Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Rest in Peace Ginger Baker

Larryz

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ginger Baker and Jack Bruce fought like cats and dogs, and they hated each other with a passion, maybe that was the reason they did some amazing music, They got more out of 3 instruments than any other band in their day. Of course he was considered an a-hole by some folks, however I did not have to deal with him personally. I did watch a Netflix on him a bunch of months ago, and I could see how he would be called an a-hole, and I would not have liked to work with someone like that, but he sure added a bunch to Creams power, and for that I can admire his contribution to the late 60's musical excellence.

I just read of this today,.

The NYTimes has an interesting article citing 15 of his performances.

w/ links to audio-visuals.

< https://www.nytimes.com/2019/10/06/arts/music/ginger-baker-songs.html >

While I disagree abt his status as "best ever drummer"

he was quite talented.

Here's what 1 of his strongest acolytes had to say while inducting Cream into the R&R HOF..

[video:youtube]

Here's one that I bet most of his rock fans haven't heard.

It's a long groove but abt 7:45 Baker revs into a drum solo/perc duet that breaks out in earnest @ 8:00 & lasts several minutes.

Another track from that session.

Drum spotlight starts 5:05 & has a particularly striking cymbal bit abt 6:29

& finally we have this

[video:youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d7h8CqYXEx0

d=halfnote

Ginger Baker and Jack Bruce fought like cats and dogs, and they hated each other with a passion, maybe that was the reason they did some amazing music, They got more out of 3 instruments than any other band in their day. Of course he was considered an a-hole by some folks, however I did not have to deal with him personally. I did watch a Netflix on him a bunch of months ago, and I could see how he would be called an a-hole, and I would not have liked to work with someone like that, but he sure added a bunch to Creams power, and for that I can admire his contribution to the late 60's musical excellence.

The short lived "Blind Faith" group may have had something to do with Baker and it's 'cup-a-coffee' moment in music history. I read where Clapton was not very keen on him being part of the project and may have some thing to with the break up though it's just a guess on my part because I don't recall EC ever admitting to that being the case.