Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Getting an iPad to come through your speakers

Hey gang, feeling very stupid here, but that's normal and common for me.

So I had a Studiologic NC2X, USB midi'd up to an iPad. Various apps, Raven, Korg, NeoSoul et al. All working. I had two 1/4" cables from the output of the Studiologic to my P.A. system. The iPad sounds somehow automatically coming out of the P.A., so something inside the Studiologic was sending the iPad sounds. I don't recall doing anything fancy in my setup, literally just connecting the keyboard to the iPad. No iPad mixer - just direct to the various sound generating apps.

So now I'm trying the same thing, except switching boards. Instead of the Studiologic, using a Nord S2X. Hooked up to the iPad - all working, misc apps, organs, pianos, etc. Except no sound coming through the P.A. The only thing making sound is the iPad itself.

Tried messing with the Extern section of the Nord, and other Midi related stuff - nothing working. I'm thinking the same setup should work with the Nord, hoping I don't need to add an interface.

Can someone help a simple man out with some basic tips or tricks? I'll spring for the beers. :-)

Some music I've recorded and played over the years with a few different bands

Tommy Rude Soundcloud

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Studiologic NC2X does audio over USB, Nord does not.

On a Nord Stage 2/2EX, you could take a line out from the Headphone jack of your iPad and run it to the Monitor In jack of your Nord; then go Headphone Out of your Nord into your PA. (Not Line Out, because the Monitor Input is not echoed to the Line Out on those boards... though it is on the Nord Stage 3.)

That's all from memory, I hope it's all right, but I think it is.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

I'm a Korg Plug Key User for all of the same iPad apps you are using. I use the iPad and Korg Plug Key output like a module for my Viscount Legend Live (which has no extra tones besides organs),

Sometimes using the audio direct out of an iPad into a keyboard loop can create undesired noise and interference, so the Plug Key is a handy dandy product.

Yamaha U1 Upright, Roland Fantom 8, Nord Stage 4 HA73, Nord Wave 2, Korg Nautilus 73, Viscount Legend Live, Lots of Mainstage/VST Libraries

thank you thank you guys. AnotherScott, thanks for that fundamental point. seems odd that all boards don't incorporate audio over USB?

As for the Korg Plug Key, it looks like it works with older iPads, uses the lightning connector. But the new iPad Pro (I'm using that), has USB-C.

Wondering if anyone is using the iPad Pro and has solved this problem? Simply using an adapter with the Korg Plug Key, or using some other similar interface?

Tommy Rude Soundcloud

thank you thank you guys. AnotherScott, thanks for that fundamental point. seems odd that all boards don't incorporate audio over USB?

As for the Korg Plug Key, it looks like it works with older iPads, uses the lightning connector. But the new iPad Pro (I'm using that), has USB-C.

Wondering if anyone is using the iPad Pro and has solved this problem? Simply using an adapter with the Korg Plug Key, or using some other similar interface?

I am not aware of any adapter that allows you to plug Lightning peripherals into a USB-C iPad. What I recommend in your case is that you get a small USB audio interface that can handle a USB-C-to-whatever adapter cable. Pretty much any class-compliant USB interface will work with the iPad's Core Audio drivers, without any fuss. If you have a spare place to plug in another wall wart, having one with its own power is never a bad idea; the alternative is to get one that's designed to work with very low current draw that the iPad can power. They're out there, but often you can't tell if one will work reliably until you try it.

It may be a while before Korg releases a USB-C plugKEY, the penetration of the new iPad Pros into the music market has been very limited so far because they don't have headphone jacks. And they were able to save money by making the Lightning cable non-detachable, which is a bit of a drag in the long term...

mike

Dr. Mike Metlay (PhD in nuclear physics, golly gosh) :D

Musician, Author, Editor, Educator, Impresario, Online Radio Guy, Cut-Rate Polymath, and Kindly Pedant

Editor-in-Chief, Bjooks ~ Author of SYNTH GEMS 1

clicky!:  more about me ~ my radio station (and my fam) ~ my local tribe ~ my day job ~ my bookmy music

Thank you Doctor! I'm wondering how these work, and how to maintain the Midi connection between the controller and the iPad? I think some of you guys have posted diagrams of your setups, showing the various elements of your rigs and the cable connections. I think EscapeRocks may have done a beautiful diagram, will have to dig and find that.

And maybe a simpler answer is just to buy a keyboard that already has audio over USB, then you don't need to mess with another device and more cables! :-)

Anyone else using an iPad Pro in their "live" rig? How are you connecting it up?

Tommy Rude Soundcloud

AnotherScott, thanks for that fundamental point. seems odd that all boards don't incorporate audio over USB?

It's still the exception rather than the rule.

Problem solved with something I think is better than PlugKey, for that increased device compatibility among other things. Rather than post here, I started a new thread on it, since it may interest people beyond those following this topic.

https://forums.musicplayer.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/3009114#Post3009114

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)