Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

"Next to You" - new from Dirty Loops

Just caught this new drop from Dirty Loops.

First thoughts - I like the writing - it seems like they've grown on me as songwriters. The very early debut efforts were initially "wow!" but subsequent early vids seemed like extreme chop tests (formidable, indeed!) but I kinda got anesthetized to them.

With this one, I really dig the tune, there are some killer chops, of course - and the tune reminds me of Toto in some spots. What you think?

[video:youtube]

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The 80s influence is strong with this one! I hear Michael Jackson in addition to the aforementioned Toto (so it was funny to see Quincy Jones Management listed at the end of the credits). They also remind me a bit of The Main Squeeze -- a very different approach, but a similar concept of combining slick 80s R&B and chops-heavy rock/metal elements.

I'd heard the name The Dirty Loops before, but had never heard any of their music. Thanks for the share.

Samuel B. Lupowitz

Musician. Songwriter. Food Enthusiast. Bad Pun Aficionado.

I agree on the Toto influences. Maybe a tad long. :)

Still just as monstrous and funky as when they first debuted. :thu:

Yes - I skipped ahead during the first verse...was a bit sparse and long. I hear the Toto vibe too.

I'm sure a radio edit could focus the tune a bit.

I heard this somewhere else and enjoyed it. But for some reason still disappointed that it wasn't this:

[video:youtube]

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

I've liked them from the beginning and still do. Not how I play, and it can be hard to listen to too much at one time, but they are friggin' great musicians, and it always shows. Songs build, they all have tremendous feel and even their most complex riffs are still clearly rooted in groove and funk. Still a fan.

I want to like it but can't. It's like they're trying to get a foot in the pop music world but at the same time sabotaging that effort with convoluted song structures and gratuitous displays of virtuosity. How much of this is their idea and how much is Quincy Jones Productions saying "we'll make you rich, but here's what ya gotta do . . . " I'd love to hear them on a much smaller budget with complete artistic freedom.

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

Sick and tired of the melismatic vocals,,,,,
I'm old, so melisma only works for me when Van Morrison does it. And even then, he overdoes it.

If it's a genuine expression of feeling, fine. But if it's vocal pyrotechnics just for the sake of flexing skillz, no thank you.

These are only my opinions, not supported by any actual knowledge, experience, or expertise.

Sick and tired of the melismatic vocals,,,,,
I'm old, so melisma only works for me when Van Morrison does it. And even then, he overdoes it.

If it's a genuine expression of feeling, fine. But if it's vocal pyrotechnics just for the sake of flexing skillz, no thank you.

I'm in agreement with you guys. Christina Aguilera and Mariah Carey do that all the time, super annoying and I think they are both fantastic singers. When they lay back and dispense with the hyperbolic melismatic stuff, it's so great.

Some music I've recorded and played over the years with a few different bands

Tommy Rude Soundcloud

• 2 weeks later...