Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

MPN Video: Nashville Keyboard Summit - Part 1

Music Player Network and Casio bring together Nashville's top session players at Ocean Way Studios for a discussion about being a studio musician in Nashville. Stephen Fortner hosts a discussion with keyboardists Matt Rollings, Michael Whittaker, Steve Nathan, Charlie Judge, David Cohen, David Dorn.

[video:youtube]

Deep thanks to Casio for their support, to Mike Martin for all his hard work producing the video, to all the amazing keyboard players listed above who contributed their time and shared their stories, to Steve Fortner for winding them up and letting them go...and especially to The Prez - brother Steve Nathan - for making this happen.

More to come soon!

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What an honor to be in the room with that much talent. They made my job easy, as you'll see in part 1 where I ask "What does it mean to be a Nashville keyboardist as contrasted with, say, an L.A. or New York keyboardist?" Then, they go at it for 15 minutes, and every drop is gold. Can't wait to see how subsequent chapters come out!

Stephen Fortner

Principal, Fortner Media

Former Editor in Chief, Keyboard Magazine

Digital Piano Consultant, Piano Buyer Magazine

Industry affiliations: Antares, Arturia, Giles Communications, MS Media, Polyverse

So proud to have been involved with this. Being in the room with these guys and just listening to them talk was a real treasure - just did my best to capture it. From a production perspective it was a bigger challenge than I initially thought and certainly learned a lot along the way. We'll get the next part out ASAP.

-Mike Martin

Casio

Mike Martin Photography Instagram Facebook

The Big Picture Photography Forum on Music Player Network

The opinions I post here are my own and do not represent the company I work for.

dB, was that you singing on 'Your Blue Eyes'?
I wish... ð

I wrote it (words and music) and mixed it....but I actually don"t appear on the record at all otherwise. :waitwhat:

The singer"s name is William Russ, Jr. The man has soul for days. The band is Tim Pierce on guitars, Matt Bissonette on bass, John Ferraro on drums....and the mighty Steve Nathan on organ, EP and strings. Brother Steve did the 'Muscle Shoals' arrangement of the tune as well.

Here"s the whole track.

Honestly, I could have given those guys Mary Had A Little Lamb and they"d have made that sound amazing. ð¤©ð

dB

Fantastic. Great to hear those guys talk about the process. The bit about recording five or six songs in a three hour session is the big reason I never seriously pursued session work. It freaks me out. I've done it but I suck at it. These guys are machines. Not only do they get through the songs in the allotted time, they play genius-level parts. Can't wait to see the rest of it.

9 Moog things, 3 Roland things, 2 Hammond things and a computer with stuff on it

dB, was that you singing on 'Your Blue Eyes'?
I wish... ð

I wrote it (words and music) and mixed it....but I actually don"t appear on the record at all otherwise. :waitwhat:

The singer"s name is William Russ, Jr. The man has soul for days. The band is Tim Pierce on guitars, Matt Bissonette on bass, John Ferraro on drums....and the mighty Steve Nathan on organ, EP and strings. Brother Steve did the 'Muscle Shoals' arrangement of the tune as well.

Here"s the whole track.

Honestly, I could have given those guys Mary Had A Little Lamb and they"d have made that sound amazing. ð¤©ð

dB

What was funny was when I heard the tune on the intro, I thought, "that sounds like Nathan, but he's such a big shot, whose tune did they get permission to use that he played on?" Then I heard the rest on the ending and realized what tune it was. That turned out to be Very Cool.

Like everyone else, I'm looking forward to the rest! :2thu:

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Awesome! It reminds me a little of the "Caffeinated Keyboardist" podcast. Looking forward to future episodes!

That was one of my favorites. I even told him so when my podcast app pulled up some old episodes that made it seem like he was back doing it. I hope some more summits like this happen again!

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Follow-up comment: by far my favorite takeaway from this is the existence of the Bottom 40 Band. I watched their video of Pharrell's "Happy" and I was grinning ear to ear. It's been awhile since I've been so thoroughly delighted by a performance.

Samuel B. Lupowitz

Musician. Songwriter. Food Enthusiast. Bad Pun Aficionado.

Follow-up comment: by far my favorite takeaway from this is the existence of the Bottom 40 Band. I watched their video of Pharrell's "Happy" and I was grinning ear to ear. It's been awhile since I've been so thoroughly delighted by a performance.

Woah! And then a tear when I heard Go Tell It On The Mountain.

I"ve had that record (Luvalation) for a little while. It"s pretty great.

dB