Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Last Five Live Shows You've Seen

Are you getting out to see live music? You'd think, living in Austin, I would see live shows at least once a month. But it's that old thing, there's always something to go see, so if I wait there will always be something later.

My last five:

Israel Nash mini-festival on his acreage out in the hills. That was a lot of fun. Carrying the Neil Young torch.

Last time I went to the huge ACL festival was...I think...2011? Wow, time flies. The highlight was Stevie Wonder by far, me being a huge fan since I Was Made To Love Her was new on the radio.

Each year we go to a local church to hear the Texas Lutheran Univ. choirs put on their Christmas program. Beautiful church - modern architecture - and the choirs are generally quite good ('tho the brass section usually has someone pretty far out of tune at some point.)

Baroque program by local chamber music ensemble playing at the Blanton Museum of Art on the edge of the UT campus. It was all good, but hearing a host of Baroque composers, ending with Bach, made it so clear how Bach was a man among boys in his era.

Home concert venue called Wyldwood in South Austin is super laid back, home-grown, and fun. Matt the Electrician was the last act we saw there.

I need to get out more!!

How much do you guys see live shows?

nat

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

They come in batches. In reverse order,

Seth Walker (Mucky Duck)

Robert Cray Band with Zach Person (Heights Theater)

Jeff Goldblum & Mildred Snitzer Orchestra (Jones Hall)

(the above were all in September)

Heart, Elle King, and Joan Jett (Woodlands Pavilion)

Mingus Big Band (Miller Outdoor Theater)

The Rolling Stones with Bishop Gunn (NRG Stadium)

We also have some shows upcoming.

John Scofield Quartet (aka Combo 66)

Tedeschi Trucks Band

Tab Benoit

and maybe some others.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

I live in the boondocks, at least 90 miles from the nearest major music center. Local bands aren't that far, but any touring groups is a long drive. I don't go to concerts as often as I used to, and I don't like TicketBastard's shipping & handling fees - each - for 2x7 inch embossed postcard stock. Thank goodness for concert DVDs.

Just this past Sunday I saw "Paul & Dave's Excellent Adventure" - guitarists Paul Bielatowicz and Dave Bainbridge.

Before that, a few local shows:

Glorify (my former band)

Lisa Fenstermacher (local singer songwriter and good friend)

Wild Harbors and several other bands at Pittsburgh's Deutschtown Festival

Marillion (with openers District 97 and Sylph).

Scott Mulvahill (with opener Wild Harbors)

Sad that I missed King Crimson, Steve Hackett and Deep Purple over the last few weeks. But I'll be immersed in music next weekend at Progstock.

"Am I enough of a freak to be worth paying to see?"- Separated Out (Marillion)

NEW band Old band

Yeah, Houston has at least as much if not more live music than Austin, in spite of my hometown's self-appointed label as the Live Music Capital of the World. Austin is great, but, c'mon...hype is hype.

nat

It's funny, we're doing alright, but OTOH there are a lot of bands I'll see hit NOLA, Austin, Dallas, but skip right past us. I guess it all depends on promoters. We have a good promoter for big jazz acts (Da Camera, also Society for the Performing Arts brings in a few), but they don't get all of them all the time.

We're the fourth (soon to be third) largest city in the U.S. So we get some of the advantages of that but strangely, not all of them. :idk:

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

I generally don't see the big acts anymore because they've gotten to be so expensive and concerts are often during the week when I'm travelling for work. So most of what I've seen have been festivals or local bands. Either that or bands that were once big but are now doing smaller shows. Saw Morris Day and the Time at a festival, Camper Van Beethoven for a smaller show, El Monstero (local Pink Floyd tribute), and a couple other local bands you've never heard of would round out the last 5.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

Yeah, Houston has at least as much if not more live music than Austin, in spite of my hometown's self-appointed label as the Live Music Capital of the World. Austin is great, but, c'mon...hype is hype.

nat

It's funny, we're doing alright, but OTOH there are a lot of bands I'll see hit NOLA, Austin, Dallas, but skip right past us. I guess it all depends on promoters. We have a good promoter for big jazz acts (Da Camera, also Society for the Performing Arts brings in a few), but they don't get all of them all the time.

We're the fourth (soon to be third) largest city in the U.S. So we get some of the advantages of that but strangely, not all of them. :idk:

Austin is great for indie stuff, and a slow-growing but persistent electronic scene. We get skipped by a lot of the big tours, but slowly making progress on those. What we've never been is any kind of serious jazz destination. Local jazzers, with a few exceptions, tend to be made up of UT students who will move on soon after graduating. Although I did get to see Bill Frisell at the Continental Club which holds maybe 100 people, crammed. That was memorable to say the least. The ACL Festival is the cost-effective way to see tons of bands from A-list to obscure locals if you can take the crowds and the weather. SXSW is also a very big deal, but the spring is my busy work season, so I've never gone to a single SXSW event.

I was in high school in Houston, and saw a ton of great back-in-the-day classic tours around 69-73 like Elton John, The Who, Traffic, Mountain, The Band, James Taylor, The Animals, Steve Miller Band, Leon Russell, Poco, Badfinger, Lee Michaels, Derek and the Dominoes, plus locals like the 13th Floor Elevators, Bubble Puppy, ZZ Top. And a trip to La Bastille, a tiny jazz club in what used to be called the Old Market Square area, to see Lionel Hampton play with a quartet to a tiny, mostly black crowd.

nat

1 - Rick Wakeman (last night)

2 - Straubs (this summer)

3 - Paula Cole (earlier this year)

4 - UK (a few years ago - w/Terry Bozzio)

5 - Rush (a few years before #4)

I have a semi-secret soft spot for prog. At the same time I'm frustrated with the strong tendency for prog to be just not that, i.e., progressive. Stuck in the late 60s, 70s. Not all, of course. But so many are still channeling Yes and ELP, Genesis, etc. Rush is their own thing, I'll grant them that. And such talent. I've tried a hundred times to warm up to Rush, but just haven't been able to. But they certainly have my respect if not my ear.

nat

Just bought tickets for myself and my son to see Max Richter at the Austin City Limits main stage where they film the shows. Don't know if this one will be filmed or not. The wife declined the invite...doesn't care for this hybrid ambient/classical/electronic/weirdish sort of material.

I've lived here since 1973 and never set foot in this ACL venue, so....it's about time!

nat

1. Ringo Starr and Friends (Colin Hay, Steve Lukather, etc.)

2. FloydFest, featuring Brandi Carlisle, Kasey Musgraves, String Cheese Incident, Lukas Nelson, and many others

3. Pat Metheny (front row!)

4. Steve Vai, Yngwee Malmsteen, Nuno Bettencourt, Zakk Wilde, and friends

5. Some dude from Long Island who calls himself a piano man and gripes about having to cut his songs down to 3:05 :)

I don't remember going back five (probably some club shows or some weird experimental shows or who knows what, but the last two were:

1. Rod Stewart/Jeff Beck at the Hollywood Bowl. This was not really something I was excited about, as I am not a huge Rod Stewart fan (although I don't dislike him either, I'm just not a huge fan), but the possibility of seeing him perform with Jeff Beck and maybe doing some Jeff Beck Group stuff was enticing enough that I agreed to go. I wish I hadn't. Stewart did his very slick "Vegas revue" thing with lounge lizard jackets and dancing girls and a bizarre re-imagining of Fleetwood Mac's "Landslide", complete with women in short sexy skirts doing runway model strutting and hip thrusts.

Jeff Beck finally came on stage. Then played five songs. Then they left. Bang. Done. No "thank you...good night!". Done.

2. Iron Maiden at Banc of America, Los Angeles. This was vibrant, energetic, and expertly played, a really good show.