Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Who plays the piano solo on "I�m So Excited"

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The video shows a guy who actually looks like he"s playing it.

I think so. Just tried it on my piano, it's a lot of fun. Doesn't hurt that it's based off of the Gm blues/Bb maj/min pentatonic scale either :laugh:

The video shows a bit more than expected as well, between 00:55 - 57. Another 'Were the censors sleeping moment?', similar to the time Festus (Ken Curtis) said 'Aw f*#k' in a Gunsmoke episode..

'Someday, we'll look back on these days and laugh; likely a maniacal laugh from our padded cells, but a laugh nonetheless' - Mr. Boffo.

We need a barfing cat emoticon!

The video shows a guy who actually looks like he"s playing it.

The player in the video looks like Smith.

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=william+d+smith+keyboard&t=iphone&iax=images&ia=images&iai=http%3A%2F%2Frecord.ticro.com%2Frecord%2Fjacket%2FW00000776.jpg

aka âmisterdregsâ

Nord Electro 5D 73

Yamaha P105

Kurzweil PC3LE7

Motion Sound KP200S

Schimmel 6-10LE

QSC CP-12

Westone AM Pro 30 IEMs

Rolls PM55P

Just a side note - I was lucky enough to see The Pointer Sisters just when this song was hitting the charts. They, their band, and this song were a force of nature.They opened the show with it and I"ve never forgotten it.

Here for the gear.

Just a side note - I was lucky enough to see The Pointer Sisters just when this song was hitting the charts. They, their band, and this song were a force of nature.They opened the show with it and I"ve never forgotten it.

Yeah, what a talented group. Back then we (Casio) were endorsing their two keyboard players (Marc Ritter and Greg Whelchel) who used CZ synths among their array of gear. I also remember endorsing Smitty Smith as well....

Mate:

Wowsa, that was a burning performance. Piano player played some hip lines. What a tempo!

Jerry

• 1 year later...

Im so Excited.

The piano solo was Willian D Smith, but he was a very close frined of mine before he passed from Cancer at Cedars Sinai Hopsital . A few days before he passed I got a call from Edda James, she was there said Smitty wantes to talk with you for a while Michael.

We called him Smitty,not William. We spoke for a while as I hade been out fo country. Smitty and I recorded many songs with Bernie Larson (Dave Lindleys band) and Ian McGlaggin (Faces), Ian Wallace, and an album for many John Woodwin, and many great artists. Smitty brough to my home studio Lenny Castrao, Paulina D Lacosta and so many cool guys, he recorded great keyboards on many of my songs as I was only playing guitar and vocals then, but keyboards also and he tought me alot about finding the grove.

So to this end he spoke about all the music he played and one of the tunes was Im So Excited and he play the piano solo. Smitty was always there when I needed his coolness. After speaking with him he handed the phone back to Edda, and she said he really wanted to see me before he left, but I was still in Korea, we never got to hang out again.

So there is the answer to the mystery on Smitty and Im So Excited and that killer piano solo. Peace out guys !!!!

Michael S Smith

Raining Thunder

Michael Smith Music Score

The video shows a bit more than expected as well, between 00:55 - 57

Yeah, just as the lyrics say: "And if you move real slow, I'll let it show..."

That was NO accident.......... :o)

I like the piano solo too -- as I never would have gone "back in time" to catch that again, if not prompted by this posting.

Old No7

Yamaha MODX6 * Hammond SK Pro 73 * Roland Fantom-08 * Crumar Mojo Pedals * Mackie Thump 12As * Tascam DP-24SD * JBL 305 MkIIs

I don't like the drum beat, though. Similar to "I'm Still Standing" and "You Make My Dreams Come True"... it kinda counts on everyone else to give the song a groove.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

• 1 month later...

This should be the definitive response, since it comes from one of the horses' mouths â the great drummer JR Robinson ("Ain"t Nobody," "Don"t Stop Till You Get Enough," "Higher Love"), who was featured on the track.

In an interview (conducted by a drum equipment company), Robinson was asked what he remembered about the recording session for "I'm So Excited." Here's his response:

"This was a great band with Nate Watts on bass, Tim May, Paul Jackson and Ira Newborn on guitars, and with John Barnes on keys."

On the album credits for the track, William "Smitty" Smith is credited with playing organ, while John Barnes plays "acoustic piano."

http://slapklatz.com/endorsers/john-jr-robinson/stories-behind-the-biggest-hits/