Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Favorite rack cabling?

I'm building a new stage rack and wonder what everybody's favorite cable is for internal wiring. I've always just scavenged from what I had laying around. I'm thinking to avoid foil shielding because the rack is mobile, and I don't want fat heavy rubber sleeving or braid that solders poorly.

I would think Belden makes something suitable?

Moe

---

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I like Lake Cable a lot, either AVB221A or AVB241A. Sounds fantastic. Anything Belden or Canare would be acceptable, too. I think for internal rack wiring, foil shielding will be fine. The rack will shield the cable from any abuse, just make sure to use appropriate strain relief. If it has rear rails, you might consider using lacing bars like the Middle Atlantic LBP-1A or LBP-2A.

I just take measurements and send it to Pro Audio LA.

DB25, TS, TRS, CV, XLR all with proper angled connectors and 360 rotation.

Same with 18 AWG PSU Cabling.

They also made me an 8 Channel Custom MIDI where the fantail lengths for each cable slightly different.

Wish I could make my own but patience eludes me.

I fast forward when I binge watch Streaming Channels.

Magnus C350 + FMR RNP + Realistic Unisphere Mic

Canare's the most reliable, and star-quad is arguably the best quality on the market. But I use Mogami for rack connections just because I'm not allowed to have a soldering iron (it's a common lease clause due to "fire risk"), but that'll change now that I'm finally becoming a home-owner. I feel that Mogami reliability has gone downhill a bit over the years, but it's still good quality if you get the right gauge (similar to star-quad), but be careful with third-party OEM as they often substitute inferior connectors. Not an issue for those who are set up at home to work with bulk cable and solder their own connectors (Neutrik or whoever).

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

Canare it shall be then.

I need to shed all the bulk I can. I am attempting to cram a Radial KL-8, Roland XV-2020, Boss VF-1, Vent II, 5 wall warts, power distribution, and a rear jack panel with strain reliefs into a shallow 3 space SKB. It's going to be practically a solid mass inside.

Moe

---

For instrument and mic cables I like Canare GS-6 because the jacket is not rubber. It doesn"t get stiff in cold weather and is relatively low capacitance. And it comes in lots of colors which can be useful.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

Sometimes rack devices can share a single power supplyâusing inexpensive splitter cables. (depends on voltage range of each device and the total amperage draw all connected devices). For example, I have three IEM transmitters connected to a single PS and two wireless mic receivers connected to another PS, and both PS are the stock units that came with the devices.

Barry

Home: Steinway L, Montage 8

Gigs: Yamaha CP88, Crumar Mojo 61, A&H SQ5 mixer, ME1 IEM, MiPro 909 IEMs