Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Rachel Flowers' Jaco Pastorius covers

rminsk

Teen Town

This is my cover of Teen Town by Weather Report, from the album Heavy Weather. I didn't use any click track. The drums were all played live, starting with the basic rhythm track, then I added the drum hits. I later made the two drum tracks separately in mono, so I could control the reverb for the drum hits. The synth sounds were a combination of the Nord piano 2 88 and Yamaha m06. The Rhodes piano was done on the Korg SV 88, and I played real fretless bass. For the doubling unison spots, I recorded them separately without hearing the other bass track, so it would make it easier to concentrate on the pitches. I sang the soprano saxophone parts also through a Lewitt MTP540 microphone. The conga drums were done on the Yamaha m06.

Continuum

Here's my new Jaco cover!

I doubled the bass in two tracks. The only parts that are not live are the parts with thirds and sixths harmonies after the first fast part, but the rest was played all together. The drums were from Session Drummer, the pianos are the Nord Piano 2 HA88. The rest is fretless bass. This is from Jaco's self-titled album.

Portrait of Tracy

Portrait of Tracy is a composition for solo fretless bass by Jaco Pastorius. It is from his self titled first solo album, released in 1976, before he joined Weather Report.

Elegant People

This is my cover of the great Wayne Shorter composition, Elegant People from the album Black Market by Weather Report. The saxophone is played on my Roli Seaboard Grand from a program called SWAM Sample Modeling. The strings are East West Hollywood Strings, Diamond Edition. The rest of the orchestra is the Vienna Symphonic Library. The percussion is from Garritan Jazz and Big Band. The piano is my Nord 88, the new Silver Grand sample. I played real fretless bass. The drums are from Session Drummer 3 - Legends Kit 2.

I listened to a lot of different versions and was interested in orchestrating the piece. This is what I came up with.

• Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic