Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Room on stage and angled rack case?

Like a lot of us, I end up playing gigs that involve squeezing into spaces much tighter than ideal. I actually have two rigs, one for an average space and one for a really tight space. The downside of the smaller rig is no line mixer, IEMS out of my MODX7's headphone jack (which means I don't hear much of the band) and no power conditioner as they are all in a rack case that I sit on an X-stand and it won't fit in those smaller spaces.

What I'm interested in is: how do you make the best of tiny spaces and does anyone use a floor based rack mount system that can tilt upwards or have some other useful ideas?

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I just set up a 6u shallow rack so the rear cover can be left on, and the rack on the floor, pointed straight up. I had the rack on an amp stand on an angle, with the power connections at the back, but Tony suggested the power up front. Works good

"I  cried when I wrote this song
Sue me if I play too long"

Walter Becker Donald Fagan 1977 Deacon Blues

I use a small digital mixer (Behringer XR12) as a concentrator for my keyboards, condensing 5 or 7 inputs into a stereo pair. I have it preset to a pretty decent unity gain mixdown, but in a pinch I can use an Android tablet to tweak volumes or EQs. I used to use it as a 5x14 inch (13x36 cm) floor unit -- it sat unobtrusively beside my keyboard stand -- although now I have it in a small rack with a couple of radios (keytar receiver and IEM transmitter) and a power conditioner.

-Tom Williams

{First Name} {at} AirNetworking {dot} com

PC4-7, PX-5S, AX-Edge, PC361

I don"t know.... This forum says my pics are blocked file types. I can show the most compact way. Non angled. Straight sunny side up under the 88. Your actual footprint is pretty much the size of the master board. The rack is a Furman Distributor, front patch panel, one space line mixer, IEM Transmitter. Inside are the Vent and the DIs. It"s a 4 space rack. I never need to touch the rack anyway. Everything is controlled through the Kronos and pedal board. Outside amp of sound check knock on wood you don"t touch the rack.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

I"ll try this. This is a rack bag with rubber feet for standing upright. Use black gaff tape to cover the Gator logo

lJLS1kX.jpg

kBt100F.jpg

N2slriA.jpg

qBbAVyk.jpg

I've worked over time to eliminate a rack. Occasionally it means putting a small piece of gear in the floor, but my footprint is an apex stand. Exception is my original band when I have some space on stage and want to put on a show....then I bring out 3 keyboards in an L shape and a Keytar.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

Great responses - thanks!

CEB: quick question, I use a similar power conditioner but all the connections are at the back of the rack so I have to have both covers off at each end. That's the challenge I'm trying to get around. Great pics though!

The bag has rubber feet on the bottom. Its designed to allow the cord to pass out the bottom.

PmvMvU3

I had a lot to stuff in my racks in a small space so I designed the racks as a keyboard stand.

http://www.analoguediehard.com/tour/offsite-rig/stage-system-keyboard-tiers-racks-1.jpg

More details on my webpage.. Although the pictures show a parallel setup, I have used it in an "L" configuration to squeeze into small spaces.

I"ll try this. This is a rack bag with rubber feet for standing upright. Use black gaff tape to cover the Gator logo

lJLS1kX.jpg

kBt100F.jpg

N2slriA.jpg

qBbAVyk.jpg

Lol - nice rig but that doesn"t qualify for the OP criteria of small stage. You could do most anything (in reason) you want on that separate keyboard riser.

Me - I ride naked. AX-48 stand, 1.MODX7 board, a dual stereo or mono outs to the DI. 1 sustain and one latching switch pedal. Boom. I use the FOH monitor for my sound, so i can bring in some band mix with my keys.

The baiting I do is purely for entertainment value. Please feel free to ignore it.

We usually play pretty big clubs but the rig is really compact. The size of the bottom board sets the footprint. I play through IEMs. The rack and pedalboard sits under the board. Another cool thing is those Monolith stands I use. When trying to maneuver with your board during setups and tear downs you can walk straight through the stand. You don"t have to walk around like on an X stand or my 3 tier K&M setup. That can be really handy in tight quarters if you use a heavy board.

PS - Regarding the Monolith. I"ve had three. Never had any issue. A weld finally broke on the first one. I"ve had it 10-15 years. But. DB had trouble with the top tiers. He went through two sets of tiers and couldn"t keep them tight. So ask around regarding this stand.

David as you know I use a rack system too, but for tiny footprint gigs I leave the entire thing behind.

I take one 61-key keyboard and a super small and cheap line mixer that I literally dump on the floor, along with a cheap stereo DI box. I use it to control my personal monitoring and I hear the rest of the band via a combination of lead vox's monitors and our guitarist facing his amp across stage rather than towards the audience.

Ironically, you have inspired me to potentially improve this system and get a separate small rack unit for a rack-mount line mixer. I'm thinking of placing that above my one keyboard on a two tier stand. Shouldn't increase footprint and will be a cleaner and more acessible solution than what I'm currently doing.

However I'm putting this upgrade on hold as I have anti-GAS and hate spending money on equipment. Need to play a few more shows first to build the cookie jar.

What I'm interested in is: how do you make the best of tiny spaces and does anyone use a floor based rack mount system that can tilt upwards or have some other useful ideas?

Who says a rack has to be "on stage" ?

I´ve worked w/ "off stage" racks for decades ... several (large) ones.

Today we don´t need those rigs urgently,- but I don´t see any difference in using smaller racks "off stage" too.

As long as there´s full control via MIDI,- which is just matter of organization,- there should be no problem.

Avoid latest/greatest software rigs because everyting VST3 doesn´t work w/ "old school" MIDI PrgChanges anymore !

A.C.

When I gigged out regularly, I had a power conditioner, wireless mic unit and a Roland JV-2080 in a shallow rack. The rack went on an angled amp stand, which could go on either side of me or sometimes in front of me depending on the venue. It was nice because it boosted it off the floor to within my reach.

I ran my keyboard and JV-2080 to a small Behringer mixer on the floor near me, then ran that out to the main board.

I'm not sure if an amp stand would help you out, but something to consider?

MainStage; Hammond SK1-73; Roland XP-80, JV-90, JV-1080, JV-1010, AX-1; Korg microSAMPLER;

Boss DR-880; Beat Buddy; Neo Instruments Ventilator; TC Electronic ND-1 Nova Delay

Here's my latest rack.

Everything, including power, it on the front side. This allows me several stage setting options.

On a big stage, I can set it up on the stand, and put my Macbook on top.

On small stages, it can sit on it's back, under my keyboard stand

The power connector is the Neutrik Powercon . It's the connector far left on the i/o panel.

This setup has been rock solid. The Focusrite 18i20 can also be a standalone mixer, so whether I am using Mainstage, or just hardware boards, this rack handles both.

caXzY3.jpg

Back side of i/o panel showing power cable from the power conditioner connected to the Powercon connector.

MlKyMh.jpg

power cable with Powercon Connector

PvBUyJ.jpg

Back of rack has a hinged and vented panel for emergency access, and airflow.

Rday43.jpg

zwloMT.jpg

David

Gig Rig:Depends on the day :thu:

When I gigged out regularly, I had a power conditioner, wireless mic unit and a Roland JV-2080 in a shallow rack. The rack went on an angled amp stand, which could go on either side of me or sometimes in front of me depending on the venue. It was nice because it boosted it off the floor to within my reach.

I ran my keyboard and JV-2080 to a small Behringer mixer on the floor near me, then ran that out to the main board.

I'm not sure if an amp stand would help you out, but something to consider?

Thanks! Yes I think it might be something I'll explore. I may also need to migrate to a shallow rack - I'd gone for a deep one so I could have the power supplies etc comfortably mounted behind their units etc, but it makes the depth too large to fit on a keyboard stand etc,

And thanks for the rig update David - have always loved the way you have everything set up like that! Would love to know the specific rack you're using there?