Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

"This staccato is legato" Huh?

Thanks, Marino -- that was very educational.

In terms of piano music, does this mean that the rare staccato pedal (available in Pianoteq, and a few "real pianos") would be the ideal way to play those parts?

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks, Marino -- that was very educational.

In terms of piano music, does this mean that the rare staccato pedal (available in Pianoteq, and a few "real pianos") would be the ideal way to play those parts?

Staccato pedal?! I know three pedals: Sustain, Soft and Sostenuto. Maybe you mean the Sostenuto pedal (the center pedal on grand pianos), which only sustains the notes being played, and not the subsequent ones? In this case, the answer is no, simply because it's an invention of the late 19th century, so only the 'modern' composers and editors knew about it.

Nope, I mean the staccato pedal. Very few pianos have them. They are almost the opposite of a sostenuto pedal. I can't remember off-hand which pianos had them, and/or whether any composers specifically wrote for them.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

Nope, I mean the staccato pedal. Very few pianos have them. They are almost the opposite of a sostenuto pedal. I can't remember off-hand which pianos had them, and/or whether any composers specifically wrote for them.

Well, now you got me interested. In more than 50 years of piano playing, I have never heard of the Staccato pedal. I don't have Pianoteq, and certainly I have never seen one on an acoustic piano. I also googled (quickly), but found nothing about it. So what does it do?

I think myself, I would cut off the third note of each group of three shorter than the others and slightly emphasis the first of the group of three to try and convey the sense that these are groups of three. Looks like fun!

In a case like this I would most definitely cheat and listen to a recording - or preferably several different recordings - of other people playing it, rather than trying to sort it out from the notation.

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.

-Mark Twain

I think myself, I would cut off the third note of each group of three shorter than the others and slightly emphasis the first of the group of three to try and convey the sense that these are groups of three. Looks like fun!

In a case like this I would most definitely cheat and listen to a recording - or preferably several different recordings - of other people playing it, rather than trying to sort it out from the notation.

Why not just listen to the original recording to hear Bach himself and what he intended??? Sheesh. :Python::stooges::hugegrin:

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

I'll have to look up the staccato pedal reference a bit later; I am at the VERY close of escrow on my first-ever home purchase today.

It might be documented at the Pianoteq website, in terms of an historical reference. Probably it was discussed here as well, or maybe at PianoWorld.