Please forgive me but I didn't know where else to turn - like so many noobs!
I am thinking about getting a MIDI controller. I have a MacBook Pro with Mojave 10.14.6 and use Logic Pro X, Final Cut, and sometimes Audacity. I am gearing up for podcasts and youtube videos of which OBS will be a part of my workflow. However, the controller will be use primarily for upping my game in the following areas:
1) Sound effects during live stream podcasts and youtube videos;
2) Live theatre style events and live streams of sound effects. I gamemaster for role playing games and host murder mystery parties in which I am wanting to ambient music, monster sound effects, and other audio gems to the game table / virtual table at the push of a button without the need of navigating file menus and such through my DAW or other software;
3) I would also like to take my music creation from just garage jamming to actual recording in a studio I'm building in my home.
I was looking at the Maschine MK3, MK3 Mikro, Personus Atom, Akai MPK 249/261, Novation launch pad Pro, and the Akai APC40 Mii. There are soo many out there I've about exhausted my ability to dive any further and ran into analysis paralysis. Ultimately I don't want to be interacting with a keyboard/laptop at the table while I'm telling a story. I am wanting something I can just push button behind the game screen where I've got all my notes and books laid out and a laptop becomes cumbersome in this environment.
Here's what I want in terms of functionality:
1) Full ability to be used while recording my screen with OBS and in Logic Pro X and compatibility on the MacOS/iOS eco systems. If I must use other software it must be mac compatible with the exported files being used in Logic Pro X / Final Cut.
2) High quality/durability -- i.e. professional grade
3) push button assignments for full ambient sound effects & background music such as bar atmosphere crow, jazz bar music, cave ambient sounds, wind and thunderstorms, etc.
4) push button assignments for sound effects that are one offs such as a dragon roar or some pre-prep'd character speech.
5) ability to be used as a music machine as most people use these for.
Nice to have:
1) Velocity sensitive key's because I do toy with finger drumming at times and would enjoy this feature.
2) A device which would not need to be connected to a laptop but this is not essential.
I don't DJ and am new to midi / professional music DAW use / creation so am really lost in all this. I don't plan to DJ music but considering the rpg aspect of what I do and am, trying to accomplish, I figured midi controllers should be what I was looking for.
Am I looking at the right equipment and in the ball park of what I should be looking for? Or am i completely off in left field? What would you recommend I look at to meet my needs? Any particular product favorites out there?
Much appreciation for your assistance and patience.