Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

RICK WAKEMAN To Embark On First Solo U.S. Tour In 13 Years

I just might have to make time for this. :)

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/yes-keyboard-wizard-rick-wakeman-to-embark-on-first-solo-u-s-tour-in-13-years/

"The Grumpy Old Rock Star" North American tour dates:

Sep. 21 - Annapolis, MD - Maryland Hall For The Creative Arts

Sep. 22 - Derry, NH - Tupelo Music Hall

Sep. 23 - Boston, MA - The Wilbur

Sep. 24 - Huntington, NY - The Paramount

Sep. 25 - Alexandria, VA - The Birchmere

Sep. 27 - Quebec City, QC - Palais Montcalm

Sep. 28 - Montreal, QC - Olympia Theatre

Sep. 29 - Toronto, ON - Danforth Music Hall

Oct. 02 - Harrisburg, PA - Whitaker Center

Oct. 04 - St. Charles, IL - Arcada Theatre

Oct. 08 - Allentown, PA - Miller Symphony Hall

Oct. 10 - Englewood, NJ - Bergen Performing Arts Center

Oct. 11 - Collingswood, NJ - Scottish Rite Auditorium

Oct. 13 - Ridgefield, CT - Ridgefield Playhouse

:nopity:

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Nothing south of Virginia. *sigh*

The fact there's a Highway To Hell and only a Stairway To Heaven says a lot about anticipated traffic numbers

People only say "It's a free country" when they're doing something shitty-Demetri Martin

it is interesting except for one gig just west of Chicago, everything is on the East Coast, including the 2 Canadian gigs. Almost like "if I need to get back to England in a hurry, I can."

Sep. 21 - Annapolis, MD - Maryland Hall For The Creative Arts

Sep. 22 - Derry, NH - Tupelo Music Hall

Sep. 23 - Boston, MA - The Wilbur

Sep. 24 - Huntington, NY - The Paramount

Sep. 25 - Alexandria, VA - The Birchmere

Holy moley, five days back-to-back, followed a couple of days later by three days back-to-back! At least he gives himself a day or three off for breathing and traveling between most of the remaining days.

As for the lack of southern or western locations, this might just be the first leg of his tour, with additional dates and places yet to be announced for a second or even third leg. (One can hope, anyway!)

Michael Rideout

Sadly...I think it's more about where prog is traditionally strong in the US.

dB

I think I'll call my real estate agent...I need to move.

Grey

I'm not interested in someone's ability to program. I'm interested in their ability to compose and play.

• 4 months later...

Awesome.

I hope he talks to the audience, the guy cracks me up.

Last time I saw him I was 12 years old and he had a Sequenced Cape and I was mesmerized by the sound of the Moog and Mellotron.

Im going to try and stay over for a week and catch the show in St. Charles.

Im playing in Peoria on the 27th. Just have to change my flight and hit my cousin up in Champagne for a crib, and hes got a killer Studio with a rack of Symbolic Sound gear.

He edits films for TV and does wonders with audio.

Wish I would have known about this sooner.

Any idea what material he will be okaying?

Magnus C350 + FMR RNP + Realistic Unisphere Mic

Awesome.

I hope he talks to the audience, the guy cracks me up.

Last time I saw him I was 12 years old and he had a Sequenced Cape and I was mesmerized by the sound of the Moog and Mellotron.

Im going to try and stay over for a week and catch the show in St. Charles.

Im playing in Peoria on the 27th. Just have to change my flight and hit my cousin up in Champagne for a crib, and hes got a killer Studio with a rack of Symbolic Sound gear.

He edits films for TV and does wonders with audio.

Wish I would have known about this sooner.

Any idea what material he will be okaying?

Unfortunately he'll just be doing his Victor Borge shtick, not something I'm interested in seeing. Just him joking with the audience and playing his piano. No band. No multiple keyboards.

I was going to go to the Ridgefield CT show until I confirmed this with the box office. :(

https://ridgefieldplayhouse.org/event/rick-wakeman/

Also, meet & greet is $150! :facepalm:

I saw the Cowboy Junkies there for $50 and Margo Timmins went out in the lobby after the show to talk with fans for free.

Billy Joel did that type of gig, and I saw a video of his act on the Penn State Campus some time ago. The audience enjoyed the question and answer session, Billy playing a grand piano and explaining the origins of his material.

Tickets weren't anywhere near $150.00.

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

just to clarify, tickets aren't $150.00. VIP packages are $150.00. This has been the new normal for just about every act for quite a while now. Rick is playing 2 dozen shows in the USA and Canada, obviously people want to see him. He already has a dozen shows scheduled for December in England. People must still like him.

I have seen Snarky Puppy 7 times and have never paid much more, if any, over $50.00. They always come to the lobby after every show for chat, photos, and autograph signing for free. There are always going to be exceptions to the VIP experience, but we will see it more often than not.

I've seen his several of his solo shows in the UK (Rick lives near me.... :D ) It is always wonderful. He is incredibly funny and his playing is great. I love the stripped down versions of his famous works. Like all well written compositions, they work just as well on solo piano as they do in a huge band. I would highly recommend this show to anyone who loves the piano and has a sense of humour. :)
"Turn your fingers into a dust rag and keep them keys clean!" ;) Bluzeyone

He's not coming to Indy but I might make the trip to St Louis you see him. Tempted to do the meet and greet, but it ain't cheap. Anybody done that before? Is it nothing more than a simple handshake and a quick snap of the cell phone camera before someone ushers you along?

Custom Music, Audio Post Production, Location Audio

www.gmma.biz

https://www.facebook.com/gmmamusic/

He's not coming to Indy but I might make the trip to St Louis you see him. Tempted to do the meet and greet, but it ain't cheap. Anybody done that before? Is it nothing more than a simple handshake and a quick snap of the cell phone camera before someone ushers you along?

According to the Ridgefield Playhouse in Ridgefield CT (I'd guess the price is the same everywhere else):

MEET & GREET UPGRADE AVAILABLE: $150 Additional

Includes:

â Priority check-in and entrance

â Meet & Greet with Rick Wakeman

â Photo opportunity with Rick Wakeman

â Invitation to private sound check

â Merchandise item designed and created exclusively for package purchasers

â Collectible laminate to remember your evening

â Onsite check-in staff

So $80-$90 for the ticket, plus $150 for the meet & greet. :ohmy:

According to the Ridgefield Playhouse in Ridgefield CT (I'd guess the price is the same everywhere else):

Includes:

â Onsite check-in staff

Yeah, I'd seen that much online, but that doesn't really answer the question about the actual meet and greet. If it's a real hang, cool. If it's a very brief "hello", then "NEXT!", well, I'll pass.

Custom Music, Audio Post Production, Location Audio

www.gmma.biz

https://www.facebook.com/gmmamusic/

Includes:

â Onsite check-in staff

Yeah, I'd seen that much online, but that doesn't really answer the question about the actual meet and greet. If it's a real hang, cool. If it's a very brief "hello", then "NEXT!", well, I'll pass.

The meet and greet and the marketing merchandising would have to provide more value IMO. If I went to the show, and met Rick, I would give him a CD of my material- and ask for his advice/help.

Why fit in, when you were born to stand out ?

My Soundcloud with many originals:

[70's Songwriter]

There are only so many people one can 'meet' at one time. But still: real face time with the very real Rick Wakeman. I expect the results could well be a bit more than "hello" but necessarily less than "a real hang" simply because everybody there is in competition to meet/talk to the same person.

It's not the gear, it's the player ... but hey, look -- new gear!

I'm going again on Wednesday night, so I will have gone to 2 of the first 5 shows. His show on October 2nd is only 90 minutes or so from me, but if the show is exactly the same (which I kind of expect), I won't go a 3rd time.
I am also attending Wednesday's Harrisburg concert. Looking forward to this!

Steve Coscia

Last night's Rick Wakeman concert was inspiring. Simplicity at its best - a man, a piano and talent. Also nice to hang with an entire audience in my age bracket - we related to Rick's anecdotes about aging, doctor visits, declining health and memories of loved ones lost.

The top photo was taken when I first arrived. My smartphone didn't do the second photo justice. I was in the third row and close enough to witness Rick's personality, signature story-telling and non-verbal nuance. Overall a fun night out.

RickWakeman3.jpg

RickWakeman4.jpg

Steve Coscia