Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

No more keyboards or synths

I didn"t want to go overboard. If i had the money, i would love to own an ARP2600, but I"ll wait until Behringer releases the version.

Behringer is also working on the UB-XA.

I almost jumped on a used Roland VK-09.

your thread tile is "No more keyboards or synths" and you are discussing what synths you want to buy. :nopity:

:nopity:

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

your thread tile is "No more keyboards or synths" and you are discussing what synths you want to buy. :nopity:

and this is different than the rest of us as far as... um... (I got this, gimme a minute) ... uh... sorry, drawing a blank. ð

I didn"t want to go overboard. If i had the money, i would love to own an ARP2600, but I"ll wait until Behringer releases the version.

Behringer is also working on the UB-XA.

I almost jumped on a used Roland VK-09.

Yea! Don"t try to make sense with me!

Some of the humor can certainly be due to nervous recognition that these conflicting thoughts and feelings are familiar to many of us!

Let"s see, what is the predominant one for me at any one time (you can choose more than one simultaneously):

1) i just know that purchasing XYZ will greatly advance my music.

2) I don"t care what I think, I want XYZ.

3) My purchase of XYZ detracts from actually working on my chops.

4) Even my research on the possibility of having XYZ detracts from my practicing.

5) Owning XYZ actually inspires me, leading to chops enhancement or song development.

6) XYZ is the last one. (My GF rolls her eyes)

7) I"m gonna sell everything except my AP (GF asks if I will be practicing scales and 2 measures of same song while she is home)

8) I think I have all the equipment I need, no need to buy anything now, and I"m feeling a little empty inside.

9) I"m selling everything and getting out of music. (GF is genuinely concerned)

10) I"ll just buy the new ABC because it replaces all the stuff I sold in a much simpler format. One will be enough.

Rinse and repeat.

Barry

Home: Steinway L, Montage 8

Gigs: Yamaha CP88, Crumar Mojo 61, A&H SQ5 mixer, ME1 IEM, MiPro 909 IEMs

When I bought my SP6 it was:

1) I really don't like many of the sounds on the MOX8. The Wurli and Organ especially and I thought the piano sounded dull.

2) The MOX8 was awkward to carry due to its size. The SP6 was lighter and much easier to carry.

3) Me and the interface on the the MOX8 just didn't get along. It was a bit over complicated.

4) I previously owned an SP4-7 and loved the sounds on it except for the triple strike pianos which are not the same ones on the SP6.

5) I wanted the SP6 and could afford it especially since I was able to sell the MOX8 for about half the cost of the SP6.

Boards: Kurzweil SP-6, Roland FA-08, VR-09, DeepMind 12

Modules: Korg Radias, Roland D-05, Bk7-m & Sonic Cell

In some ways I'm at the opposite end of Paul's dilemma -- two years ago, having become bored with playing in classic rock bands, I decided to go big into synths, with no real idea what there was or what I needed -- so I bought anything that seemed interesting and wasn't too expensive.** - Now I have no room for more ... and yet, I almost bought another one today (look, an *Amaze-a-tron XYZ-100* at a reasonable price! Who knows when that will happen again??!)

And yet, I totally support the attitude of 'no more synths' simplicity -- any time I sit down with just one synth and focus on discovering more of what it can do, it's like getting it new all over again. If I couldn't afford that synth I didn't buy today, I'd be more motivated to figure out how to get its sounds from something I already have. Or at least different sounds than I got from it before.

Meanwhile, 95% of my practicing is just piano, because it's embarrassing to be seen playing keys, and then demur when someone asks me to play piano.

**Just a word of warning for those thinking of doing the same -- there is really no such thing as "not really expensive", unless you stockpile them in a closet. If they're actually going to be hooked up and ready to use, every item requires physical support (table / shelf / rack space), electrical support (power outlet / conditioner / etc), sundry connections (cables for sound and/or MIDI), a channel or two on the mixer (which also requires power), maybe a sustain pedal, and some kind of dust cover ... which means approx $150 - $200 in ancillary cost for each additional synth -- not counting repairs ...

It's not the gear, it's the player ... but hey, look -- new gear!

My dilemma is I want them all! Actually, i really have no idea what i want? I bought the Casio hoping to play the piano :roll: Bought the MicroBrute because it was cheap, but don"t know what to do with a mono synth, besides make wired noises. Bought a KeyStep, because i thought i would buy a model D. But a DrumBrute, not knowing how to program a drum machine. The Theremin, well that was a gift from my mother.

Sawbench cool little box synth, to just make noise, works with my SQ-1, that I originally bought for my MS-20 mini used, that died. A farfisa combo, it was cheap at $75.00. But $550.00 for repairs.

Long story short, i have wasted money on various synths and keyboards, for no good reason.

I don"t play, and most likely never will. So basically there was no point in anything i did!

This is just a complete waste of time, and money.

I"lol show myself out!

Peace! :wave::abduct:

Paul, do what you need, but you can hang around at KC as much as you need to. Look at it this way: your synth journey has taught you something about yourself that you didn't originally know - and that's valuable.

I remember an early post of yours where you said you enjoyed playing your Casio DP? Try building on that. Practice sight-reading/playing by ear/improving your time with a metronome/improvising/transposing at sight - anything really. Find out what you're good at, and what you like. Music isn't a competition, and you're not out to impress anyone.

Cheers, Mike.

Also Paul, I think you're too hard on yourself. There's nothing really wrong with exploring what you might be interested in. It seems like you have some interest in making music, but you might need to figure out what motivates you.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Also Paul, I think you're too hard on yourself. There's nothing really wrong with exploring what you might be interested in. It seems like you have some interest in making music, but you might need to figure out what motivates you.

Nothing!

I know the feeling. Generation X?

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Nothing!

I know the feeling. Generation X?

Yup!