Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

RIP Ginger Baker

Dave Bryce

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My father was a jazz drummer, and a damn good one. He had disdain for most rock drummers - except when I turned him on to Ginger Baker. Dad thought he was amazingly innovative, musical, and precise, and I couldn't agree more. Even though I'm not a drummer, he was a huge influence on me for other instruments, and well as for "assembling" drum parts from acoustic drum loops and electronic drums. His reliance on toms, and super-sparing use of cymbals, was part of his signature sound.

Listening to him also taught me a lot about bass. That may not make sense to most people, but when you listen to how he played the toms...

I never got to meet him, only Jack Bruce. Maybe that's just as well; he had a reputation of being pretty volatile. Maybe it's best just to remember his incredible drumming skills. Wasn't anyone like him at the time, and hasn't been anyone like him since.