Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

The Robert Fripp/PPL/Bowie Debacle

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This, to me, is absurd.

Try to imagine "Heroes" without Fripp's distinctive, soaring E-Bow line that grounds the entire theme of the song. It's like trying to imagine "Satisfaction" minus Keith's blistering Fuzz riff. I can't imagine Bowie allowing this if he were alive?

FWIW, Robert Fripp has long been fighting the good fight against the record companies. He has extensively, some might say exhaustively, chronicled his legal battles with EG, his record label, over non-payment of royalties, and ownership of master recordings. There was some legal issue or ruling, wherein Fripp was found to be the only person with legal standing to bring the suit, and thus receive compensation, so he undertook to distribute the funds more fairly, among the surviving members of the band, in its various incarnations.

"Monsters are real, and Ghosts are real too. They live inside us, and sometimes, they win." Stephen King

http://www.novparolo.com

https://thewinstonpsmithproject.bandcamp.com

Robert Fripp is fighting the good fight for all professional musicians...

https://guardiansofguitar.com/2019/09/25/opinion-whats-in-a-title/

Indeed, Here's to him, and to his success here- in turn, EVERYONE'S success here if he wins this battle, which shouldn't have been a battle to begin with.

This, to me, is absurd.

Try to imagine "Heroes" without Fripp's distinctive, soaring E-Bow line that grounds the entire theme of the song. It's like trying to imagine "Satisfaction" minus Keith's blistering Fuzz riff. I can't imagine Bowie allowing this if he were alive?

All very true!

FWIW, Robert Fripp has long been fighting the good fight against the record companies. He has extensively, some might say exhaustively, chronicled his legal battles with EG, his record label, over non-payment of royalties, and ownership of master recordings. There was some legal issue or ruling, wherein Fripp was found to be the only person with legal standing to bring the suit, and thus receive compensation, so he undertook to distribute the funds more fairly, among the surviving members of the band, in its various incarnations.

My esteem for Mr. Fripp has certainly increased by no small amount.

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

• 5 weeks later...

Here's the problem. I've been told that I'm owed at least low six figures from royalties dating back to the 60s, 70s, and 80s. It would cost more for me to recover those royalties, in legal fees, time, and hassle, than what I'd end up receiving...especially now that most of the companies involved have been bought and sold so many times, just tracking down the books would be a major task. I see where Fripp is going with this, but I don't know if he stands a chance.

The one hope for the future is blockchain-based "smart contracts," but it will take a while for those to get off the ground. People seem to think blockchain is only about crypto-currencies, but it could be just as easily about smart contracts, tracking a guitar as it gets sold and re-sold, or coming up with file-sharing that generates revenue for the artist but also gives a finder's fee to those who share the files. To Fripp's point, a lot of people contribute to a recording's sound. There's no reason why the specifics couldn't be embedded into a smart contract, even if it was only to give 0.5% to someone.