Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Finally joined the SK-1 Club (oh, and, um,.... hi!)

Hey all!

Only long-timers here will remember me. I seem to have tried to rejoin the conversation a couple of times, but I haven't been a regular participant here since something like 2012.

I've been watching the threads go by, and it appears to be the same amazingly cool place it always was, only with a bunch of names I don't recognize, haha.

I finally replaced my Hammond XK-3c with an SK-1, and I thought it would be polite to say "hello again" before I started asking folks about patches, and smaller/lighter two-tier stands, and posting replaced keyboards for sale in Garage Sale. (And yes, I intend to do all of those things.)

So, um...."hi!" It's been a long time. Hope you guys are well. Life is good here in the Bay, still gigging, and not as much as I used to, which is by design.

--Dave

Make my funk the P-funk.

I wants to get funked up.

My Funk/Jam originals project: http://www.thefunkery.com/

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The SK1 has been around so long, I wonder if Hammond is working on an update (not what a new purchaser wants to hear, I know). That the recently issued SKX has basically the same engine suggests no. It would be nice to have better non-Hammond sounds, especially the AP, but Hammond doesn't seem too interested in pursuing that.

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

K&M 18880 + 18881 stacker is super-light two-tier, and sets up fast.

If you prefer a 2nd tier that is adjustable for tilt/angle, the part number is 18882.

Muzikteechur is Lonnie, in Kittery, Maine.

HS music teacher: Concert Band, Marching Band, Jazz Band, Chorus, Music Theory, AP Music Theory, History of Rock, Musical Theatre, Piano, Guitar, Drama.

K&M 18880 + 18881 stacker is super-light two-tier, and sets up fast.

If you prefer a 2nd tier that is adjustable for tilt/angle, the part number is 18882.

+1 on the K&M 18880. Actually, both the 18881 and 18882 are adjustable for angle. I have the 18881 stacker. The 18882 stacker includes an adapter to add a third tier. The biggest issue for me is the protrusion of the second tier over the bottom keyboard. Wish it was about 2" shorter. I end up raising the second tier higher and angling it downward to offer more open key area on the bottom board. Some turn the second tier around and/or drill holes to bring the tiers closer together.

All-in-all, I'm totally satisfied for my one-board stage rig with a Nord Stage 3-88 (42 lb. + 5lb. for the brackets for the Nord legs which I leave on), although I'll use the second tier at home when I'm not programming patches on the bottom board. I set it up with the supports 18" apart. Super light, quick setup, sturdy, virtually invisible on stage.

Nord Stage 3 HA88, Nord Stage 3 Compact, Casio CT-S1, Radial Key Largo, Westone AM Pro 30, Rolls PM55P, K&M 18880 + 18881, Bose S1 Pro, JBL 305p MKII, Zoom Q2n-4K

The biggest issue for me is the protrusion of the second tier over the bottom keyboard. Wish it was about 2" shorter. I end up raising the second tier higher and angling it downward to offer more open key area on the bottom board. Some turn the second tier around and/or drill holes to bring the tiers closer together.

You can also trim a couple of inches off the protrusion. It's aluminum, so it cuts easily.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

The biggest issue for me is the protrusion of the second tier over the bottom keyboard. Wish it was about 2" shorter. I end up raising the second tier higher and angling it downward to offer more open key area on the bottom board. Some turn the second tier around and/or drill holes to bring the tiers closer together.

You can also trim a couple of inches off the protrusion. It's aluminum, so it cuts easily.

Well, first of all, I would be remiss if I posted yet again without acknowledging the OP, so "Hi Dave" - it looks like I joined after you took your sabbatical but it's nice to meet you!

AnotherScott - thanks, I'll probably wind up trying that after I finalize what my top board will be to make sure I don't need the full depth of the arm. One cut and a new hole for the pin for each arm should do the trick.

Nord Stage 3 HA88, Nord Stage 3 Compact, Casio CT-S1, Radial Key Largo, Westone AM Pro 30, Rolls PM55P, K&M 18880 + 18881, Bose S1 Pro, JBL 305p MKII, Zoom Q2n-4K