Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Dig My Rig--Let's see your setup!

I just want to say this is my favorite thread on this forum. It's not the most informative, and occasionally it's financially dangerous, but I just love it.

Occasionally financially dangerous? Always dangerous LOL

"Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

noblevibes.com

I posted a few weeks ago while making the decision about whether to go with a laptop-based rig, or a workstation based rig. I settled on a laptop based rig, as you can see in the picture. I wanted a weighted piano action on bottom and something for synth on top. I didn't have an 88 note weighted board in the arsenal, so I purchased the Nord Grand for that duty. (Notes in the appropriate thread). I pulled the VAX77 off my composing desk as it is perfect for synths. It has a lightweight action that is loads better than any typical synth action, AND it has poly-AT. I've had this a number of years. The fact that it folds in half for transport always amazes bandmates. I love that it ends on A like a piano, and not E or F like a lot of 76/73 note boards. My OB-6 because: 1) it sounds great, 2) is super easy to manipulate live, and 3) it is very compact. So, while most sounds come from the computer, I have fat analog Oberheim-filter goodness in the OB-6 and piano sounds in the Nord Grand. If I need a smaller rig, I can take the Nord Grand alone, or Nord + OB-6. On the MBP, I have all the everything... Omnisphere, Falcon, the U-He stuff, Ravenscroft piano, VB3-II, etc. Its a wealth of excellence and sounds great.

The SKB 3RU rack on the floor has my RME UCX, a Furman power conditioner and a USB-3 hub in it, along with power for my MacBook Pro.

The stand is made from Gibraltar parts. I use their rack system for my drum set, and keyboard stands. The stand is set up for seated playing, and is rock solid. The Nord Grand is as stable as my RX-7 acoustic grand. Nothing moves. Release a couple clamps and it splits into two flat sections for easy transport. Memory locks mean that it always goes back together EXACTLY the same.

In use, the Nord Grand is wonderful in this rig. If I deselect the piano section, it no longer puts out sound, but does send MIDI. So, I can have a pad sound from the computer and flick the piano on and off with a button. Nice. Layers and splits are all done in Gig Performer on the MBP. The keyboards are just keyboards. I may add some faders or knobs via USB, but this is the core rig.

I am very happy to have a dedicated live rig that doesn't involve pulling stuff off desks and stands in the studio. This way I can practice specifically on the configuration that I will use out of the studio.

235.thumb.jpg.e3b35b8c38e6fbcafade1e570ad6905b.jpg

Had to wait until the Voyager was home from being serviced to take the family portrait. I think I'm done buying stuff. Or at least that's what I told my wife.

2P9Rpca.jpg

9 Moog things, 3 Roland things, 2 Hammond things and a computer with stuff on it

Had to wait until the Voyager was home from being serviced to take the family portrait. I think I'm done buying stuff. Or at least that's what I told my wife.

2P9Rpca.jpg

Voyager SE! I have one of those. Early ones are easier to service because the ICs are socketed. The Slew Rate modification makes it sound more vintage.

So how are you liking that Moog One? I have played it several times briefly but haven't warmed up to it yet...!?

So how are you liking that Moog One? I have played it several times briefly but haven't warmed up to it yet...!?

Let me respond to that in a One thread. I don't want to totally hijack this one and the answer is nuanced.

9 Moog things, 3 Roland things, 2 Hammond things and a computer with stuff on it

• 1 month later...
I thought that might be of relevance to the forum :D Gig rig today: Nord Stage 3 in to Roland KC. The band brought the KC, I came to the gig by foot. It actually sounded fine, I used it as a monitor about 3 inches away from my head.

330.thumb.jpg.1d05120a629e9c141e8aa9c1e7a7acbe.jpg

It's not a clone, it's a Suzuki.

• 3 weeks later...
Keys aplenty.

370.thumb.jpg.b2e3357b04886aaa4740c8d6cc8cd2a1.jpg

Hardware

Yamaha MODX7, DX7, PSR-530, SY77/Korg TR-Rack, 01/W Pro X, Trinity Pro X, Karma/Ensoniq ESQ-1, VFX-SD

Behringer DeepMind12, Model D, Odyssey, 2600/Roland RD-1000/Arturia Keylab MKII 61

Software

Studio One/V Collection 9/Korg Collection 4/Cherry Audio/UVI SonicPass/EW Composer Cloud/Omnisphere, Stylus RMX, Trilian/IK Total Studio 3.5 MAX/Roland Cloud

• 4 weeks later...
Adding to the compliments on that setup... very nice, and, for me at least, very high WAF!

Can I trouble you to provide some details on the furniture? Brand, models, sources, etc.?

Sure. The desk is a Zaor Miza 88 XL I don't know much about furniture, but this seems to be very well made. The tray is very sturdy, though I do need the mats on the floor for it to slide easily. I recently moved, so I had to disassemble and reassemble it completely. It came back together perfectly.

They are pricey (to me), but I was able to find a good deal on one on Ebay.

The rack is a Miza Rack 12 Mk II

No audio mixing console?

No mixer. I have everything routed to the Focusrite and Octopre. I can do everything completely without a computer, though I only have one input left. I really don't know much about mixers, but don't see a need for one yet.

That is one of the best-looking setups I've seen. Space-efficient and lots of power.

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76, PC4 (88) | Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments