Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Who else has an unhealthy obsession with Kiesels?

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Beautiful guitars. I like the 2 on the left and the one next the last on the right (without the whammies however) My cheapo Ibanez RG321 looks similar has 24 frets also and that is the most versatile guitar I have ever owned.

All of them are very nice and pretty guitars! From the left: I like the walnut looking fret board on the 1st one, but would prefer the un-reversed headstock on the 2nd one, I like the 2 humbuckers (covered if possible) on the 4th one, and last but not least the body color on the 5th! and +1 on no Whammy bar fine tuning trem needed. :cool:

ps. and not to leave out the 3rd one, I'll take the fret board inlays!

Take care, Larryz

Isn't this what Carvin Guitars morphed into, or was bought out by?

The only one that really calls to me, as far as overall design is the 7-string Multi-scale on the far right, but I really, really dislike Spalted Maple, which that appears to be?

"Monsters are real, and Ghosts are real too. They live inside us, and sometimes, they win." Stephen King

http://www.novparolo.com

https://thewinstonpsmithproject.bandcamp.com

The only one that really calls to me, as far as overall design is the 7-string Multi-scale on the far right, but I really, really dislike Spalted Maple, which that appears to be?

Yep Lowell Kiesel founded Carvin. Eventually the instruments line became Kiesel and Carvin retained everything else. ( Sound gear, amps, etc....)

They have done some nice guitars. I"m just not a fan of the business model. I like to buy guitars hands on. Especially acoustic instruments.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

I have loved Carvin/Kiesels for some time. But I have to say that since the company split in two, I"ve heard more bad stories about their customer service on the guitar side than in all the years prior combined. Now, those complaints have- more often than not- regraded cosmetic issues*, not ones of quality, but that"s no excuse.

* and many of those were Option 50 situations.

Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: âNinety percent of everything is crapâ

My FLMS- Murphy's Music in Irving, Tx

http://murphysmusictx.com/

Yep Lowell Kiesel founded Carvin. Eventually the instruments line became Kiesel and Carvin retained everything else. ( Sound gear, amps, etc....)

They have done some nice guitars. I"m just not a fan of the business model. I like to buy guitars hands on. Especially acoustic instruments.

I agree about liking to play something before buying. That's what NAMM is for. =]

Music With Marky - A YouTube Channel For Guitarists Who Want To Make Better Music

Almost all of my guitars have been bought via mail order MF, SW, GC, Wildwood, etc. I would prefer the hands-on try before you buy, but the brick and mortar stores like GC usually do not have what I am interested in on their racks. I call before I go and have saved many a trip as they don't have what I'm interested in. I have only had to send back two guitars over many years of buying many guitars. I have bought and sold a couple of used guitars that I always try before buying. I have had to have work done to bring a couple of new guitars up to speed, but usually all they really need is a setup (i.e. Fender, Taylor, Epiphone, Gibson, Takamine, etc., are usually good quality).

+1 Winston, I would have to see that spalted maple before buying. I liked the way the beige contour matched the body color. I would prefer the cherry red tiger stripe with the gold hardware if they offered a reddish matching contour color on the body... :cool:

Take care, Larryz

Almost all of my guitars have been bought via mail order MF, SW, GC, Wildwood, etc. I would prefer the hands-on try before you buy, but the brick and mortar stores like GC usually do not have what I am interested in on their racks. I call before I go and have saved many a trip as they don't have what I'm interested in. I have only had to send back two guitars over many years of buying many guitars. I have bought and sold a couple of used guitars that I always try before buying. I have had to have work done to bring a couple of new guitars up to speed, but usually all they really need is a setup (i.e. Fender, Taylor, Epiphone, Gibson, Takamine, etc., are usually good quality).

+1 Winston, I would have to see that spalted maple before buying. I liked the way the beige contour matched the body color. I would prefer the cherry red tiger stripe with the gold hardware if they offered a reddish matching contour color on the body... :cool:

Exactly true about the GCs of the world!

Music With Marky - A YouTube Channel For Guitarists Who Want To Make Better Music

If I wanted any new instruments, I would build it myself with a kit from https://www.byoguitar.com/ You get the satisfaction of building your own and save a ton of money in the process.

I would be particularly interested in this one https://www.byoguitar.com/Guitars/Electric-Guitar-Kit-JEM-Style__BYO-JEM.aspx also the Strat kits as well.

If I wanted any new instruments, I would build it myself with a kit from https://www.byoguitar.com/ You get the satisfaction of building your own and save a ton of money in the process.

I would be particularly interested in this one https://www.byoguitar.com/Guitars/Electric-Guitar-Kit-JEM-Style__BYO-JEM.aspx also the Strat kits as well.

Cool link, thanks for sharing!

Winston, I have no idea why you would dislike spalted maple, but everyone is allowed to have their own likes and dislikes. By the way, the wood top on that guitar is actually buckeye burl, so it's okay for you to like it. As many of you know, I also have a Kiesel guitar that I bought last December. It was my Christmas gift to me, which was a good thing I did that, since the only other gift I got was the absolute suckiest Christmas gift ever in the entire history of sucky Christmas gifts. Anyways, might as well take this opportunity to show off my guitar again.

https://www.kieselguitars.com/images/guitars-in-stock/large/130991b.jpg

I rock; therefore, I am.

Larryz, the walnut looking fretboard is actually royal ebony. Since ebony is getting harder to obtain, a lot of guitar makers are now using royal ebony, which is basically ebony that has brown streaking in it, as opposed to the all black ebony like the fretboard on my Carvin CS6T.
I rock; therefore, I am.

Winston, I have no idea why you would dislike spalted maple, but everyone is allowed to have their own likes and dislikes. By the way, the wood top on that guitar is actually buckeye burl, so it's okay for you to like it. As many of you know, I also have a Kiesel guitar that I bought last December. It was my Christmas gift to me, which was a good thing I did that, since the only other gift I got was the absolute suckiest Christmas gift ever in the entire history of sucky Christmas gifts. Anyways, might as well take this opportunity to show off my guitar again.

https://www.kieselguitars.com/images/guitars-in-stock/large/130991b.jpg

Lovely blue git!

Larryz, the walnut looking fretboard is actually royal ebony. Since ebony is getting harder to obtain, a lot of guitar makers are now using royal ebony, which is basically ebony that has brown streaking in it, as opposed to the all black ebony like the fretboard on my Carvin CS6T.

I can see that royal ebony on the grey one (with the color change on the 1st four frets and above the 13th fret) and also on the first one I thought might be walnut now that you mention it. Not sure what the fretboard wood on the red one is? I like the one you picked out best Sharkman. The headstock design is more to my liking than the others. The body all one color is also nice with the tiger stripes and the bird's eye maple fretboard/neck with the inlays, no whammy and the string through body bridge. I do like the inlay design on the 12 string a little better but yours is also very nice...

+1 Bob Taylor started using the whole ebony tree for fretboards, instead of the all black ebony to save trees and use the wood. He saw them cut down 4 or 5 trees to get the all black cores and waste a lot of wood. The ebony (not all black) works just the same and like the one I thought might be walnut shows it's still a good looking wood. :cool:

Take care, Larryz

Thanks Marky. Larry, the red one has a zebrawood fretboard. Not as hard as ebony, but harder than most other fretboard woods. And zebrawood has that wonderful grain that looks so impressive. I like the fretboard inlays on the 12 string as well, but when I bought mine, it was already built, so I didn't have the option of changing anything.
I rock; therefore, I am.

I think you made the right choices Sharkman! Ebony is my favorite fret board material, then maple, then rosewood...I haven't tried that Zebrawood or Walnut yet. I think I would like the walnut fretboard and wish it had been available when I bought my acoustic with a cedar top, walnut back and sides and ebony fretboard. :cool:
Take care, Larryz