Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

I Bought Tickets to Two Shows Early Next Year

Both shows are at a venue that's a little far for us to be regulars, though we will make the trip when the show is on the right night and we want to see the act (we've seen EscapeRocks' Journey tribute there twice, if that tells you anything).

I don't believe either act has been to the Houston area since I started paying attention to them. If they have, it's been many years.

The act I had to see is Joey DeFrancesco Trio on February 14th. No tickets had been sold yet so we're right up front and I believe we'll be on Joey's side of the stage.

I stumbled across the other act looking for the listing for Joey's show. I thought, what the heck, I like some of her stuff and want to give her a chance in person. That's right, we're seeing Hiromi they day after my birthday on January 31. Same seats as for the Joey show, but a few tickets had been sold so far.

It should be a fun couple of nights over two weeks. :thu:

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The act I had to see is Joey DeFrancesco Trio on February 14th. No tickets had been sold yet

'cause it's Valentine's Day ;)

What's more romantic than some sweet organ jazz? :idk:

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

That's right, we're seeing Hiromi

Me, too! I've got the NYC Sony Hall show in a few weeks while I'm in town for AES. :cool:

dB

:cool:

Well, I'm going to see TTB on 02/15 and 02/22, both shows at the Warner Theatre. We will have to compare notes. :cool:

I'm seeing them here next month! :cool:

Well, I'm going to see TTB on 02/15 and 02/22, both shows at the Warner Theatre. We will have to compare notes. :cool:

I'm seeing them here next month! :cool:

I'm overdue to catch TTB again. I've seen them twice, once in 2012 when both Burbridge brothers were still in the band, and again after the second record came out (that was a weird show; lots of comped tickets and a fairly disinterested/unenthusiastic crowd -- Sharon Jones was on the bill and she was very frustrated that she couldn't get people up and dancing in the front). I really loved the last two records, so I hope they swing through my area again soon... gonna be a bummer without Kofi but I've been a big fan of Gabe Dixon's playing since I first heard him on Paul McCartney's Driving Rain record in 2001.

Samuel B. Lupowitz

Musician. Songwriter. Food Enthusiast. Bad Pun Aficionado.

(that was a weird show; lots of comped tickets and a fairly disinterested/unenthusiastic crowd -- Sharon Jones was on the bill and she was very frustrated that she couldn't get people up and dancing in the front).

I saw them on that tour and it was at our local "shed." We had okay seats, but one of the ushers traded us tickets for better seats, and did that for lots of others as well. It was weird they didn't come close to selling out the venue. It sounds like the whole tour wasn't run well if something similar happened where you are too.

OTOH, this time and the last time they came through, they're playing a room that's usually used for stuff like Broadway touring shows. Whatever works I guess.

I just got an email from the venue that the Joey DeFrancesco show has been cancelled and I will be refunded. :(

TTB? I"m in the dark here.

I"ve got a bit of concert-itus myself. Just found out my favorite vocalist, Gino Vannelli, is at the Iridium Jazz Club in NYC on October 16 & 17, then is followed by my favorite musician, Larry Carlton, on the 18 & 19th. Just way too late for me to do that trip, and I"m bummed.

And I JUST found out that Grumpy Old Rick is going to be in Tampa on October 26th. I may be able to make that drive. Still short notice. When he first announced his tour the furthest south on the east coast was Washington, DC, so I wrote it off as not possible for me.

Decisions, decisions...

The fact there's a Highway To Hell and only a Stairway To Heaven says a lot about anticipated traffic numbers

People only say "It's a free country" when they're doing something shitty-Demetri Martin

Gloria?

his wife :doh:

I wondered but had no idea. Were they on the cover of the Enquirer recently or something? :whistle::wave:

TTB? I"m in the dark here.

Tedeshi Trucks Band :rocker:

Thanks for that. She sang the anthem before today"s Braves debacle.

The fact there's a Highway To Hell and only a Stairway To Heaven says a lot about anticipated traffic numbers

People only say "It's a free country" when they're doing something shitty-Demetri Martin

Gloria?

his wife :doh:

I wondered but had no idea. Were they on the cover of the Enquirer recently or something? :whistle::wave:

:laugh:

No, but understand that I met Joey when he was still a teenager over 25 years ago. Usually I get to see him several times a year, and I converse with him and his wife frequently before and after the show.

:nopity:

No, but understand that I met Joey when he was still a teenager over 25 years ago. Usually I get to see him several times a year, and I converse with him and his wife frequently before and after the show.

Okay, cool.

I hope the show gets rescheduled. I only happened upon the listing because we were there for another show, otherwise I wouldn't have known at all. I don't check their listings frequently as they have lots of acts that aren't my thing and the venue is a little bit of a trek especially if the show is a school night. I didn't realize they were into having jazz at all until this, and then finding Hiromi and seeing Herb Alpert, Eddie Palmieri, Mike Stern with Jeff Lorber & Jimmy Haslip listed as well.

• 4 months later...

Note 1 - I met Joey at NAMM and asked why the gig here was cancelled. He said, "that club is totally jive, man!" Bummer, I thought, it's a popular place and we go there on occasion. When I was there for the Hiromi show last month, I talked to the guy they said books all the shows. He said he had no idea who Joey was, but he's away for the month of February every year so he didn't book that show. My guess is the sub booker screwed things up somehow, but that's just a guess.

Note 2 - I saw Hiromi on the 31st and she was excellent. I had great seats, first "row" (they're not really rows, it's long tables and chairs) right behind her. I couldn't take a photo during the show but took this one before it. She didn't talk much but some stuff she told us was funny. I hope she comes back through town sometime.

577.thumb.jpg.32baaaef89231bd040c7d407db1285da.jpg