Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Inept Craigslist Sellers

I have had generally good luck with Craigslist and Facebook Marketplace. I provide complete descriptions of the items, as well as context around how I've used them and why I'm selling. I also am diligent about taking down ads after an item is sold, so I'll say "if this ad is still up, it's available!" or similar. I also have picked up some great deals on used amplification.

Since we're usually talking about pricey gear, a phone call is part of the protocol, whether buying or selling. If I'm buying, the purpose is usually to help discern if the seller is legit. If I'm selling, it's to help the buyer discern that I'm legit -- and that they're serious.

It may not be perfect, but it's the best we've got ...

Want to make your band better?  Check out "A Guide To Starting (Or Improving!) Your Own Local Band"

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ugh. CL is bad for buyers, and torture for sellers. At this for me it was.

If I buy used, I go for guitar center used, as they have a 30 day window for local returns. At worst, you'd eat shipping (if nothing was wrong with the item). I've returned several things over the years that either had an issue or I didn't jive with once I had it.

That said, a certain online dealer will cut you great deals...every time I've asked them about a particular item, they've quoted me something that matches or even beats used...so they are my go-to. Not sure I can mention here.

Ugh. CL is bad for buyers, and torture for sellers. At this for me it was.

If I buy used, I go for guitar center used, as they have a 30 day window for local returns. At worst, you'd eat shipping (if nothing was wrong with the item). I've returned several things over the years that either had an issue or I didn't jive with once I had it.

That said, a certain online dealer will cut you great deals...every time I've asked them about a particular item, they've quoted me something that matches or even beats used...so they are my go-to. Not sure I can mention here.

LOL, well if you can mention GC, it seems you could mention the other .... maybe just by initials?

I'm guessing MF because I get so many emails from them telling me to call if I don't see the deal I want ... and because I bought a 'blemished' synth from them that was indistinguishable from brand-spankin-new (over the past 18 months, I've yet to figure out what the blem is supposed to be).

Alternatively PAS who people accuse so often of passing off returned/used items as new that there's a web site devoted only to complaining about them (just add 'sucks' to the end of their name, and search on Google). Never bought from them myself so I don't know.

I suppose the best way to find out would be to just call them all up and ask :)

Getting back to the this thread's topic: it is not at all rare that I've seen something listed locally on CL, and then found it cheaper on ebay -- with the added bonus of being delivered to my door. On the other hand, sometimes CL comes through.

Checking my records I see 4 of my last 20 synth purchases were via CL, vs 6 from ebay, and 4 from FB's Market place -- the remainder being major online dealers (GC, SW, MF). So clearly it's been worth the CL headaches sometimes ...

It's not the gear, it's the player ... but hey, look -- new gear!

And don't forget Used Guitar Center. 45 day returns, they'll ship it or make it available for picking up in a store, either one no charge, and if you do return it, you can take it to a local store for no charge. And they've got a pretty healthy number of listings.

Numa Piano X73 /// Kawai ES920 /// Casio CT-X5000 /// Yamaha EW425

Yamaha Melodica and Alto Recorder

QSC K8.2 // JBL Eon One Compact // Soundcore Motion Boom Plus 

Win10 laptop i7 8GB // iPad Pro 9.7" 32GB

• 3 weeks later...
I just sold a 147 Leslie on Craigslist. I had it up for one day which almost never happens. The best thing is that someone really needed it so the timing was good.

"Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

noblevibes.com

I've given up. Maybe I'll post the Korg after Thanksgiving when Christmas shopping season officially starts.

likely your ad is not reaching the potential audience on your local CL

I am not a fan of eBay but you would be the only US seller of it, if you make a listing today.

A definite advantage

Why fit in, when you were born to stand out ?

My Soundcloud with many originals:

[70's Songwriter]

I've given up. Maybe I'll post the Korg after Thanksgiving when Christmas shopping season officially starts.

likely your ad is not reaching the potential audience on your local CL

Well, it's the MicroX. I had it priced below market at $250. People were just kicking tires...

It's more for home studio musicians but thought it would go fast at that price. Oh well. :idk:

When an eel hits your eye like a big pizza pie, that's a Moray.

Craigslist is simple, I've been using it as a buyer and seller for years.

I've found some incredible deals and sold a pile of stuffs.

Forgive me if I am stating the obvious.

1. Craigslist belongs to the swift

2. If buying, say "I am interested in your (item in title), I would like to check it out. Save the questions for the reply, if there is one.

Be aware that a well priced item may be long gone before the Seller has time to answer your question so if you really want it, move fast (see #1)

3. If selling, post "Local cash only, I will not ship. I like to meet at (local public place near your home - Starbucks, food court etc)."

4. If an item with a rechargable battery (cameras for one) does not include the charger it is probably stolen.

5. If you are going to make an offer, do it in your first message. DO NOT spring it on the seller when you meet them, that is a dick move.

6. If you are a seller and a buyer makes a reasonable offer, take it. Bear in mind you didn't have to ship the item and now it's gone plus you have money.

7. If any response is questionable, cease and delete. On to the next.

If I think of anything else I'll post it.

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

Craigslist is simple, I've been using it as a buyer and seller for years.

I've found some incredible deals and sold a pile of stuffs.

Forgive me if I am stating the obvious.

1. Craigslist belongs to the swift

2. If buying, say "I am interested in your (item in title), I would like to check it out. Save the questions for the reply, if there is one.

Be aware that a well priced item may be long gone before the Seller has time to answer your question so if you really want it, move fast (see #1)

3. If selling, post "Local cash only, I will not ship. I like to meet at (local public place near your home - Starbucks, food court etc)."

4. If an item with a rechargable battery (cameras for one) does not include the charger it is probably stolen.

5. If you are going to make an offer, do it in your first message. DO NOT spring it on the seller when you meet them, that is a dick move.

6. If you are a seller and a buyer makes a reasonable offer, take it. Bear in mind you didn't have to ship the item and now it's gone plus you have money.

7. If any response is questionable, cease and delete. On to the next.

If I think of anything else I'll post it.

8} Does the seller or buyer have a police record ?

9] Is there a warrant out for the arrest of the buyer or seller ?

Yes, it is simple on CL, ;)

Why fit in, when you were born to stand out ?

My Soundcloud with many originals:

[70's Songwriter]