Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

MODX 2.0 and MONTAGE 3.0 OS updates

Fleer

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, I would expect it to work as well. If it can recognize MIDI from an attached keyboard, why not from other attached MIDI control devices? A cc is a cc. Unless maybe it's a power issue.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

• 1 month later...

I wanted to see how far 2.0 took the MODX SEQ in standalone.

MODX cannot record/convert MODX songs/sequences as internal wav files.

MODX does record live playing - into MODX song file format. Or a midi file.

IOW, it does not have 'audio in sampling ' that Kronos SEQ has.

In my Korg SEQ song work flow, I will typically go thru 4 or more 'takes' [ convert SNG file to WAV] to get my final mix down to my liking.

All those WAV file takes are recorded to SSD.

For MODX songs, mix downs have to be recorded to Cubase. And tweaked or fixed from there.

Above is not surprising- MODX was never designed to be a full w/s.

From what I gather, I can do my various measure edits, midi track edits, instrumentation tweaks in MODX Seq.

Also , Performances can only be used in SEQ midi tracks 1-8. Parts or instrument parts are for midi tracks 9-16.

As Performances have a lot of variation , rolling 8 of them into a Song seems strong.

How things are organized or how far you can go on 16 midi tracks is something to get used to.

Why fit in, when you were born to stand out ?

My Soundcloud with many originals:

[70's Songwriter]

I have to do this a lot adapting Korg arrangers to my touch/playing style. Way too dynamic... For me the first issue is basses that I'll use for LH Bass. I don't want to have to play really hard on a synth action to get to a medium level and higher.

You could just put a compressor on a sound, but editing the velocity control over the amp level is the best approach/usual culprit. Find that parameter and lessen the amount of velocity control. Note that this may have an effect on the sound tonally as well, since velocity can also be routed to filter cutoff, or to the envelope amount that is controlling the filter. So that may need to be adjusted to taste as well.

Jerry

Yeah, I haven't noticed that.

I do need to go in and make a lot of the patches I use less dynamic...for live use, with the combo of my fingers + that keybed at least, I'm having a hard time controlling volume on many patches.

Hit softly...can barely hear anything.

Hit a little harder, it's a little louder.

Hit pretty hard, but not that much harder than before: REALLY, REALLY LOUD! Piano and strings are the main ones I've been having issues with.

Velocity curves, or a low limit on velocities (not a threshold to avoid playing the sound, but more of a "change to say 80 if it's any lower than 80--if this is possible) is what I'll first look at.

By contrast, I had more control when using my Virus or my Pc361--but those are top-of-the-line keybeds, plus different programming.

----

Speaking of midi in via usb--is there any chance something like a Korg nanoKontrol would actually work with the Modx? It's unpowered. Man, being able to use all those controls (provided I could map them, not sure what they send out) would be awesome. I'm guessing this wouldn't work. I use it now with Logic Pro to control transport controls and synth parameters.

I do need to go in and make a lot of the patches I use less dynamic...for live use, with the combo of my fingers + that keybed at least, I'm having a hard time controlling volume on many patches.

Hit pretty hard, but not that much harder than before: REALLY, REALLY LOUD!

I have to do this a lot adapting Korg arrangers to my touch/playing style. Way too dynamic...

Which Korg arranger? I find the PA1000, while not among my favorites for this, isn't too bad, either. Better than the MODX6/7. I can play piano better on the Korg than the Yamaha. Though as non-hammer actions go, some of the Fara-based models are better than either, to me.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

I tried using the nano control and I think it expected to be plugged into a computer, not directly into the keyboard. Maybe I didn"t do it right.

That's suprising. I thought this was pretty much exactly what the USB MIDI host feature was for.

Yes, I would expect it to work as well. If it can recognize MIDI from an attached keyboard, why not from other attached MIDI control devices? A cc is a cc. Unless maybe it's a power issue.

the Nano Control is less than 100ma. Well within the specs Yamaha designed for that USB connection.

Coker: When you plug in the nanoKontrol do you place it in cc mode? hold the Set Marker and Cycle buttons while plugging in the nanoKontrol. This places it in CC mode.

You will probably have to use Korg's editor software to assign the desired CC#'s to the various controls on the nano.

David

Gig Rig:Casio Privia PX-5S | Yamaha MODX+ 6 | MacBook Pro 14" M1| Mainstage

I need to do this update and try out my own nanoKontrol, it's an older one so not sure it will work even if the newer one does. I'm actually more interested in having the nano control an ipad, that could make it easier or harder (most ipad synths have a learn mode, so if the nano is putting out any cc it doesn't really matter which....)

Hit pretty hard, but not that much harder than before: REALLY, REALLY LOUD!

I have to do this a lot adapting Korg arrangers to my touch/playing style. Way too dynamic...

Which Korg arranger? I find the PA1000, while not among my favorites for this, isn't too bad, either. Better than the MODX6/7. I can play piano better on the Korg than the Yamaha. Though as non-hammer actions go, some of the Fara-based models are better than either, to me.

Well my first was the Pa900, where I had to redo all the basses to make them less dynamic. But that board has a godawful keyboard that is no pleasure to play on. Luckily back then I used it for LH bass and Acc and used my Casio PX5S for my piano/EP's etc.

But now I use a Pa4-X and for the duo gigs I use it on it is the only board I play, so I have to play all my sounds from it. It has a great-feeling keyboard, but I needed to do the same reduction of velocity to allow me to play my basses with less force and still get a decent amount of sound. When playing LH bass lines who needs much dynamics? You want a steady sound, and I like to play relaxed. But playing solo piano on it I found that when I lightened up a bit more the sound really went soft, and it was hard to control the next range of dynamics up to a mf level. Again, reducing Vel to Amp worked exactly as I needed.

Above is not surprising- MODX was never designed to be a full w/s.

Agreed. IMO, Yamaha added a scratch sequencer for gigging musos more than a music production tool. :cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

• 3 weeks later...
"The first MODX was too big. The second MODX was too small. The third MODX was just the right size, and Goldilocks loved the combination of compass and light weight"

Cheers, Mike.

funny.

I understand defects. I am not much for 'try as you go' with key size.

Fortunately, retailers are good with exchanges if done promptly.

I would almost bet that any early Key bed defects have been solved by Yamaha.

Why fit in, when you were born to stand out ?

My Soundcloud with many originals:

[70's Songwriter]

I hope so too. Asked for a model with v2.0 included. We"ll see how it goes. Actually I don"t like taking back hardware at all. Too much of a hassle. When there"s only a tiny problem, I prefer to hang onto the instrument. One of my Vox Continentals has a key lacking some felt, but I prefer to keep that sweet Vox than taking it back.

As for my MODX saga, I guess I was just unlucky.

Let"s hope the MODX7 will run fine.

Speaking of arrangers, the Genos also got a huge update:

https://usa.yamaha.com/products/musical_instruments/keyboards/arranger_workstations/genos/update.html#product-tabs

Here is great article about the guts of MODx

Inside ModX

Same guy:

Inside Montage

Genos Inside part 1

Genos inside part 2

Although I have plenty to play with at the moment, I do lust after a genos, and will probably find one this winter. I nearly bought a ModX and more recently a fantom, but I calmed down and pre-ordered a Osmose ;)

RT-3/U-121/Leslie 21H and 760/Saltarelle Nuage/MOXF6/MIDIhub, 

SL-880/Nektar T4/Numa Cx2/Deepmind12/Virus TI 61/SL61 mk2

Stylophone R8/Behringer RD-8/Proteus 1/MP-7/Zynthian 4

MPC1k/JV1010/Unitor 8/Model D & 2600/WX-5&7/VL70m/DMP-18 Pedals

Natal drums/congas etc & misc bowed/plucked/blown instruments. 

I hope so too. Asked for a model with v2.0 included. We"ll see how it goes. Actually I don"t like taking back hardware at all. Too much of a hassle. When there"s only a tiny problem, I prefer to hang onto the instrument. One of my Vox Continentals has a key lacking some felt, but I prefer to keep that sweet Vox than taking it back.

As for my MODX saga, I guess I was just unlucky.

Let"s hope the MODX7 will run fine.

I"d be surprised if inventory already has v2 loaded. Yamaha tends to be slow at that due to logistics timelines etc. Always nice to have a clean unused keyboard to install an update in before you"ve done anything though.

The baiting I do is purely for entertainment value. Please feel free to ignore it.

• 7 months later...

Montage OS 3.5 Smart Morph feature for the FM-X engine, as well as a number of other features including:

New Performances have been added.

The Smart Morph function has been added.

New functions have been added to the Pattern Sequencer.

MODX files can now be imported.

Controllability and playability have been improved.

*Add parts during record

*Realtime overdub controller data

*Improved erase event job

*Improved get phrase job

*Improved normalize play FX

*New pattern chain play

*Undo/redo on any page

[video:youtube]

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560