Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

MIDI/Audio interface for iPad Pro (USB-C connection)

Anyone have a favorite or preferred MIDI and/or MIDI-Audio interface for the iPad Pro?

Is an adapter cable the only option for the USB-C port on it?

Are there any to absolutely avoid? Fragile, unreliable, poor design...

I'm looking for something good for using specifically with music education apps for reading, timing, chord identification, etc.

And while somewhat on that topic, anyone have a favorite small or portable keyboard for travel and hotel room practicing, writing (see above - reading, timing, etc., not necessarily full two handed piano practicing)?

Thanks,

steadyb

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey... watching with interest on the MIDI interface part. It seems like combined MIDI/Audio interfaces are pretty rare in the iOS lines.

Regarding the keyboard, I just picked up an Arturia MiniLab MkII. The keys are "slim" (they don't call them mini, lol) but the build quality is really great, and it drops in a backpack. I find it plays really well.

Check out the Sweet Clementines CD at bandcamp

Anyone have a favorite or preferred MIDI and/or MIDI-Audio interface for the iPad Pro?

I'm looking for something good for using specifically with music education apps for reading, timing, chord identification, etc.

And while somewhat on that topic, anyone have a favorite small or portable keyboard for travel and hotel room practicing, writing (see above - reading, timing, etc., not necessarily full two handed piano practicing)?

Thanks,

steadyb

Hi steadyb! Seems we keep tripping over each other here and there, hope you're doing well. :)

The jury is largely still out on those "clamp this dock to the iPad Pro and it gives you all kinds of ports" products; some folks love this one or hate that one for reliability or stability issues, etc. The reviews on MacWorld are less sucky than most, I recommend you check there.

As for interfaces, as mentioned before, any class compliant USB MIDI/Audio interface will work. My absolute favorite is the Novation AudioHub 2x4, which is a powered USB hub as well as a neat little backpackable interface, but you'll have to look for a used one as they've recently been discontinued. Works a treat. The other great option if you don't want something super heavy is the IK Multimedia iRig Pro I/O, which has MIDI I/O on DIN-to-minijack adapters, stereo out on minijack, AC power that charges the iPad (beware! other IK interfaces don't), and a Combo jack for XLR mic or 1/4" guitar input. Very handy.

To follow on Geoff's post: as someone who owns and uses two of them, I can say that for your purposes the iConnectivity interfaces are killing a fly with a sledgehammer. They're for people with really intricate setups that need to run two computers at once into one interface, and the tricks they perform to do that without crashing anything are pretty much rocket science...

Portable keyboards? Hoo boy, I could talk for hours, but it would help if I knew what you specifically needed and how much you wanted to spend. CME Xkey Air 25 is fabulous for the money; if you want a sustain pedal and DIN MIDI as an option, the wired (not Air) Xkey 37 is sweet (get the Solar case for it and its accessories). A bit more conventional but heavier is the Arturia KeyStep. The Minilab II as mentioned above is also a cool option. I tend to avoid the "little plastic slab" keyboards as they all have issues either with feature set or playability or both.

Tell me more, I'll advise more.

Dr. Mike Metlay (PhD in nuclear physics, golly gosh) :D

Musician, Author, Editor, Educator, Impresario, Online Radio Guy, Cut-Rate Polymath, and Kindly Pedant

Editor-in-Chief, Bjooks ~ Author of SYNTH GEMS 1

clicky!:  more about me ~ my radio station (and my fam) ~ my local tribe ~ my day job ~ my bookmy music

Thanks,

steadyb

Hi steadyb! Seems we keep tripping over each other here and there, hope you're doing well. :)

The jury is largely still out on those "clamp this dock to the iPad Pro and it gives you all kinds of ports" products; some folks love this one or hate that one for reliability or stability issues, etc. The reviews on MacWorld are less sucky than most, I recommend you check there.

As for interfaces, as mentioned before, any class compliant USB MIDI/Audio interface will work. My absolute favorite is the Novation AudioHub 2x4, which is a powered USB hub as well as a neat little backpackable interface, but you'll have to look for a used one as they've recently been discontinued. Works a treat. The other great option if you don't want something super heavy is the IK Multimedia iRig Pro I/O, which has MIDI I/O on DIN-to-minijack adapters, stereo out on minijack, AC power that charges the iPad (beware! other IK interfaces don't), and a Combo jack for XLR mic or 1/4" guitar input. Very handy.

To follow on Geoff's post: as someone who owns and uses two of them, I can say that for your purposes the iConnectivity interfaces are killing a fly with a sledgehammer. They're for people with really intricate setups that need to run two computers at once into one interface, and the tricks they perform to do that without crashing anything are pretty much rocket science...

Portable keyboards? Hoo boy, I could talk for hours, but it would help if I knew what you specifically needed and how much you wanted to spend. CME Xkey Air 25 is fabulous for the money; if you want a sustain pedal and DIN MIDI as an option, the wired (not Air) Xkey 37 is sweet (get the Solar case for it and its accessories). A bit more conventional but heavier is the Arturia KeyStep. The Minilab II as mentioned above is also a cool option. I tend to avoid the "little plastic slab" keyboards as they all have issues either with feature set or playability or both.

I'm so glad you mentioned the IK Multimedia iRig Pro I/O, that has been the one I was most leaning towards, but wanted to check in with the really smart folks here first. Thank you. Regarding a portable (for hotels, fit in a suitcase, etc.) keyboard, I want something just so I can keep practicing when traveling for work. Scales, reading, exercises...even if it has to be one hand at a time. Please, recommend away! :)

I'm so glad you mentioned the IK Multimedia iRig Pro I/O, that has been the one I was most leaning towards, but wanted to check in with the really smart folks here first. Thank you. Regarding a portable (for hotels, fit in a suitcase, etc.) keyboard, I want something just so I can keep practicing when traveling for work. Scales, reading, exercises...even if it has to be one hand at a time. Please, recommend away! :)

The main problem with the iRig Pro I/O is that when you have it all set up, it's sort of a cable octopus, with leads sticking out all over the place. Velcro cable wraps are your friends!

Also note that it's very finicky about power. You'll burn through a lot of batteries before you give up and buy the PSU 3A power supply, which is a dedicated model made by IK that uses a bizarre voltage and relatively unusual-size barrel connector... it's just easier to throw money at the problem than try to DIY something. I wish they included the wall wart with the thing, but hey, gotta keep costs down...

...and it just occurred to me, it doesn't come with a USB-C cable. The various cables included with it (Lightning, OTG Micro, USB-A) all share a multipin connector to the interface, so an off the shelf USB-C cable won't work...

As for the keyboard, thanks for the further data. If you're talking about practicing while traveling, you want something with keys reasonably close to conventional size. Fortunately the CME Xkey series is not too far off that, certainly closer than most travel keyboards. If you've never played one before, they're fascinating designs: the keys are individual sensors built into a frame that's basically a thin, rigid aluminum sheet, so it's light, sturdy, and pretty much the same size as the keys with no wasted space. They don't have a lot of travel, but for fingering practice and that sort of thing, they work very nicely.

Here's a thought, though... are you planning to have anything other than the keyboard hooked up to your little interface as you travel? In other words, is the keyboard the ONLY MIDI device you'll be using? If so, then Bluetooth wireless MIDI is your friend! Get an Xkey 25 or 37 Air, wirelessly connect it to your iPad Pro, and all you'll need is an audio hookup... any small stereo DAC with the right cable would work.

Depending on whether you worried about keeping the iPad charged as you played, you could use a headphone dongle, any USB audio interface with a headphone out, an ultraportable DAC interface like the Ultrasone NAOS, or my personal favorite: the Fulla Schiit, which is a stupid-great D/A for the money and would only need a USB-C to USB-Micro-B cable for audio hookup (and a USB-C to USB-A cable to plug into your iPad's wall charger if the iPad Pro won't power it). It won't keep your iPad charged, but it's cheap as dirt, sounds amazing, and is even smaller and more portable than the IK box. (The NAOS is also stupid-good, but only bus powered and a bit spendy, even though it does come with a USB-C cable...)

Sorry I am rambling, but I don't have a USB-C iPad so I am constantly second guessing my traditional solutions, which usually involve a Lightning hookup...

Musician, Author, Editor, Educator, Impresario, Online Radio Guy, Cut-Rate Polymath, and Kindly Pedant

clicky!:  more about me ~ my radio station (and my fam) ~ my local tribe ~ my day job ~ my bookmy music

anyone have a favorite small or portable keyboard for travel and hotel room practicing, writing (see above - reading, timing, etc., not necessarily full two handed piano practicing)?

1. Roland Go Piano (61) - light-weight, luggable, 61 full-sized but spring-loaded keys, I dislike the micro-USB connector but so far it's lasted 2 years.

2. Yamaha CP - my favorite travel piano, but only 37 mini keys. a big plus+ it fits in your check-in luggage or a large backpack, sounds great with small built-in speakers and whole bunch of MIDI & Audio connectors

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hey guys, I'm still trying to figure out the easiest workaround yet quality sounding setup for my iPad Pro USB-C. (live gigs)

I ran across this video, mostly about wireless midi (which seems a key part of the solution), and he's using what looks like a Presonus interface, but at the 5:20 mark he demonstrates just using a dongle adapter - USB-C to 3.5mm headphone jack, then runs that out to speakers (offscreen). Boy that seems a simple solution? Bypass the need for an audio interface? What am I missing on this one?

[video:youtube]

Some music I've recorded and played over the years with a few different bands

Tommy Rude Soundcloud

Hey guys, I'm still trying to figure out the easiest workaround yet quality sounding setup for my iPad Pro USB-C. (live gigs)

I ran across this video, mostly about wireless midi (which seems a key part of the solution), and he's using what looks like a Presonus interface, but at the 5:20 mark he demonstrates just using a dongle adapter - USB-C to 3.5mm headphone jack, then runs that out to speakers (offscreen).

Well, the USB-C to headphone jack IS an interface, although just the output part. That will get analog audio from the iPad to some other device, which could be a powered speaker. The sound quality may or may not be good enough for your application. Give it a try.

But before I go on, what's the role of the iPad in your setup? Are you playing back pre-recorded tracks? Are you using it as a signal processor for a guitar? Knowing what you're using the iPad audio output for might suggest a better solution.

I ran across this video, mostly about wireless midi (which seems a key part of the solution), and he's using what looks like a Presonus interface, but at the 5:20 mark he demonstrates just using a dongle adapter - USB-C to 3.5mm headphone jack, then runs that out to speakers (offscreen).

Well, the USB-C to headphone jack IS an interface, although just the output part. That will get analog audio from the iPad to some other device, which could be a powered speaker. The sound quality may or may not be good enough for your application. Give it a try.

But before I go on, what's the role of the iPad in your setup? Are you playing back pre-recorded tracks? Are you using it as a signal processor for a guitar? Knowing what you're using the iPad audio output for might suggest a better solution.

Using it for keys sound apps (NeoSoul, Korg, Raven, et al), triggered by my Nord Electro 6D.

Tommy Rude Soundcloud

Using it for keys sound apps (NeoSoul, Korg, Raven, et al), triggered by my Nord Electro 6D.

Dr. Mike (I'm just Intern Mike) will probably have a better answer than me since I know practically nothing about iPads, but as I understand it, the conventional signal chain for this sort of setup is with MIDI in USB format from the keyboard going into the iPad through the USB input. The app generates the sound, and (analog) audio comes out through the headphone jack, assuming there's a headphone jack. Using a wireless connection for MIDI will leave the USB port available so it can be used with the little adapter as a headphone jack where you'd get the audio to send to your speaker system.

For a little less haywire and better analog audio quality, I'd suggest using a class compliant (that means it'll work with iOS without a hitch) USB audio/MIDI interface. Connect the keyboard to the MIDI IN on the interface and connect the audio out of the interface to your speakers. The least expensive USB audio interfaces don't include MIDI, so you'd need to go a bit up-model to get that, probably $200 or so. Since Focusrite's recent release of the 3rd generation of their Scarlett series of interfaces, you might find a deal on a 2nd generation 4i4 which would do the job nicely. And you might discover some other things you can do with your iPad once you can get audio in and out of it - like process vocal mics or guitars in real time, for example.

Showing my ignorance of iOS devices, does a USB hub work with them? If so, you could connect one to its USB port, plug the USB output of your Korg to one input port on the hub and a headphone adapter or simple and inexpensive USB audio interface like a Behringer UCA202 for the audio output.

Without a doubt the technical and music reasons behind some of the design choices are in the idea that quality audio and good midi connections require an accurate sense of timing. The audio, when created in a synthesizer and rendered on the pad (or computer) over a digital connection will need to get re-sampled to account for small timing differences in audio clocks. That's possible, but depending on quality will require a little work for the CPU and a little conversion time, and it can be proven theoretically to never come out perfect. So that's a ground for wanting to mix analog, unless you could clock all audio with a central clock (usually the one driving the output DAC). Midi over Usb isn't entirely the same as original midi, which has to do with timing and small assumptions being made on what traffic patterns have which meaning, as well as that the original midi has a natural throughput limit which is much lower.

So "connecting it all up" is a nice idea but requires more work in order to achieve perfection, and the rest is probably a matter of new technology as in the latest interfaces, having other natural properties than the previous generations. Marketing at Apple probably doesn't have this application high on the priority list...

T.

Dr. Mike (I'm just Intern Mike) will probably have a better answer than me since I know practically nothing about iPads, but as I understand it, the conventional signal chain for this sort of setup is with MIDI in USB format from the keyboard going into the iPad through the USB input. The app generates the sound, and (analog) audio comes out through the headphone jack, assuming there's a headphone jack. Using a wireless connection for MIDI will leave the USB port available so it can be used with the little adapter as a headphone jack where you'd get the audio to send to your speaker system.

For a little less haywire and better analog audio quality, I'd suggest using a class compliant (that means it'll work with iOS without a hitch) USB audio/MIDI interface. Connect the keyboard to the MIDI IN on the interface and connect the audio out of the interface to your speakers. The least expensive USB audio interfaces don't include MIDI, so you'd need to go a bit up-model to get that, probably $200 or so. Since Focusrite's recent release of the 3rd generation of their Scarlett series of interfaces, you might find a deal on a 2nd generation 4i4 which would do the job nicely. And you might discover some other things you can do with your iPad once you can get audio in and out of it - like process vocal mics or guitars in real time, for example.

Showing my ignorance of iOS devices, does a USB hub work with them? If so, you could connect one to its USB port, plug the USB output of your Korg to one input port on the hub and a headphone adapter or simple and inexpensive USB audio interface like a Behringer UCA202 for the audio output.

thanks for your help intern Mike! I've got the wireless midi coming, and I might have another solution - running the iPad directly to my Key Largo - which has a USB-B input. I'll report back on if/how it works. I'm trying at all costs to minimize the number of devices, interfaces, cables for the easiest low-maint setup, without sacrificing any audio quality. I'm not asking for much am I? :roll:

Tommy Rude Soundcloud

Hey guys - update on my setup as described above. It works, EXCEPT - there is just a hint of latency, dang! :-( Just enough to be noticeable to me. On legato types of patches and parts, would be fine.

Details on setup:

Nord Electro 6D 73

iPad Pro 12.9 (with USB-C)

Radial Key Largo (with USB-B)

Yamaha MD-BT01 wireless midi (connect to Nord)

So while this is a pretty slick setup, and all the apps instantly recognized the Yamaha, the latency is a showstopper for me right now, and I don't think there's a better wireless midi device Next step - try an audio interface.

Tommy Rude Soundcloud

Hey guys - update on my setup as described above. It works, EXCEPT - there is just a hint of latency, dang! :-( Just enough to be noticeable to me. On legato types of patches and parts, would be fine.

Well, everything in your chain takes some time from the input to get to the output, and they add up. Check out how much difference you have without the wireless-MIDI converter. Since the Key Largo is an audio interface, MIDI interface, and keyboard mixer, try connecting the MIDI output of your keyboard to the MIDI input on the Key Largo, connect the Key Largo USB to the iPad, and connect the output of the Key Largo to your speakers. You should be able to get the output of the synth app to come back to the Key Largo's mixer via the USB knob.

Since the Key Largo is an audio interface

Dohhhhhh.... I am an idiot, and you are a genius! (some combo of both). I obviously wasn't connecting the dots on that one!

try connecting the MIDI output of your keyboard to the MIDI input on the Key Largo, connect the Key Largo USB to the iPad, and connect the output of the Key Largo to your speakers. You should be able to get the output of the synth app to come back to the Key Largo's mixer via the USB knob.

Completely works, with no latency, thank you sir! Just the one extra midi cable. That Yamaha wireless midi device was pretty cool, very small, and it worked - just that darn latency. Note - the USB knob on the KL works for both scenarios (wired midi and wireless midi). Thank you again Mike!

Tommy Rude Soundcloud

Glad that it worked out. Just don't forget to send me my royalty check when you cash in on your next big hit. ;)

And don't feel like an idiot - you're in good company. I've been trying for about 25 years now to teach people that if they understood the various forms of gozintas and gozoutas, they'd be able to figure out, without too much difficulty, how to put together systems that work.

Back in the day, before computers were an integral part of making music electronically, we had what was known as a "sound module" - a box that had a MIDI input on one side and an analog audio output on the other. Inside the box, you had the electronics that generated sounds, and the MIDI source told the electronics what note to play and when. Simple, as long as you weren't the one designing the guts of the sound module.

For your project, in essence you build the sound module from the iPad and software application - also pretty easy except for the gozintas and gozoutas, because what Apple provided you doesn't look like MIDI or audio connections. USB to the rescue with a box - the Key Largo, because it was handy - to get MIDI into your "virtual sound module" and back out in the form of analog audio. So - now you're the system engineer!

Hey Mike, in honor of the season, here's a 'spooky' thing. I plugged everything together, fired up an app (Korg module) on the iPad, started playing the Nord, looked at the iPad and noticed the Krog module was reacting correctly, except no sound. Looked down, the Key Largo had come unplugged (no power). But despite no power for the KL. the midi was working.

Reached down, plugged in the KL, audio cranking, all good! (I'm sure there is a simple explanation for this, but nice to go with the Halloween connection :-)

Tommy Rude Soundcloud

When things connect via USB, one of the things that they discuss between themselves is who needs power and how much. The iPad decided that it could power the USB interface part of the Key Largo, but that in order for the mixer to work, it needed its real power supply.

• 1 month later...

Hi folks, late to the party because of a loss in my family. Only just getting back online now. Tip of the hat and a big Thank You for "intern Mike" jumping in and helping out. Really glad that it's all working now, and glad that this forum is starting to build up a good and helpful community. You guys rock.

mike

• 2 months later...
I have the MOTU UltraLite AVB USB / AVB / iOS Interface. It"ll do anything you need.

I have one as well; for really light setups it's kind of overkill, but it's true that it's an absolute rock when I need one. Interestingly, I haven't done much with it on iOS; it's usually the anchor of my live setup when I am doing duo or trio work and streaming to the Internet on my radio station, and that involves my Mac...