Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Musical Self-awareness

Spinning this a bit off of Outkaster's topic (Musical Immaturity). Although related, it is a different layer of the onion. I've found the best bandmates to be the ones that have a high level of self-awareness. This includes knowing where (gigs) you should (or shouldn't) play, how to realistically assess your own skill level, knowing what to play, what to "go for" during a song and even when to lay out or keep it stupid simple.

I'm in a situation where I audition musicians for a church band. It's amazing how many say "I can play bass, drums, keys, guitar and piano." EVERY TIME, this really means they have touched each of these instruments and play most of them at some rudimentary level with no real ability to play in a band setting. I always say, let's hear what you can do on your BEST instrument, and audition for that. Many have proven to be a trainwreck, playing with no regard for signature song parts, intros, etc. When questioned about what they're playing, I typically hear "Well, it sounded better that way to me."

I know my strengths and weaknesses as a player and I know where I belong. I stay in my lane and try to always serve the song and the bandmates I'm playing with. I often gravitate to simple parts, opting for 'tasteful' over trying to impress. I feel validation in my approach because I'm often told by others how much they enjoy playing with me.

Musical immaturity often passes, but if you have poor self-awareness, you will only be as good your poor perspective.

Kurzweil Forte, Yamaha Motif ES7, Muse Receptor 2 Pro Max, Neo Ventilator

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I know my strengths and weaknesses as a player and I know where I belong. I stay in my lane and try to always serve the song and the bandmates I'm playing with. I often gravitate to simply parts, opting for 'tasteful' over trying to impress. I feel validation in my approach because I'm often told by others how much they enjoy playing with me.
+1 on that. I wish every musician I play with felt the same way.

These are only my opinions, not supported by any actual knowledge, experience, or expertise.

For me there are a lot of guys that do something because they think they can. My Judo instructor said one time "just because you can do something doesn't always mean you should" I think for being a keyboard/piano player the level we have to be at is so much higher just to play out, even as a semi-professional. Other instruments don't demand that level of proficiency, even to do a bar gig. We meet other musicians and try to form or join groups. I think what ends up happening a lot of the time is a mismatch in ability and understanding of music. More is expected of us than the other musicians we are playing with. I see it all the time and hearing you guys talk on all of these threads makes me sure of it even more.

Not to derail the thread but another observation kind of related is the ability to be musical. Believe it or not a lot of musicians aren't musical. I can tell by how they approach their instrument. Back in 2011-2012 my daughter was playing violin and we went to the winter concert at the HS every year.They had a brilliant kid from Korea that was always spotlighted and technically gifted. Then I noticed one kid, kind of unassuming, that was loose, that could just play. I knew that he had something. Will the soloist get into a conservatory? Probably but the kid with less technical skill is more talented to me because he will be able to play violin in a variety of settings. He is more transitional. Most of the time and instrument will chose you, not the other way around.

Bottom line i a lot of people aren't honest about what they are playing, why they are playing, and so forth. Understanding your role in music and having situational awareness is the key. If you can make a mistake (we all do) and learn from it is where the maturity comes in.

"Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

noblevibes.com

It was for a long time reluctant to say that I was a good player, for fear of coming off arrogant. It was not until I had the chance to share keyboard duties at a jam with a player that I respected, that at the time was touring with a major act and was able to hold my own, did I realize that I actually was good.

From that point on, I knew I could play, but I continued learning just what and when to play. As I got more and more aware of my role within the song. I learned that some times the best part to play is the simplest.

A great example of this is on Bob Segar's "The Answer is in the Question". The keyboard work in that song is so beautifully understated. It add so much to the overall mood of the song through its simplicity. I would think of it as a master class. This was played by our own Steve Nathan.

I experienced this on my own one time at a jam, where a local sax player played "Tuff" by Ace Cannon. It cam around to a piano solo, and I kept it as simple and lyrical as possible, emulating Pig Robbins. Afterward, the sax player told me it was the best solo he had ever hear, because I had not tried to show off and overplay, but kept it in the correct simplicity.

Can I shred? Yes. Do I need to shred on every song? Absolutely not.

"In the beginning, Adam had the blues, 'cause he was lonesome.

So God helped him and created woman.

Now everybody's got the blues."

Willie Dixon

Great discussion, here and on the other thread.

For me, it was learning to sublimate my ego. No ego == great playing. Sad but true. My egomaniac had to take a back seat in pursuit of musical happiness.

When it's time to show off, OK, I can show off. I can do keyboard gymnastics as well as the next guy. But it's rare. Learning that was hard for me because my base personality is to show off whenever possible. I had to unlearn that. It was worth the effort.

The thing I'm proudest of is making mediocre bar band music sound a bunch better, and featuring everyone else in the band with great support.

A while back, I connected with this great female vocalist, worked up a lounge act, and working out that experience dialed in the whole vibe for me. It was all about making her sound good, not me.

And it was glorious.

Want to make your band better?  Check out "A Guide To Starting (Or Improving!) Your Own Local Band"

The thing I'm proudest of is making mediocre bar band music sound a bunch better, and featuring everyone else in the band with great support..
Yeah. This.

These are only my opinions, not supported by any actual knowledge, experience, or expertise.

The thing I'm proudest of is making mediocre bar band music sound a bunch better, and featuring everyone else in the band with great support..
Yeah. This.

The best compliment I ever got was during a jam night that my band hosted. A complete band came in. They did not have a keyboard player, so I played keys with them.

Afterward they came up to me and told me that they sounded better with me playing with them.

THAT'S what you should strive for.

"In the beginning, Adam had the blues, 'cause he was lonesome.

So God helped him and created woman.

Now everybody's got the blues."

Willie Dixon

Yeah. This.

Yep me too. I don't mind the odd chance to stand in the sun but give me that support role any day.