Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

SFJazz and vintage keyboards.

Went to see Brian Blade and his Life Cycles project doing a tribute to Bobby Hutcherson on Saturday. There was a Rhodes on stage and I was looking forward to hearing it in conjunction with the vibes. On the first song Jon Cowherd went to play it, there was much crackle over the sound and he just bopped back to the grand piano and went on with the song. Someone came out to try and fix it, but they just bailed on using it for the show. Performance was top notch and this was a totally minor thing, but it would have sounded wonderful.

A year or two ago I saw Joey DeFrancesco have a very unhappy experience with a B3 there. Is it really his hard to backline working versions of these keyboards now? For the Rhodes, I'd expect a Vintage Vibe to be a serviceable substitute.

-Z-

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The stage manger is prone to that sort of foul up.

Find 660 of my jazz piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book."

I was practicing on my 1968 console Hammond organ which I have not touched in a year and recorded my practice on my zoom camera , and even though my playing was pretty sloppy , the organ really sounded nice , so I have a 1982 Suitcase Rhodes with the plastic keys that no one likes and I decided to fiddle with it and was wondering how much vintage vibe would charge me to overhaul it so I called and asked if would cost me an arm and a leg to get it worked on since I saw they had a suitcase Rhodes for sale for over $8000 and his reply was not actually an arm and a leg ,so I decided since they sell parts I would try and figure out what my Rhodes needs which I do not think is in that bad of shape and work on it myself .There was someone on the keyboard forums that overhauled his own Rhodes but I never heard the results on how it turned out .

. Is it really his hard to backline working versions of these keyboards now?

Must be

The last 3 times I saw Joey, he was playing a Viscount Legend. The time before that, he was playing Cory Henry's hot rodded B3, he mentioned on stage that it was better than the one that was backlined for him (Cory opened for Joey).

:nopity: