Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

GigPerformer 3: lower volume, different timbre than DAW

This is a question for any users of GigPerformer 3.

I have noticed than when I create a new .gig file and add a VST (Keyscape in particular), the sound levels are significantly lower and the timbre sounds not quite the same as when I load the same plug in into Studio One.

In both cases, I am not altering any volume levels on input or output. Sample rate is set to 44.1k and my interface (Babyface Pro) is set to 64 samples. So no differences in configuration that I can tell.

Any ideas why I would get different results in GP3 vs Studio One?

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

None at all. I don't notice this. Is something turned down in Keyscape? There's the main volume, the patch volume, and the multi-mixer page, all of which can screw with levels. Kind of a long shot, but just thinking out loud. There's no reason the 1's and 0's should sound different in any DAW or hosting platform unless there's settings different.

Thats the very first time I heard someone that had a similar experience to what I had when I first bought Forte.

I already had Bidule and it was working fine, but always wanting to try something especially because it looked like rack fx.

Forte just shrank the sound like it was in a smaller tunnel.

Just converting from an all hardware rig to software as soon as I ran into a problem with anything, I tossed it.

On Northern Sounds gigastudio thread I tried to explain things and none of us understood why?

I was using Scope DSP Pro cards, they sounded great in Cubase, Bidule and Reaper.

For years I often wondered what the hell that was. Didn't matter since I have several hosts.

I have now found closure....

Magnus C350 + FMR RNP + Realistic Unisphere Mic

Thanks for the suggestions. As best I can tell, all Keyscape settings are the same in both GP3 and Studio One, but I will keep looking.

I get lower volumes using other VSTs also, but Keyscape sounds the most dramatically different.

This problem seems to have developed recently, possibly when I did a software update of GP3 a while back. I will check their forums also for any hints.

• 1 month later...

Just a quick update on my problem a while back of lower VST volumes in GP3 vs. Studio One:

It turns out my controller was sending all MIDI messages on two channels simultaneously. GP and Studio One apparently handle this situation differently, resulting in volume differences. Once I eliminated the duplicate MIDI, the problem went away. So yes, it was user error.

(Provided the update on the off chance anyone ever encounters something similar.)

Just a quick update on my problem a while back of lower VST volumes in GP3 vs. Studio One:

It turns out my controller was sending all MIDI messages on two channels simultaneously. GP and Studio One apparently handle this situation differently, resulting in volume differences. Once I eliminated the duplicate MIDI, the problem went away. So yes, it was user error.

(Provided the update on the off chance anyone ever encounters something similar.)

Hey Steve,

Thank you for that. I had not encountered the issue you had, but I will file this away in case I ever do.

David

Gig Rig:Casio Privia PX-5S | Yamaha MODX+ 6 | MacBook Pro 14" M1| Mainstage