Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT: Beer for party

cedar

My wife and I are throwing a casual, BBQ type party. The party will go from 5-9, which I think will result in some people arriving early, some late. We expect a total of 65-75 people, but I doubt there will be that number at any given time. And that group includes 10-15 musicians, who will be taking their turns jamming.

We intend to provide a full range of beverages (beer, wine, some mixed drinks, seltzer, soda, etc). Most people will be middle-aged, and not heavy drinkers.

Having said that, anyone have any opinions about: (1) the total quantity of beer; and (2) the beer selections. I think I'd like to provide 3-4 different beers, but no idea what to get. I like most beer, personally, but am far from a beer aficionado.

Suggestions?

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, as far as beer types, you have lagers, pilsners, IPAs, a decent light beer...IPAs are the very hoppy, bitter type beers some people like. I don"t think they are as popular or mainstream as lagers and pilsners. Are there any local craft breweries around you that are popular? Often a craft brewer will have have a range of beer types, often in the same 6 pack. Makes a variety easy to achieve with one brewer. Just an idea. I would suggest having at least a decent light beer, a lager and a Pilsner. 3 choices. You could go domestic or spend a little more money and go import.

Kurzweil Forte 7, Mojo 61, Yamaha P-125,

Kronos X61, Nautilus 73

Percentage wise I'd go with something like 30% Mexican Lager, 30% American guzzlin beer ( or 15% American guzzlin beer, 15% Heineken), 40% some more niche / interesting craft options.

Kawai C-60 Grand Piano : Hammond A-100 : Hammond SK2 : Yamaha CP4 : Yamaha Montage 7 : Moog Sub 37

My latest album: Funky organ, huge horn section

https://bobbycressey.bandcamp.com/album/cali-native

I think it's fantastic that a question like this can be asked on a keyboard forum. Show how much we care about each other. :thu:

Now to answer your question. There are only two types of beers, ales and lagers. everything else is a style or category. We don't need to get into the science of it here. A pilsner is a lager. A stout is a lager. The majority of big name beers globally are lagers, Heineken, Corona, Budweiser, and so on. Most ales are labeled as an ale, American Pale Ale, India pale Ale, and so on.

I like Bobby's percentage chart. There are people who like Michelob Ultra and there are people who like high alcohol IPA's. I happen to like both. :)

Agree with getting local craft brewery mix packs. Are you on Long Island? Blue Point is excellent. Also check out Brooklyn Brewery.

:nopity:

I'm in Westchester, and near me there is a large store with countless craft beers.

Advice so far is exactly what I was looking for. Bobby's chart sounds sensible.

Since we will be offering various other drinks, it's going to be tricky to figure out the right quantities (though there are on-line calculators). I've got a feeling I'm going to end up over-buying a lot, but then I guess I'll be well-stocked for the next few months.

I"d modify Bobby"s chart a bit, just because I would never let Bud/Coors/PBR cross the door of my fridge and Montreal is too cold for Mexican or Brazilian water replacements most of the time:

- 50% GOOD but unoffensive lighter beers (Alexander Keith"s, Sleeman, Stella, Heineken)

- 25% craft ales (both red ales & IPAs and variations, I like Rogue & Ommegang, Brooklyn has a lot of interesting microbreweries)

- 25% porter, stout, darker beers (we are getting into autumn, after all)

My Site

Nord Electro 5D, Novation Launchkey 61, Logic Pro X, Mainstage 3, lots of plugins, fingers, pencil, paper.

I've got a feeling I'm going to end up over-buying a lot, but then I guess I'll be well-stocked for the next few months.
Rule #1. Buy stuff that if it's left over, you'll drink it. If you don't drink red wine, buy only a couple of bottles. I don't drink white wine, so I'd buy only a couple of bottles of that. If you won't drink Bud light, even though you know a few friends do, don't buy more than a 6-pack. What's your fridge beer? (Mine is Stella.) Buy lots of whatever you like to drink. If you're stuck with a case of 24 left over, you're still happy. I won't drink Bud or Coors or most American beer, but if you know someone likes, for instance, Pabst Blue Ribbon, get them some of that but not a lot so you won't be stuck with it. Craft beers can be a gamble. I think people don't like to take a chance on their beverages at a BBQ. They want what they want. If I'm stuck with Blue Moon as the only choice at a party, I'll drink it. But I won't be happy about it.

Get decent wine. It doesn't cost a lot more. Don't get bargain/cheap wine. Don't get Yellow Tail. If you drink wine and you know what you like, there's a label that you've had before that you know is drinkable or that you have enjoyed, get several bottles of that. If you don't know wines, ask a friend who does. Maybe that person can go with you to the store.

Get some diet sodas. Even if you hate them and never drink them, many older adults prefer them. (There's a recent study that 2 or more sodas a day, sugared or diet, have higher risk of death. https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jamainternalmedicine/article-abstract/2749350)

Mixed drinks? Think about making pitchers of margaritas, or any other specialty drink that you can produce in quantity. You don't need to provide a full bar for a BBQ -- unless you want to have one for yourself after the party is over and later on. I like to have a bottle of good scotch around anyway. Or Irish whiskey.

Also, people typically bring some beverages to a BBQ, even if they're told not to. Let them.

These are only my opinions, not supported by any actual knowledge, experience, or expertise.

It's stupid and you guys can kill me for this, but right now I wouldn't throw a party without at least some White Claw in stock. I'm doing clubs several nights a week, and on any given night half the tables will have White Claw on them. And it's not just kids under 30... everyone is drinking this stuff. It's a fad and will go away (hopefully soon) but right now...

If you get Mexican lager, more Modelo than Corona - once again what I'm seeing on tables currently.

I'm a huge craft beer fan, but a lot of gourmands will snub their nose at that sorta thing. You probably need to have some American Pils unless it's a 100% bougie crowd who don't go for that sorta thing. One thing that's always a safe bet is a popular local/state brewery, then everyone can feel good about "drinking local" even if it's not their first choice. You can typically substitute American Pils with Mexican Pils, Canadian Pils, Heineken or Stella, which are all typically better. If it's an outdoor BBQ, probably err on the lighter side for craft beers: session IPAs, Pales, and American Hefeweizen (amazing hot-weather beer). Soft-pass on the super-hoppy or super dark beers until it gets cooler. I say this as a huge dark-stout drinker, the blacker the better... but I usually have a lot left over if I buy too many.

For instance, back in Alaska I could throw a party for ANYONE with a 24-pack of Alaskan Amber Ale. Even the most proletariate would happily chug some state pride!

Puck Funk! :)

Equipment: Laptop running lots of nerdy software, some keyboards, noise makersâ¦yada yada yadaâ¦maybe a cat?

Here may be a helpful website for you: RIGHT HERE

I like beer that does not have a very strong beer flavor but is icy cold and the bubbles are fine, basic beer in a keg fits this description. But I started liking Fosters so I drink their lager. While buying a few in a check out line a guy started a conversation about Australia. He said no one drinks Fosters in Australia. I had heard no one world wide drinks Fosters. According to this poll Fosters is ranked #57 in Australian beer. The notion that "Fosters" is Australian for "beer" as Paul Hogan says shows how successful their marketing has been in America. A lot of people believe Fosters is a popular beer. And, at least the Fosters sold here is an American made beer. Meaning, according to the text on the cans it is brewed in the Americas.

First thoughts to OP:

1) Total quantity should be "s***loads". You can always drink the surplus.

2) If you're shouting the beer, they'll drink what you buy and like it, or they can go take a long walk off a short jetty.

An Australian acquaintance once told me "Fosters is Australian for dingo piss."

I wouldn't be quite that kind about it. This being said I doubt any Aussie younger than Gen X has actually tasted the stuff.

Flattered some of you roughly endorse my suggested ratio. I am really quite far from an aficionado, though San Diego is an incredible beer town. Beer is good but my palate isn't too discerning. I just thought about what I see people drink at parties.

I have one alternative suggestion to the OP as someone who has thrown quite a few parties over the year:: people will bring beer as well. Put yourself in their shoes and realize that many feel it is the right thing to do when going to a party. Keep it in mind, maybe you don't have to buy quite as much.

Kawai C-60 Grand Piano : Hammond A-100 : Hammond SK2 : Yamaha CP4 : Yamaha Montage 7 : Moog Sub 37

My latest album: Funky organ, huge horn section

https://bobbycressey.bandcamp.com/album/cali-native

Kirin is pretty standard here in the Pacific islands, so is Asahi and Sapporo, all decent Japanese Pils, same category as Canadian and Mexican Pils... slightly better than American Pils but still not much flavor.

Puck Funk! :)

Equipment: Laptop running lots of nerdy software, some keyboards, noise makersâ¦yada yada yadaâ¦maybe a cat?

I had to look up WTF White Claw is. Hard seltzer. Soda water with 5% alcohol. Geez, have a vodka and soda with a slice of lime. More bang for your buck.
Until this thread, I had never heard of White Claw either. Then ten minutes after reading it I read this in the Washington Post: The key to White Claw"s surging popularity: Marketing to a post-gender world. Weird. I guess I need to get out more.

I just picked up some Bells Pale Ale :

http://www.bellsbeer.com/beer/year-round/midwestern-pale-ale

Also locally Young Lion. Their logo also fits in with my bands but it's great beer. I'd like them to help sponsor an event:

http://younglionbrewing.com/

"Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

noblevibes.com

An Australian acquaintance once told me "Fosters is Australian for dingo piss."

I wouldn't be quite that kind about it. This being said I doubt any Aussie younger than Gen X has actually tasted the stuff.

Brief history of Fosters as I know it. Up until the 70's beers were strictly regional in Australia and Fosters was a Victorian beer. Then as M&A activity in brewing industry started CUB who owned Fosters got it a product placement in a movie call the Adventures of Barry McKenzie. It was a satirical comedy with a plot based on Aussies chundering all over London. The movie introduced Fosters to the rest of Australia and the UK. Being parochial those outside Victoria dismissed it as piss, but CUB pushed it into pubs in the UK.

Then CUB became a major F1 sponsor and launched Fosters as an international brand.

Very hard now to find a pub in Victoria let alone Australia with Fosters on tap, it is almost exclusively a global brand now, brewed in the country in which it is sold. CUB is owned by AB Inbev and Asahi have a bid on the table to buy CUB. Once that deal goes through all major Australian brewers, with the exception of Coopers, based in South Australia, will be owned by Japanese brewers.

There is no such thing as a bad beer, but Fosters would be my last choice.

A misguided plumber attempting to entertain | MainStage 3 | Axiom 61 2nd Gen | Pianoteq | B5 | XK3c | EV ZLX 12P

One thing I was considering, but am leaning against, was a "pony keg." I guess the upside is that it would produce fewer cans/bottles and presumably is more economical. But the downside is that it cuts down on the variety. And if there is anything left over, I can't save it for later.

By the way, do people care whether the beer is in a bottle or can? Cans take up less room in a cooler.

Edit: actually, I think I have my terminology wrong. I saw something at my local beer place that looked like it would be the equivalent of a couple of cases or so, but apparently not a "pony keg." Not sure what the proper term is.