do think that arranging and mixing ingredients comes from the same place. It combines creative mixtures of differing elements to create a greater whole... along with the technical realities of what works and what is possible. I've always viewed patch construction and writing keyboard parts as an extension of arranging. Some guitarists are totally into that end of things too, the 'active' gear heads who actually experiment and use their equipment. I bet they make a damned good soufflé!

I should note that my wife can't eat meat, and I didn't grow up eating a lot of it every day. I'm teaching myself to cook a good steak, but my forte tends to be legumes, eggs, and veggies, with a WHOLE LOT OF SPICES. I probably grill an average of one onion a day.

well said , brother.

I recall your Alaska lifestyle. How did you ever give up fresh salmon ?

I suppose all the mahi mahi in Hawaii helped the transition ;)

[70's Songwriter]

Anyone who hasn't made Saag/Palack Paneer (Palack is a type of Saag) is in for a treat! Paneer is one of the most FUN things to make. It's like a kindergarten science experiment. And Saag is super-easy: mostly just puréed spinach with spices. We get butter in bulk at Costco, and I always convert one box into Ghee (clarified butter) so I can make Indian at the drop of a hat. I tend to use a lot of pre-made simmer sauces for quick weekday meals, but I love making a good Lamb Vindaloo from scratch when we have dinner guests.

Music became my profession ... cooking became my hobby.

Yes, I can !

I care for mom since years,- and i cook all day, trying to keep it interesting and to come up w/ variations etc..

I love it !

When I´m pi##ed otherwise,- I cook.

At least for me, it´s the best way compensating stress.

A.C.

Lessee,...

20-ish years ago, I let Alton Brown convince me to make Mac and Cheese from scratch in three different ways; stovetop, baked, and deep-fried. When I realized that stovetop mac and cheese, from scratch, takes about 30 minutes versus 25 minutes to make it from the Kraft box, I completely ceased buying boxes.

I am (and many of my friends are) convinced that I make the best white bread in the world. I've got my wife trained up to about 90-95% as good as mine.

I make pepperoni rolls, North Central WV's regional/ethnic sandwich, originally developed as a non-spoiling meat sandwich for coal miners. I cut the pepperoni into sticks; Hormel slices are for losers.

Having grown up in a very Italian hillbilly culture, I make pizzas with homemade thick crusts. In a 550 F oven, on a pizza stone. Okay, I use Hormel slices for that.

On the liquid end, my wife and I also make snob-grade coffee and tea. Coffee is recently roasted, fresh ground, and prepared in a Chemex pot. Tea is loose leaf, from Upton Tea online.

Less superlative, but still tasty, I make rice pudding, custard-based ice cream, cobbler, brownies, chocolate pudding, and hot cocoa from scratch.

-Tom Williams

{First Name} {at} AirNetworking {dot} com

PC4-7, PX-5S, AX-Edge, PC361