Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT: Never to be seen again . . .

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I just went to a website that lets you calculate your life expectancy. I put in 72 years old (about typical for a lot of rockers from the Sixties and Seventies), smoke 1/2 a pack of cigarettes a day, drink 2-7 alcoholic drinks a week, and it showed a life expectancy of 86 years old, with a 75% chance of living to 79. That sounds pretty high to me, but if this is close to accurate, we won't see a lot of Sixties and Seventies rockers dying off for about ten or more years.

I wonder if they factored in accidents....

d=halfnote

Speaking of the Dead.... A friend asked me if I wanted to go see them at Soldier Field in Chicago back in 1995. Not being a fan, I said no. Soon afterward (just weeks I think?), Jerry Garcia was dead.

Oh, well. My brother saw them a bunch of times, and also saw them (well, most of them anyway) in 2015 with Trey Anastasio, and spent a sum equal to the GNP of several small nations to do so. He liked it.

Speaking of the Dead.... A friend asked me if I wanted to go see them at Soldier Field in Chicago back in 1995. Not being a fan, I said no.

I saw the dead 2x long before Garcia died. Probably the early 70's. I actually walked out on both shows early because I thought they kinda sucked at the time. The awesome (as advertised) sound system was the worst sound system I could imagine, it was a wall of speakers stacked almost to the ceiling of the stage, and it sounded awful. However I did buy the Working Mans Dead and a few other albums of theirs and enjoyed them immensely.

I hope to see John Fogerty one of these days if he ever comes to my area next year...He's definitely on my bucket list. I have a DVD of his "The Long Road Home" which I highly recommend. All of his CCR hits are on it with him doing all of the original guitar leads...he can get by exceptionally well without the other 3 (or should I say 2...as the original bass player is in the mix with the rest of the players). I still love their old albums. They were a California local San Francisco Bay Area 4 piece garage band that made it big back in my high school days, and are still one of my all-time favorites! :cool:

[video:youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PkqjNBfAmA8

:cool:

John is a tried and true real American 'Folk Rock/Rock/Pop" hero - never get tired of lsitening to those old CCR jam tunes like Heard It thru the Grapevine and Suzy Q -

another favorite:

[video:youtube]

Welcome Aboard Skypuppy! Yeah, I love the old CCR tunes. The only thing better is watching John do it live on the DVD. They even brought in his old tuck and roll Kustom amp to get the original sound using many of his guitars that he used on the albums. Including a custom made baseball bat guitar for "Centerfield" also "Deja Vu" is a really cool newer tune with him on acoustic guitar:

[video:youtube]

:cool:

Take care, Larryz

Speaking for myself-I self-authorized me-I don't think it's helpful to paste over

the sad part of losing someone in this life with a bunch of cheap platitudes, or

sports drink commercials about 'suck it up, play harder'. Fact is, when the knock

comes on your door, or the phone call at 3 a.m., it sucks.

It's a one-way street, and that's not nice when someone really special comes along.

Make the best of what's here while it's here.

Ticket prices in Tokyo are like a chimpanzee with a calculator.But if you're able to pay you can see the best.

I saw Steely Dan on the 'Two Against Nature' tour. G3 with John Petrucci and then Jeff Beck, within a month of each other.

Since then my situation has changed. There's no way I can dump that kind of cash on tickets-I'm more focused on train tickets to get to work.

As far as the music-some of you know, I sing current hits live, I have a performance tomorrow night. That means listening to some truly awful

music, but when I do run across a gem it's like, 'aha!' moment. That's just me-I started going to clubs with my friends not long after I played my

first proper live gigs. That plus the piano being technically the first instrument I had lessons on, and I never felt like dance beats with keyboards and

rock and roll were mortal enemies. Yes on a working level, I was not happy when bands I was in didn't get gigs because the club owner wanted a DJ.

But that didn't affect my taste in listening. The Cars were an example of a band that fused synth keyboards with slick guitar riffs.

I still love the classics, but frankly I just don't have time for nostalgia. I still have a recording project on hold, and I'm always searching for new songs

for the next show.

Same old surprises, brand new cliches-

Skipsounds on Soundclick:

www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandid=602491