Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Guitarist Playing Keith Emerson Solos... Heresy!

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

as much as I like guitar, when I heard the first 10 secs of Hoedown, that sealed the deal.

I totally prefer mr Emersons great work, any day, any century.

Why fit in, when you were born to stand out ?

My Soundcloud with many originals:

[70's Songwriter]

If Keith was still around, he'd listen to that, grin at Paul and just say "Bloody hell, tryin' to put me out of work, mate?" He loved Rachel Flowers, so he'd surely have a similar take here.

"Why can't they just make up something of their own?"
           ~ The great Richard Matheson, on the movie remakes of his book, "I Am Legend"

Dang it......

I was all set to plan to go see "Carl Palmer's ELP Legacy Band" near Worcester in a couple of months -- until I started viewing all the youtube videos showing the band fronted by guitars and NOT keys....

I can't do it...

This youtube video of CP's-ELP-LB covering Hoedown (click for link) sealed the deal for me -- I won't pay to see that...

( The facial expressions of the guitarist didn't help either........................ )

Old No7

Yamaha MODX6 * Hammond SK Pro 73 * Roland Fantom-08 * Crumar Mojo Pedals * Mackie Thump 12As * Tascam DP-24SD * JBL 305 MkIIs

It's not to my taste either, but Kudos to Palmer for creating a different take on the musical legacy. I think he succeeds in creating a unique twist on the music, that avoids the "cover band" slot.

Yes, guess you're right on that.... Hadn't thought of his avoiding the "cover band" stigma.

I was impressed with his drumming on the many vids I reviewed, but the guitars -- not so much... Sure, impressive musicianship to cover Keith's licks and runs on frets -- just not something I'll pay to see...

Old No7

Yamaha MODX6 * Hammond SK Pro 73 * Roland Fantom-08 * Crumar Mojo Pedals * Mackie Thump 12As * Tascam DP-24SD * JBL 305 MkIIs

There's also a few pretty good axe-men out there who shredded the Four Seasons (Vivaldi) as well ;) Pretty damn good too I reckon!

There is no luck - luck is simply the confluence of circumstance and co-incidence...

Time is the final arbiter for all things

Sorta like present-day King Crimson: they've done one hell of a job divorcing themselves from the infinitely iconic Belew era sound, while still making the music really come

Maybe this is heresy, but the greatest bands don't stay "true" to their sound, they evolve as they-themselves evolve, and ignore what fans THINK they should evolve to.

Puck Funk! :)

Equipment: Laptop running lots of nerdy software, some keyboards, noise makersâ¦yada yada yadaâ¦maybe a cat?

Yep, I felt the same way about those Carl Palmer videos. Totally lacking soul, timbral variety, dynamics, etc. But guitar can be OK (I'm not a big guitar fan in general, placing it just barely above organ on my preference list), as was evidenced by the great work done by The Nice. So it may just be the player at fault, vs. the choice of instrument. Yet I would think it makes sense to re-imagine the parts fairly significantly as well, once shifting them from Emerson's keys.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

I saw Carl Palmer doing the ELP tribute thing when I saw Yes...uh...two years ago, I think it was. I loved listening to Palmer, but the guitar covering the keyboard parts did not work for me at all.

To be honest, given that Alan White wasn't doing well (he only effectively played half the show, with Steve Howe's son covering for him when he was unable to play), I kept thinking what a blast it would be to have Carl Palmer playing with Yes. Unthinkable back in the day, but it sure seems like a natural fit to me now.

Grey

I'm not interested in someone's ability to program. I'm interested in their ability to compose and play.