Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

My favorite iOS interface (or gigging laptop/tablet)

I mentioned this once before, but it was buried in a thread where perhaps many who might be interested wouldn't see it, and seeing that the topic just came up again, I thought I'd re-post this info more visibly, with some elaboration...

The iOS interface with the most enthusiasm around here seems to be the Korg PlugKey, I think largely because it has a convenient audio out with volume control. But I found something that meets that criteria which I think is better,:

Alesis Control Hub ($79) plus an Apple Lightning to USB 3 Camera Adapter ($39).

Like a Plugkey, you have MIDI IN, stereo line out, headphone jack, and a volume control. But better...

1. the main outs and the headphone out each have their own volume control (which means you can easily shut the volume to the mains while you're checking something with phones)

2. it has a MIDI OUT so you can also take advantage of apps that can send MIDI Program Changes out to your hardware (Camelot Pro, Keystage, iMidiPatchbay, Set List Maker, etc.).

3. and since it's not hard-wired to lightning, unlike the Plugkey, you can use the same interface on your PC/Mac (or newer iOS device).

4. Alesis also adds a connection for a single or dual footswitch, which can toggle (alternately send values 0 or 127) on CC#14 (and CC#15 if you use dual switch) on MIDI channel 1. Quirky little feature. But it could come in handy for dedicating a footswitch to something in an app without having to repurpose or monopolize the use of an existing pedal attached to your keyboard.

The Alesis piece doesn't have the Korg's charging port, but you get that from the Apple camera adapter.

Also interesting is the stuff from iConnectivity, e.g. the iConnectMIDI2+ if you want to connect two 5-pin MIDI devices and/or two computers (say, an iOS device and a Windows tablet). But that doesn't have an analog audio output, and the ones that do it all are bigger and pricier. If one keyboard and one device is what you're looking for, I like the Alesis.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh, this is their new thing to replace their old thing that had an actual USB hub in it. I will probably investigate, but I am really getting frustrated with all these boxes that have 5-pin MIDI and no USB-A host ports for controllers that don't have DIN MIDI on them.

Dr. Mike Metlay (PhD in nuclear physics, golly gosh) :D

Musician, Author, Editor, Educator, Impresario, Online Radio Guy, Cut-Rate Polymath, and Kindly Pedant

Editor-in-Chief, Bjooks ~ Author of SYNTH GEMS 1

clicky!:  more about me ~ my radio station (and my fam) ~ my local tribe ~ my day job ~ my bookmy music

I mentioned this once before, but it was buried in a thread where perhaps many who might be interested wouldn't see it, and seeing that the topic just came up again, I thought I'd re-post this info more visibly, with some elaboration...

*coughcoughcomputerlabforumcoughcough*

:D

Dr. Mike Metlay (PhD in nuclear physics, golly gosh) :D

Musician, Author, Editor, Educator, Impresario, Online Radio Guy, Cut-Rate Polymath, and Kindly Pedant

Editor-in-Chief, Bjooks ~ Author of SYNTH GEMS 1

clicky!:  more about me ~ my radio station (and my fam) ~ my local tribe ~ my day job ~ my bookmy music

Oh, this is their new thing to replace their old thing that had an actual USB hub in it. I will probably investigate, but I am really getting frustrated with all these boxes that have 5-pin MIDI and no USB-A host ports for controllers that don't have DIN MIDI on them.

Staying in the context of connecting just a single board, if you're using a USB-only controller, you arguably don't need a MIDI interface at all. Just plug the controller right into the USB port of your tablet (though on most iPads, you'll need one of the camera connection kits in order to get that USB port). So then you only have to deal with how to get the audio out of it, which will vary depending on whether you have a model with a headphone jack or not, but that's not the scenario I'm addressing here.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Interesting, I just ordered the plugkey so I can use ravenscroft at rehearsals where old digitals are provided.

As posted in the other thread I realized today that key largo would work plug and play for both sound and midi with an iPad if I use a powered usb hub in between the iPad and the largo. Pretty neat solution, I use the key largo a lot.

¨The only issue I have with the iPad as a sound engine is that not all applications use the same format for plugins, in the best of worlds all plugins should work with Camelot. It's possible but non-trivial to play Korgs apps from Camelot.

As posted in the other thread I realized today that key largo would work plug and play for both sound and midi with an iPad if I use a powered usb hub in between the iPad and the largo.
Hey fjzingo, in this scenario, how is your keyboard connecting to your iPad? I'm trying to understand the connections and cables needed. Thank you

Some music I've recorded and played over the years with a few different bands

Tommy Rude Soundcloud

Just to add to the confusion (and to address Dr. Mike's point above), the Novation Audiohub 2×4 Interface is kind of nifty with iPads.

https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/novation-audiohub-2x4

Good parts: it has three (!) USB connections, so you can plug several cheap USB-connecting keyboards to one hub, as well as the iPad. Can dramatically reduce cable clutter. It is also an Audio interface.

Less good:

Unfortunately, no 5-pin MIDI. It is also discontinued, so you have to buy used.

Pretty slick solution, a lot of "iPad only" musicians swear by them. I recently bought one for ~ $70, pretty cool so far.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys, in honor of hacktober, resurrecting this recent zombie thread

Details on setup:

Nord Electro 6D 73

Yamaha MD-BT01 wireless midi (connect to Nord)

Radial Key Largo (with USB-B)

iPad Pro 12.9 (with USB-C, cable runs from iPad to Key Largo)

Lo and behold, it all works, EXCEPT - there is just a hint of latency, dang! :-( Just enough to be noticeable to me. On legato types of patches and parts, would be fine.

So while this is a pretty slick setup, and all the apps instantly recognized the Yamaha, the latency is a showstopper for me right now, and I don't think there's a better wireless midi device. Next step for me will be to try an audio interface.

Tommy Rude Soundcloud

Try using the Key Largo for both MIDI in and audio out. I don't own one, but it should be possible.

Howard Grand|Hamm SK1-73|Kurz PC2|PC2X|PC3|PC3X|PC361; QSC K10's

HP DAW|Epi Les Paul & LP 5-str bass|iPad mini2

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Jim

Seems like you sorted the cables etc, yeah the latency is interesting to work against.

I get used to the latency if I only use the ipad, but I cannot combine with internal keyboard sounds with a different latency....

I've got the korg plugkey and a babyface, the latency issues are similar.Then again I have the same issue with mainstage, haven't tried yet to run everything from mainstage.

/F

Hey guys, in honor of hacktober, resurrecting this recent zombie thread

Details on setup:

Nord Electro 6D 73

Yamaha MD-BT01 wireless midi (connect to Nord)

Radial Key Largo (with USB-B)

iPad Pro 12.9 (with USB-C, cable runs from iPad to Key Largo)

Lo and behold, it all works, EXCEPT - there is just a hint of latency, dang! :-( Just enough to be noticeable to me. On legato types of patches and parts, would be fine.

So while this is a pretty slick setup, and all the apps instantly recognized the Yamaha, the latency is a showstopper for me right now, and I don't think there's a better wireless midi device. Next step for me will be to try an audio interface.

Hey Moody & fjzingo, thanks guys. I got this resolved, thanks to you guys and Mike over on the computer lab forum (and all you other guys on this thread, thank you for helping me out!)

Mike pointed out that the Key Largo is an audio interface (damn I'm dumb), and I think you were pointing that out as well Moody. Basically dumped the wireless and ran a midi cable from the Nord to the Key Largo (and the iPad to the KL as well).

Works like a charm with no latency.. just one extra cable. That Yamaha wireless midi unit is very cool and tiny, just that slight bit of latency.

Tommy Rude Soundcloud

Hey Moody & fjzingo, thanks guys. I got this resolved, thanks to you guys and Mike over on the computer lab forum (and all you other guys on this thread, thank you for helping me out!)

Mike pointed out that the Key Largo is an audio interface (damn I'm dumb), and I think you were pointing that out as well Moody. Basically dumped the wireless and ran a midi cable from the Nord to the Key Largo (and the iPad to the KL as well).

Works like a charm with no latency.. just one extra cable. That Yamaha wireless midi unit is very cool and tiny, just that slight bit of latency.

Quick question for clarification -

Are you saying you can use the KeyLargo as an audio interface for the iPad? I thought the KeyLargo was not class compliant (i.e., would not work with iPads, and would only work with computers with the correct drivers).

Would love to be wrong about that!

roy

Quick question for clarification -

Are you saying you can use the KeyLargo as an audio interface for the iPad? I thought the KeyLargo was not class compliant (i.e., would not work with iPads, and would only work with computers with the correct drivers).

Would love to be wrong about that!

roy

uh oh... don't know! It worked fine with mine (iPad Pro 12.9")

Tommy Rude Soundcloud

Hmm, weird. Or given the season, maybe I should say "spooky".

Well, anyway, this could be pretty exciting for a lot of iPad users.

Do you mind if I ask - are you running the Audio out of the iPad into the KeyLargo, or connecting the USB-C connector from the iPad into the USB port on the KeyLargo?

(I ask because your previous post just says "iPad Pro 12.9 (with USB-C, cable runs from iPad to Key Largo)", so I wasn't sure).

Maybe for some reason the KeyLargo will work with USB-C on the iPad.

Interesting, the Radial site for KeyLargo still says:

"Does the Key Largo support iOS devices?

The Key-Largo is not supported by iOS devices. The USB connection on the Key-Largo was designed to be connected to laptop or a computer with a USB port. We do have other products, however, that will work with iOS devices such as the BT-Pro and the SB-5."

https://www.radialeng.com/product/key-largo/faq

Don't mean to be interrogating you, I just was very excited about the KeyLargo until learning it would not work for iOS devices - maybe it does now!

roy

UPDATE:

The mystery deepens....

Just dug up this post on a Sweetwater review site:

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/KeyLargo--radial-key-largo-keyboard-mixer-with-balanced-di-outs/reviews

"Very cool! And it does work with iOS!!"

The poster (Edward) says the Key Largo will work with iOS if you use: 1) short USB cables, and 2) a powered USB hub.

Maybe the iPad Pro USB-C somehow gets around the powered USB Hub requirement?

This could be very cool news - I (and probably many others) really wanted to buy a Key Largo, but besides hardware keyboards, my main "sound module" is an iPad, thus I have been holding off on buying one.

Anything that can streamline my setup but retain quality and flexibility is a win!

Do you mind if I ask - are you running the Audio out of the iPad into the KeyLargo, or connecting the USB-C connector from the iPad into the USB port on the KeyLargo?
There is only one port on my iPad - the USB-C. No headphone jack. I'm using one of those adapters - USB-C (plug into the iPad) to USB-B (plug into the KL).

Don't mean to be interrogating you, I just was very excited about the KeyLargo until learning it would not work for iOS devices - maybe it does now!
Not at all.. interrogate away! It's working for me

Tommy Rude Soundcloud

UPDATE:

The mystery deepens....

Just dug up this post on a Sweetwater review site:

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/KeyLargo--radial-key-largo-keyboard-mixer-with-balanced-di-outs/reviews

"Very cool! And it does work with iOS!!"

The poster (Edward) says the Key Largo will work with iOS if you use: 1) short USB cables, and 2) a powered USB hub.

Maybe the iPad Pro USB-C somehow gets around the powered USB Hub requirement?

This could be very cool news - I (and probably many others) really wanted to buy a Key Largo, but besides hardware keyboards, my main "sound module" is an iPad, thus I have been holding off on buying one.

hmmmm.... I am using short cables right now. I'm not using a powered USB hub (edit: unless the Key Largo is acting as a powered hub?) And here's something SPOOKY. I connected it all up, Nord fired up, the iPad fired up, open one of the apps (Korg) - - I start playing, look over at the iPad, I can see the app is reacting, but no sound... damn! Then I looked down, the Key Largo had come unplugged - no power. But the midi was working despite the fact that it was unplugged?? I guess the midi connection doesn't need power? Plugged in the KL and boom - crankin'!

Tommy Rude Soundcloud

I discovered that the USB-C hub would make my key largo work with my two iPads, without not. Guess the audio interface needs to be powered and the lightning port lacks the juice the usb C ports on the current iPad pro's have. For some reason the midi works exactly as slaygetter describes...weird when you don't know where gear takes their power from.

Anyhow

usb-c iPads - use key largo immediately

lightning iPads - use key largo with a usb hub

/F

Anything that can streamline my setup but retain quality and flexibility is a win!

There is only one port on my iPad - the USB-C. No headphone jack. I'm using one of those adapters - USB-C (plug into the iPad) to USB-B (plug into the KL).

Not at all.. interrogate away! It's working for me

I discovered that the USB-C hub would make my key largo work with my two iPads, without not. Guess the audio interface needs to be powered and the lightning port lacks the juice the usb C ports on the current iPad pro's have. For some reason the midi works exactly as slaygetter describes...weird when you don't know where gear takes their power from.

From Mike over on the Computer Lab forum (those guys rock over there!)

When things connect via USB, one of the things that they discuss between themselves is who needs power and how much. The iPad decided that it could power the USB interface part of the Key Largo, but that in order for the mixer to work, it needed its real power supply.

Tommy Rude Soundcloud

fwiw, I am doing my first gig tonight using JUST the iPad and a Sl88.Everything is setup in AUM Mixer (I have Camelot, but it is still too unreliable for prime time) so it iwll be interesting to see how it goes. It's been solid in the studio (touch wood haha) so hopefuuly no problems. I am fortunate that my iPad Pro 12 is the 1st gen (mebbe 2??) so it has the headphone out jack which provides really good audio to the mixer. Sl88 is connected to usb via lightning to USB adaptor. So no interfaces at all!

There is no luck - luck is simply the confluence of circumstance and co-incidence...

Time is the final arbiter for all things

Hey Dennis, I just viewed this thread... hope the gig went well. Good to see you"re well into AUM too.

On topic, I got an iConnectivity Audio 4+ on CL which I promptly had to take to the shop to have capacitors replaced... so I"m invested in it for the time-being. If I use it in the studio only, as it"s ready to go with either iOS or MacOS instruments, instantly. There are two or three things about it that I really don"t like, so now that I know what I"m looking for I"d probably go with something more tactile ie Tascam.

Outside the studio I use iOS so the interface is portable & easy: Korg PlugKey, but if I were looking for an alternative, that Alesis looks perfect.

Here for the gear.

fwiw, I am doing my first gig tonight using JUST the iPad and a Sl88.Everything is setup in AUM Mixer (I have Camelot, but it is still too unreliable for prime time) so it iwll be interesting to see how it goes. It's been solid in the studio (touch wood haha) so hopefuuly no problems. I am fortunate that my iPad Pro 12 is the 1st gen (mebbe 2??) so it has the headphone out jack which provides really good audio to the mixer. Sl88 is connected to usb via lightning to USB adaptor. So no interfaces at all!
how did the gig go?

Tommy Rude Soundcloud