Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

keylargo+usbhub+ipad = works!!

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, this is a general rule. iOS devices get very fussy if they think a peripheral will pull too much power, but a powered hub can usually forestall this. Usually. I have one or two interfaces that I really wish worked with hubs and iOS devices, that won't. The MIYO is probably the one I miss most.

mike

Dr. Mike Metlay (PhD in nuclear physics, golly gosh) :D

Musician, Author, Editor, Educator, Impresario, Online Radio Guy, Cut-Rate Polymath, and Kindly Pedant

Editor-in-Chief, Bjooks ~ Author of SYNTH GEMS 1

clicky!:  more about me ~ my radio station (and my fam) ~ my local tribe ~ my day job ~ my bookmy music

• 3 years later...

Which powered hub are you using with the iPad? I acquired a "Atolla 4-Port USB 3.0 Hub " but no luck. The Audiobus app in my iPad displays "Radial Keylargo" as an output option (it displays it even when connecting directly without the hub) but no sound. The Keylargo works fine with my Mac so I think the hub is the problem.

On 9/23/2019 at 9:03 AM, fjzingo said:

I've always been disappointed that the key largo doesn't work with ipad.

That is no longer true, if you use a powered usb hub in between key largo can act as a sound card for you're ipad, thus enabling live playing not only using a mac, but also an ipad!!

You're saying it doesn't work with an unpowered hub, but couldn't you have used it with your iPad if you used an AC adapter to power it? I see it has a connection for 15vdc power.

I had an iPad and was never pleased with it.  I recently picked up a MacBook Air M2 (MBA2) for my practice area.   The MBA2 is basically the same size as my old iPad Pro.   MBA2 has two USB-C ports with enough power for external devices and with MagSafe port I can have power connected if I want.  MBA2 you're running OSX so real file system and Mac apps like Logic and other DAWs work.   Some iOS app will run on OSX Monterey on Apple Silicon, but only some.  Also the MBA2 has a headphone port so I don't have to deal with bluetooth latency.   

So basically the same size a MBA2 can do a whole lot more and without a bunch of dongles and such.   I think with the MBA2 is worth consideration for musicians versus a iPad.  

Interesting.  I haven't needed this since my Modx has an audio interface, but I was thinking (and still might) go with a Fantom or Kronos in its place.  That said, I don't need the ipad anymore since I added an SK Pro to the rig :)    (I will say that B-3X really holds its own sound-wise against the SK pro!)

So I don't need organ, but I still might mess with some synths.  Although, the modx synth sounds are pretty good once you dig in and do some programming.

I don't really want to mess with a powered hub but I could add it to the powered stuff on my pedalboard, which includes the Key Largo (and pre-wire it to the KL so that's one less thing too.)