Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

NOLA in early December

Taking my son to New Orleans. He actually chose it over Vegas.

I didn"t have time to take in the WWII Museum a few years ago, so we"ll do that.

Any suggestions for food, music, other things to do? I like getting a bit off the beaten path some, so any interesting neighborhoods or attractions might be fun.

Thanks.

aka âmisterdregsâ

Nord Electro 5D 73

Yamaha P105

Kurzweil PC3LE7

Motion Sound KP200S

Schimmel 6-10LE

QSC CP-12

Westone AM Pro 30 IEMs

Rolls PM55P

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The opposite end of the French Quarter just past Esplanade Ave. is somewhat less touristy, has all of the local flavor (both cultural and food), and is actually a bit cheaper for accommodations. The French Quarter is right there, lots to see, do and eat. We stayed at the Royal Frenchman hotel (at the corner of, you guessed it- Royal and Frenchman streets) recently and had a great time. And yeah, I would definitely choose NOLA over Vegas, though both have their charms...

If I recall, the Royal Frenchman didn"t have any rooms available with two beds other than a suite with a sofa bed.

Great-looking hotel, though. Found what looks like a good deal at the French Market Inn which is toward that end of the Quarter.

aka âmisterdregsâ

Nord Electro 5D 73

Yamaha P105

Kurzweil PC3LE7

Motion Sound KP200S

Schimmel 6-10LE

QSC CP-12

Westone AM Pro 30 IEMs

Rolls PM55P

I looked back at some of the old posts. Lots of good suggestions.

I"m hoping to get the piano lesson for supporting Jon Cleary"s last crowd sourcing effort. We almost did it in Nashville some time ago, but he was battling a GI bug and from his Facebook post barely managed to play the show.

Is a Preservation Hall show worth doing? Reserved seats are $40-50 for a 45 minute set. On a per-minute cost, that"s like going to see McCartney or Springsteen!

aka âmisterdregsâ

Nord Electro 5D 73

Yamaha P105

Kurzweil PC3LE7

Motion Sound KP200S

Schimmel 6-10LE

QSC CP-12

Westone AM Pro 30 IEMs

Rolls PM55P

I also want to give specific shoutouts to George Porter Jr's trio (with Mike Lemmler and Terrence Houston) on Monday nights at the Maple Leaf and Cleary's Chickie Wah-Wah Tuesday night solo gig. Two of my favourite experiences there, and two of the few that I made a point of going back several times.

Also, beignets, red beans and rice, po'boys, and snowballs. Have a look at the WWOZ calendar for some more help with shows and venues.

I also want to give specific shoutouts to George Porter Jr's trio (with Mike Lemmler and Terrence Houston) on Monday nights at the Maple Leaf and Cleary's Chickie Wah-Wah Tuesday night solo gig. Two of my favourite experiences there, and two of the few that I made a point of going back several times.

Also, beignets, red beans and rice, po'boys, and snowballs. Have a look at the WWOZ calendar for some more help with shows and venues.

I"m hoping Jon Cleary is town sometime between Thursday afternoon and Saturday. We leave mid-morning on Sunday.

I was a bit surprised that my picky-eater, EDM-producing 22 year old was up for NOLA! Maybe I"ll broaden his taste in food and music. I can"t think of many other reasons to visit.

aka âmisterdregsâ

Nord Electro 5D 73

Yamaha P105

Kurzweil PC3LE7

Motion Sound KP200S

Schimmel 6-10LE

QSC CP-12

Westone AM Pro 30 IEMs

Rolls PM55P

food and music. I can"t think of many other reasons to visit.
Those are enough for me.

Check Josh Paxton's Facebook page when you're there.

Also check the WWOZ calendar.

There might be some free music events in the park.

Visit the music clubs on Frenchman Street

You could visit a cemetery.

Take a tour of the Garden District.

Ride the streetcar.

See Fats Domino's house in the 9th ward.

I have no idea what would interest an EDM-producing 22-year-old.

Personally, I'd pass on the Preservation Hall show. I also don't care much about beignets or red beans and rice. But some places have oysters for a buck a piece, sometimes only at happy hour, and I consider that next to heaven.

These are only my opinions, not supported by any actual knowledge, experience, or expertise.

When you're there in December, check the web site for Tuba Skinny to see if they're playing anywhere, tubaskinny.com. If they are, hope that Erika Lewis is singing with them. Not to be missed.
These are only my opinions, not supported by any actual knowledge, experience, or expertise.

Make sure to visit the Roosevelt Hotel; elegant retro architechture & design and they decorate for Christmas like there will never be another. Weekends there will be people 4 deep at all the bars, and restaurants full to capacity, so go mid week.