Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

USB hub recommendations

My iMac needs more USB ports. Can anyone recommend a quality unit that won"t cause latency if I need to plug an audio or midi device into it? I do plan to connect important gear directly to the iMac most of the time, but it would nice to have an option.

I don"t need USB C

www.dazzjazz.com

PhD in Jazz Organ Improvisation.

BMus (Hons) Jazz Piano.

my YouTube is Jazz Organ Bites

1961 A100.Leslie 45 & 122. MAG P-2 Organ. Kawai K300J. Yamaha CP4. Moog Matriarch. KIWI-8P.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Anker. I have no idea why, but these products always provide better performance than much of the competition, perhaps not noticeably in terms of latency but definitely in terms of reliable power and device recognition in a music setting. The recommendation above is a very good one.

Dr. Mike Metlay (PhD in nuclear physics, golly gosh) :D

Musician, Author, Editor, Educator, Impresario, Online Radio Guy, Cut-Rate Polymath, and Kindly Pedant

Editor-in-Chief, Bjooks ~ Author of SYNTH GEMS 1

clicky!:  more about me ~ my radio station (and my fam) ~ my local tribe ~ my day job ~ my bookmy music

I use This. Reason being some of the downstream devices require USB-2.0 rather than 3.0. Very heavy duty with tight jacks, never had any issues live.

~ vonnor

Gear:

Hardware: Nord Stage3, Korg Kronos 2, Novation Summit

Software: Cantabile 3, Halion Sonic 3 and assorted VST plug-ins.

I've used this Plugable hub for 2 years, haven't had any issues. I use it with MainStage to connect my keyboard and Korg nanoKontrol2 and audio interface. The extra ports are nice to have to charge a phone or tablet at the same time on my desktop.

MainStage; Hammond SK1-73; Roland XP-80, JV-90, JV-1080, JV-1010, AX-1; Korg microSAMPLER;

Boss DR-880; Beat Buddy; Neo Instruments Ventilator; TC Electronic ND-1 Nova Delay

Don't roll your eyes, but I have been using this Amazon Basics 4-port USB hub for about 5 years now with zero issues.

My two board plug into it, and my Laptop cooling pad as well. My Audio i/o goes directly to the MBP

amzn hub

I also have the Anker 4 port as a back up.

I like to have two of everything just in case. Power Supplies, Cables, Girlfriends, etc...

David

Gig Rig:Depends on the day :thu:

I don"t need USB C

You might want to rethink this last point: USB-C adoption is starting to take off with many portable devices ditching micro-USB in favor of the new standard, and the rest of the industry seeing which way the wind is blowing. The USB A/B type has become kind of bloated with many different varieties of plugs, USB-C unifies ALL plug types into one, and I can already see adoption begin to snowball. I predict within 18months, USB-C will make up the plurality of all serial-based paripherals on the market.

I bought a bunch of USB-B to C cables for my keyboard rig, and have pretty much switched over. And a huge advantage: even tho the plugs are smaller, they're far tighter and more secure in their sockets, I'm optimistic about their longevity, USB-A has been dismal.

Puck Funk! :)

Equipment: Laptop running lots of nerdy software, some keyboards, noise makersâ¦yada yada yadaâ¦maybe a cat?

Don't roll your eyes, but I have been using this Amazon Basics 4-port USB hub for about 5 years now with zero issues.

My two board plug into it, and my Laptop cooling pad as well. My Audio i/o goes directly to the MBP

amzn hub

I like it how, if you click the wrong box, you'll order a 30-pack of these instead of just the one.

Yamaha P515 & CK88, Pianoteq, Mainstage, iOS, assorted other stuff.

Amazon Basics stuff is generally good, IMO. I just wish I could find a hub that had a combination of ONLY USB-A and USB-C plugs. Everything I see has every port known to man that I'd never use, and then 1 USB-C... or all of one or the other.

Puck Funk! :)

Equipment: Laptop running lots of nerdy software, some keyboards, noise makersâ¦yada yada yadaâ¦maybe a cat?

I have had no problems with most hubs. But make sure it's powered. FWIW I currently run a 9 port hub and a 7 port Belkin hub. Both are powered. They use 2 USB ports and the other 2 USBs are used for hard drives, one of which is a USB 3. All ports are in use! All my audio interfaces connect to the Belkin. I use the aggregate device as follows:

Steinberg UR22 (1/2)

Zoom R16 (3-10)

iConnect2Midi (11/12)

Yamaha CP73 (13/14)

In Logic my latency is set to either 128 or 256. This is on a late 2014 Mac Mini which is not a quick machine.

Just have to ensure all the audio interfaces are connected to the same USB port. I haven't noticed higher latency using a hub.

241.thumb.jpg.04318815079258794fd25edf2f761f1a.jpg